Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
El_Tonio

What Star Wars minis do you think you'll use most in EotE?

59 posts in this topic

I was an avid collector and player of the WOTC minis game (I have at least one of every one, and over 1700 minis total).  With the release of EotE, I am excited to have another use for them.  I've actually been trading for a few that weren't very good in original minis game, but that seem like they will very useful in EotE (both for PCs and NPCs).

Anyone else using the WOTC minis with EOTE? 

For PCs, I think there are many that will work well for EotE races and classes (many of these will also work for NPCs).  And, there are tons of other possibilities for opponents/NPCs. 

What ones do you think will get the most use (besides Stormtroopers :))?

kaelith likes this

All those fringe thugs that weren't of much use in the minis game. It'll be nice to just reach out and grab a handful of Weequays and Gran or whatever, and throw 'em on the table (coming from an old school WEG minis painter)!

I have a couple of the old Grenider lead mini box sets from the orginal WEG D6 Star wars RPG days, I'll be using those. 

No school like old school. 

I imagine my "fringe" and "stormtrooper" drawers will see the most use, closely followed by my "odd aliens & creatures" drawer.

:)

I wish I had some spare money.  I'd go on an ebay binge for SW minis.  I have a fair number, though, and I can dig into my D&D minis if need be.

The first campaign idea I had is to rewrite the prequel trilogy.  So, I'd need lots of clones and droids.  But, I can use my STs as clones if I need to.

I plan to use as many of them as I can manage.  Especially since I spent the time and money to ensure I have the full collection (baring a few ships from WotC's failed starships game that I've pretty much given up on acquiring at this point).  The game may not require them, but I've come to find having them adds to the fun in many instances.  That and it's a further excuse to break out those sweet Christopher West maps that I've acquired through support of his many Kickstarter projects.

Hopefully I can convince my face-to-face gaming group to give EotE a proper try, as prior experiences have left some of them cold, though that may have been due more to the adventures used; majority of them are old school Star Wars fans and so were less enthused by the "Star Wars as told by Guy Ritchie" angle that a decent chunk of the official adventures have to them.

Edit: Now that I think about it, there's one mini I'd love to use in an EotE game...

atat.jpg

That or this charming fellow:

132462.jpg

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

I have a big collection I used/use for gaming but now REALLY wish I had bought more of the 'fringe' expansions - at the time didn't think I would use them much - but hey; the players' faces the day I plonk my 63 stormtroopers on the RPG map will be be a sight to behold.

lets keep the hope that FFG will bring us some new miniature game in the future and expand our colections.

but with the way they design the narrative combat system make this a little distant future.

Anywhere still selling SW minis?

A few places.  Coolstuffinc has a good stash, and Augie's mini's has always been fair with the pricing.  I haven't bought too many of them in the last two years, but I've snagged one or two that I wanted for RPG purposes.  It's been about five years since I've seriously played the minis game, other than a skirmish or two with a friend.  But I've used them all the time for RPG purposes. 

I would like to see some more cardboard tokens, as much as I would love to, I am too cheap to stock up on the WotC minis.

I also might make my own. I would scan the beginner game tokens, print more on regular cardstock, and glue them to 1 inch wooden discs made from sawing up wooden rods from a craft store.

I would like to see some more cardboard tokens, as much as I would love to, I am too cheap to stock up on the WotC minis.

I also might make my own. I would scan the beginner game tokens, print more on regular cardstock, and glue them to 1 inch wooden discs made from sawing up wooden rods from a craft store.

If you're planning on doing a lot, something like this might save you a lot of effort. A little more expensive than a wood rod but much more easier. (Haven't tried it myself)

Edited by Aazlain

I will likely be using my WotC minis with my games, as this was the purpose I bought them for.

I wish I had some spare money.  I'd go on an ebay binge for SW minis. 

You and I both, though the last couple times I attempted it ( a couple of years ago) there were still folks willing to spend far more than I considered reasonable . . . grumble, grumble, I hate being out bid.

Anywhere still selling SW minis?

Definitely check out coolstuffinc.com. They ship any nuber of minis for 99 cents.  The cool thing about the RPG is that there is lots of use for less expensive commons and uncommons, and less use for rares and very rares.  I think you could build up a nice base of humans, rodians, droids, and even a few stormtroopers from the later sets for a small investment.

Also check out abprices.com... they will tell you what the minis are selling for on multiple sites.  But, coolstuffinc has the best shipping and a great selection.

One thing I did is take some of the Star Wars minis images (also found on coolstuffinc) and put them in a table in Word.  Then I cut them out to make my own tokens.  This would be an inexpensive option.

If you're planning on doing a lot, something like this might save you a lot of effort. A little more expensive than a wood rod but much more easier. (Haven't tried it myself)

This would be a great way to do it. But, since the table I create leads to square segments, even an exacto knife and a metal ruler would work.

I've been running the Beta for a few months and always use figs from the Bounty Hunter set. Multiple alien minions, speeder bikes, human thugs, etc... and a few troops and the Hutt from Rebel Storm.

The WotC collection was really VERY comprehensive; there were only a handful remaining that truly needed to be done, and I can't think of any conspicuously absent Rebellion era types. I'll be using those.

HOWEVER: there's one other interestin' alternative - those new Fighter Pods guys. Okay, laugh it up, fuzzball!! They're currently on clearance @ Target, and they're a better fit for the few maps we've already seen than the big 30mm Wizards minis. It's a thought! MUCH less variety, though.

lets keep the hope that FFG will bring us some new miniature game in the future and expand our colections.

but with the way they design the narrative combat system make this a little distant future.

I may be the only one, but I'm really hoping FFG comes out with a squad based minis game that is a mixture of X-Wing and Dust Tactics.

I may be the only one, but I'm really hoping FFG comes out with a squad based minis game that is a mixture of X-Wing and Dust Tactics.

Totally back this one.

FFG could have a very successful minis game that could run along side and support the RPG.

It's a shame Dust tactics is moving to another distributor because their minis design was excellent. If FFG does move forward with a minis game (or even minis to support the RPG) they should commission Dust studios to do the design. One thing Wizards got wrong was quality control and quite often they would produce minis slightly out of scale, low detail and sloppy paint jobs, basically consistency was an issue. I couldn't see Dust studios making the same errors. Using the Dust model of offering unpainted and premium painted minis options would also be an excellent delivery method..