Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
El_Tonio

What Star Wars minis do you think you'll use most in EotE?

59 posts in this topic

I fully intend to use my old minis as much as possible. Namely the Rodian Blaster-For-Hire.

Edited by The Whacko

I would like to see some more cardboard tokens, as much as I would love to, I am too cheap to stock up on the WotC minis.

I also might make my own. I would scan the beginner game tokens, print more on regular cardstock, and glue them to 1 inch wooden discs made from sawing up wooden rods from a craft store.

If you're planning on doing a lot, something like this might save you a lot of effort. A little more expensive than a wood rod but much more easier. (Haven't tried it myself)

Ooh, I had forgotten about that thing! Thanks, I might have to order me one. I was mostly just looking for an excuse to fire up a a saw. I might still, I was also thinking some spray paint would let me color the discs differently for identification purposes. It'd be nice to have a few variations for commonly used enemies to help identify different minion groups for instance.

Anyway, the one inch hole punch will be a huge help, and they sell that for $9, so I will scout the cost of making my own tokens to glue them to, and see what sounds more affordable. :)

Edited by Mark It Zero

I'm confused...  You can use minis with this game?

I mean, I guess you can use them with any game, but there had been so much talk about EotE from the story-only/anti-grid-tactics folks that I just kind of thought that this game was written in a way where there would be no functional, rules-based use for them.

I mean, I guess you can use them with any game, but there had been so much talk about EotE from the story-only/anti-grid-tactics folks that I just kind of thought that this game was written in a way where there would be no functional, rules-based use for them.

There's not a huge tactical part of the rules, no.  But people love maps.  And people love minis, even in "Theater of the mind" games.  Even the beginner game included tokens to use on maps to give visual references for distances and the like.

There's not a huge tactical part of the rules, no.  But people love maps.  And people love minis, even in "Theater of the mind" games.  Even the beginner game included tokens to use on maps to give visual references for distances and the like.

Yeah, having played Edge in person and online several times, I can say that having maps and markers at least helps keep the 'theater of the mind' straight. Saying something like 'the Twi'lek thug runs to the back corner' works a lot better when you and your players can see which corner you mean and know where it is in reference to the minibar.

I am playing with 2 new players, and having a map, even using abstract distances, allowed for them to really surprise me with their descriptions. For instance, in the Cantina, the Bounty Hunter kept from the stage and ran across the table tops to try and get a clear shot (and look kinda awesome in the process.) The smuggler (also new) during the same encounter said, "I run over and leap behind the bar, taking a shot at the Gamorrean as I do so. Even tallied his own strain loss.

Not having some sort of visual representation would have probably made her resistant to getting so descriptive in their very first ever gaming encounter. Not just game, but literally the second time they picked up dice! (The first were hilarious attempts at hiding.) That is what sold me!

I'm still using abstract everything else, but this game blends really well with minis despite the grid free movement. You just lay down a map, scale can even be a tiny bit off, because then you just tell them how far it is from one side to the other, and they will know how many maneuvers it will take to get where they want to go. They won't have to spend time counting squares. If it'll take two maneuvers to cross the cantina and hop the bar, they will just say they are doing so.

I make my own paper minis! :)

papermini-fringer-aliens-03.jpg

papermini-eote-beginner-game-01.jpg

I downloaded some of these from your blog a little while back.  They definitely have more appeal for me than tokens, and are a cheaper option than buying the WotC miniatures.  Plus, you can make a paper miniature to fit any character.

Thank you for putting these together.

Hishgraphics likes this

I downloaded some of these from your blog a little while back.  They definitely have more appeal for me than tokens, and are a cheaper option than buying the WotC miniatures.  Plus, you can make a paper miniature to fit any character.

Thank you for putting these together.

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy them. It'd be great to see photos of other groups using these for game some day. I'll try to make some more when I have the time. Maybe more bounty hunters or people in Rebel Alliance uniforms and such. Time's always the problem. ;-)

Farsox likes this

Last I checked you can get some of the Star Wars minis of common rarity, like stormtroopers and alien thugs, pretty dirt cheap on sites like Strike Zone.

I will chime in and also say that CoolStuffInc has a great selection of miniatures.  Just don't buy them all up before I can buy what I need over the next couple of weeks.  I was able to locate my original Star Wars miniatures map of a town setting on Tattooine (not sure which product it came with) and plan to use it in my campaign for when/if the party goes exploring in Mos Shuuta and run afoul with the storm troopers. 

Which reminds me, if others are using the beginner boxset adventure as the leapfrog into the mechanics of this great new RPG setting, has anyone consider turning Lt. Herkin into a rival that harries the party on and off in future adventures?  I am considering making him someone that they have to contend with if they kill Teemo later on.  He is after them for killing one of his black market connections and as such might be after them to bring them to justice or use them to help him make a new connection and work some type of obligation in. 

I've been trawling ebay for the 25mm West End Games/Grenadier lead minis I wanted but couldn't afford at the time.

And if FFG does do a minis game, may the Great Maker save us from the curse of floppy prepainted plastic miniatures!

I've been trawling ebay for the 25mm West End Games/Grenadier lead minis I wanted but couldn't afford at the time.

And if FFG does do a minis game, may the Great Maker save us from the curse of floppy prepainted plastic miniatures!

Well, the X-Wing miniatures are pre-painted, but they're of very high quality and not at all floppy like the WotC starship minis could sometimes be. Hopefully any sort of character miniatures would be of a similar quality.

There was/is a SW miniature game with painted miniatures. Anyone know where I can find those?

The WOTC game? If so, I would imagine their license ran out and they no longer make them. NobleKnight sells them still, as do other sites.

I'd like some sort of standups. For WFRP we use the card board standups and they're just fine. But it seems FFG won't include that kind of stuff with this game.

I'd like some sort of standups. For WFRP we use the card board standups and they're just fine. But it seems FFG won't include that kind of stuff with this game.

Cardboard standups might fall within the realm of 'board game', which FFG don't have the rights to.

Still, they're easy enough to make on one's own!

One potential resource for minis if folks are looking to find something useable without paying a lot of money is the site "Paper Friends."

http://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/paperfriendsindex.html

Skip down to the Film section, and he's got about a 100 files for Star Wars that can be used.  You've got to download them from Rapidshare, which I've found can be... touchy at times about downloading files.

Mark It Zero and aljovin like this

One potential resource for minis if folks are looking to find something useable without paying a lot of money is the site "Paper Friends."

Skip down to the Film section, and he's got about a 100 files for Star Wars that can be used.  You've got to download them from Rapidshare, which I've found can be... touchy at times about downloading files.

Oh hey. I can see a couple of my pieces from SWAG there, like the ones marked "Alderaanian Sith", "Jodaka Sith" and "Gungan Jedi" in the Page 01.

Oh hey. I can see a couple of my pieces from SWAG there, like the ones marked "Alderaanian Sith", "Jodaka Sith" and "Gungan Jedi" in the Page 01.

Yeah, I noticed quite a bit of artwork was taken from other sources without any sort of credit to the original artist, and not just the Star Wars ones either.

Still, for a GM with a limited budget, they're a viable option, and the guy isn't charging anything for them.

Ooooo.... Sorry, Hish.  Nobody likes to have their work ripped especially without credit.  And I know how hard you work on what you do.

It's okay, I guess. We'd like to have some attribution, but hey, as long as it helps other enjoy playing Star Wars, right? It's what SWAG was created for. :)

I'll see about making more paper minis for you guys after my workload slows down in the near future.

Ooooo.... Sorry, Hish.  Nobody likes to have their work ripped especially without credit.  And I know how hard you work on what you do.