Sign in to follow this  
HappyDaze

Refitting the Wayfarer

Because of the size of the group, the Wayfarer is looking attractive as a ship. We have one modification we'd like to make ASAP, and that's giving it a pair of turrets with coverage similar to the YTs.

The ship comes with a single Dorsal Quad Laser firing into the forward arc. Would it be possible to modify this weapon mount into a turret mount (not costing a hardpoint) or should it just be removed and replaced (costing a hardpoint) to give a Dorsal Quad Laser turret? If the Quad Laser is removed and replaced into another mount, could another weapon later be stuck back into the original (now empty) dorsal forward mount at no cost in hardpoints?

Adding the Ventral Quad Laser turret would be a simple matter of spending the credits and using a hardpoint, right?

Is there any reason when spending hardpoints to add weapons in restrictive (non-turret) mounts (so long as the configuration of the hull would seem to support it)?

Of course, looking at the images of the ship I can find, I'm suprised that the standard weapon fit isn't a dorsal twin laser cannon like on the YT-2400. I might just houserule that change - a lighter weapon with a better firing arc - as the standard.

Edited by HappyDaze

It is really up to the GM.  A turret would take up more space on a ship then  forward mounted weapons.  When you have highly customizable ships, like most light transports, a lot of leeway can be given.

But to swtich forward mounted weapons to Turret should not cost customization points (according to the beta rules I have) but adding a second turret would.

Just because you don't see anything obvious on the dorsal side, does not mean  anyhting.  COuld be a sensor suite, secret cargo, extra crew quarters or storage. or even a meditation room that has movable bulkheds to allow viewing through transparasteel

1) If the Quad Laser is removed and replaced into another mount, could another weapon later be stuck back into the original (now empty) dorsal forward mount at no cost in hardpoints?

2) Adding the Ventral Quad Laser turret would be a simple matter of spending the credits and using a hardpoint, right?

3) Is there any reason when spending hardpoints to add weapons in restrictive (non-turret) mounts (so long as the configuration of the hull would seem to support it)?

1) If you keep track of it sure, or you could gain 1 HP when removing the original weapon. Replacing costs 0 HP in most cases.

2) Yes. That's the idea :ph34r:

3) Not sure what you mean.

About turning an existing weapon into a turret, I'd put a price in credits on that, and perhaps a few mechanics checks if the mech in the group wants to do it him/herself. About 1/3 of the weapons cost as per table 7-17 if going to a mech to get it done, 1/4 if doing it yourself. Or something along those lines.

Re: question 3

If you're adding a weapon why would you ever add anything with a restricted firing arc when you could add a turret for the same cost in hard points (and, unless I missed it, no added cost in credits either)?

The only reason I can think of just now is for pilot controlled weaponry on the YT (or any ship really) - like my group's pilot wants. I'd find it hard to accept a Pilot firing a turret. It's probably not stated in the rules, but my rule of thumb is that turrets require a dedicated gunner.

So if the pilot is ok with having no weapons, sure, turrets all the way. I'd still limit it somewhat depending on hull, size of cannon and numbers of turrets. Adding more turrets to the YT-1300 shouldn't really be a problem, but I'd perhaps make it slightly more expensive, just to be an arsehole really - I'd rather have the ship modified in other ways than only weaponry...

I agree on pilots not being able to target outside of the forward arc, but I'd still let them fire a turret into that arc. This is like the Y-Wing turret. In fact, that may be the answer to the gun on the Wayfarer right now (limited to forward if locked down and fired from pilot's station, or all arcs if unlocked and fired with dedicated gunner).

Yeah... different type of turret (not planetary scale I'd say) and the starship was stationary the only time we've seen it being used. But each to his own, I know I wouldn't let a pilot in a dogfight use the turrets on a YT-1300 to fire at Ties in the aft fire arc, not without many setback dice or an upgrade or two at the very least. But hey, the rules are intentionally vague on this - I assume, I haven't tried to find anything about this in the core book - so there is no rule saying its not allowed, nor that it is allowed - to my knowledge.

Edited by Jegergryte

Only reason a group might want to go with a non-turret weapon as opposed to a turret weapon is for purely role-playing reasons, such as the group using a couple of salvaged laser cannons from a Z-95 to beef up their Firespray's firepower, and figuring such an addition would naturally prohibit mounting them as turret weapons.

On terms of pure mechanics, there's generally no reason not to go for a turret-based weapon when upgrading your ship, since an upgraded weapons' fire arc is determined solely by the player, and unless they're flying a starfighter (which generally has forward-facing weapons anyway), the more firing arcs you can target enemy ships from, the better.

Based on the existing deck-plan for the Wayfarer (possibly my favorite ship), it has the dorsal turret *and* a port turret (front, left, and aft arcs), so it would seem that the design can handle it.

For adding a turret I would say common sense it. Look at where the current fixed fire arc weapons are and ask yourself is it possible to make that into a manned turret? For adding turrets to ships that normally don't have them, I would have it take away some of its available space for carrying things as the turret itself will need to take up space due to access and more. 

For adding a turret I would say common sense it. Look at where the current fixed fire arc weapons are and ask yourself is it possible to make that into a manned turret? For adding turrets to ships that normally don't have them, I would have it take away some of its available space for carrying things as the turret itself will need to take up space due to access and more.

Turrets don't have to be manned. Remote operated turrets exist in star wars. As for making sense, since aerodynamics don't matter at all, you could remount the lasers on a TIE into a chin turret if you wanted (side panels would lit side firing, bit the tail could be covered). Edited by HappyDaze

Turrets don't have to be manned. Remote operated turrets exist in star wars. As for making sense, since aerodynamics don't matter at all, you could remount the lasers on a TIE into a chin turret if you wanted (side panels would lit side firing, bit the tail could be covered).

Technically, a remote-operated turret is still manned, it's just not manned *at* the turret.  Something to keep in mind if you're looking at how upgrades can fit in an existing design.

For example, the Wayfarer has what could easily be a dedicated turret station [zone 7] for the side turret I mentioned earlier.  But it also has 6 seats on the bridge.  There's no reason that one (or more) of those couldn't be gunner's stations.  (Especially when you consider that it only has 3 flight crew, and one of those will be back in engineering [zone 16].)

TheRevenge_2.jpg

Edited by Voice

Personally, I think restriction on turret mounts should exist, based on the size and shape of the vessel, number of personnel aboard, etc. It's just... not something that EotE tracks accurately, so it would be inevitably be something of a case-by-case resolution.

For instance, I wouldn't let a Firespray upgrade its' forward blasters to turret mounted blasters for free (hardpoint-wise), but I have no issue with upgrading a Wayfarer's forward gun to a turret gun (if I had to justify myself, I'd say that changes necessary to mount the Firespray's guns in a turret would require significant changes to the hull, represented by the increased hardpoint cost).

Where can I find the cost to add the new weapons? I saw a section with prices on upgrades, but not on straight additions.

It's the same list for both upgrades and new additions. The text details the difference in hardpoint cost whether you are upgrading/replacing an existing weapon or adding something completely new (in short: it's free if replacing an existing weapon, costs 1 hard point if adding a new weapon). The credit cost should be the same.