Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thunderforge

So It's Really $75 to Play?

116 posts in this topic

I've also read on other sites that a book has a different tax than a game in some countries that might be so and adding dice to the book could make it a game instead.... well technically it is a game in a book format ....I understand that argument as well but to not sell the book with a starter set of dice is a bit of an over sight for a game that I believe will have a good future going for it.

That is entirely correct. In a fair chunk of Europe, books attract no additional Value Added Tax, or only a small amount, where as games attract a higher level of tax. For instance, where I got my copy (the UK), books have no VAT added, but if dice were packaged with it, it would count as a game, and therefore have VAT of 20% added, meaning that, not only would it cost more because of just having the dice (it'd probably be between £45-50 with the dice, rather than RRP of £40), but 20% tax would have been added, taking it from, say £50, to £60.

$62 bucks got me the core book, GM kit, and a set of dice, since it was such a good deal I opted for priority shipping bringing the total to $77 bucks.  That is a deal. 

$62 bucks got me the core book, GM kit, and a set of dice, since it was such a good deal I opted for priority shipping bringing the total to $77 bucks.  That is a deal. 

That's a heck of a deal!  

That's a heck of a deal!  

All from Miniature Market.

Is the dice chart difficult to use? Just by looking at it, it seems like it would really slow things down when you've got a whole pool of dice. Besides, the book uses the symbols, so you'd have to back-convert as well, no? No smartphone unfortunately, so that's out (even if it wasn't, then the price would really be $65 to play).

It's a pity that the recommendation is to get it online; I really want to support my Friendly Local Gaming Store.

after one game my players were understanding the dice quite well.

While I'll eventually grab a copy (as I liked the Beginner Game), my reluctance is due to the release schedule more than the price. I would've preferred a book that allows for Star Wars play with notes on Eras, followed by expanded era books and maybe era splat books. Ah well.

I would've preferred a book that allows for Star Wars play with notes on Eras...

To be frank, there isn't much difference between eras from a mechanics point of view: Stormtroopers are Clone Troopers; Jedi are Jedi; X-Wings are what ever the era's fighter is; etc. It's all in the names, and those names can be found with a quick trip to Wookiepedia. 

I would've preferred a book that allows for Star Wars play with notes on Eras...

To be frank, there isn't much difference between eras from a mechanics point of view: Stormtroopers are Clone Troopers; Jedi are Jedi; X-Wings are what ever the era's fighter is; etc. It's all in the names, and those names can be found with a quick trip to Wookiepedia. 

Agreed, mechanically there is very little to distinguish different Star Wars eras, its largely just cosmetic. Most of the previous SW RPGs also did very little to distinguish eras, Saga being the one that went the farthest and even there most gear was on par.

Rikoshi likes this

Agreed, mechanically there is very little to distinguish different Star Wars eras, its largely just cosmetic. Most of the previous SW RPGs also did very little to distinguish eras, Saga being the one that went the farthest and even there most gear was on par.

There weren't really a lot of other Eras to play in when West End Games launched D6 Star Wars back in 1987.

WotC had more material to work with thanks to the prequel releases and put out 3 different core books in that time (OCR, RCR and Saga).

So, 2 of the three didn't cover other Eras in their core book, so Most didn't put out other Eras of play at launch.

There weren't really a lot of other Eras to play in when West End Games launched D6 Star Wars back in 1987.

WotC had more material to work with thanks to the prequel releases and put out 3 different core books in that time (OCR, RCR and Saga).

So, 2 of the three didn't cover other Eras in their core book, so Most didn't put out other Eras of play at launch.

True enough, I'll admit I wasn't thinking in terms of launch but the entire run, which I suppose is less relevant to this conversation. I guess if I had much of a point it was we didn't really stop and wait for era specific information when we played in the past, we grabbed what we had and ran with it, and with the generic approach to tech in the SW universe and RPGs, along with our obsessive understanding of the Star Wars setting, it usually worked out just fine. Now with EotE I don't see that really changing much given it has most of the building blocks there already with only a few exceptions.

That said, I guess I'm bypassing Sketchpad's observation, given that the question of eras is more complicated today than ever before, and considering many fans are newer too or not as obsessed with the property as many of us, I could see the benefit of including notes on eras somewhere in the book, but I do like the focus this book has, both in theme and era which I think of as equally beneficially. For me, I want them to cultivate that focus with the three core game books, while saving eras as fertile grounds for future supplements to explore, 

I'm content to work in Tales of the Jedi, Old Republic, and Legacy as homebrew if it ever comes up. Swap names on existing stat blocks, done. Although I'll wait on Force and Destiny before trying to do any of that. I don't necessarily need a book to do that kind of conversion for me. Anyone notice the old Dark Horse art here and there in the Core Book? The existing license gallery as it stands is all full of stuff we've seen so unless someone gets commissioned to do new work an Era splatbook wouldn't have much to offer in that vein anyway.

As EU cats we get pretty crazy about our space opera, but in the grand scheme of things most people are only familiar with Classic Era and Prequel Era. Can't blame any company trying to make a dime for creating their fluff in known sectors, as it were. The hobby isn't quite as niche any more, but even so... I'd wager there are only 20 people here tops that know what the Beast Wars of Onderon are anyway :)

Speaking of which, now I have to figure out how to do some atmosphere hopping between Dxun and Onderon. :)

Just for the record on the kind of quality we are talking about here...

I am still waiting on my book... (sigh, so much for Amazon Prime 2-Day on this one) however I DID pickup the GM Screen at my LGS last weekend. If the quality of the GM Screen is any indication on the quality of the book, then it is worth every penny.

I have NEVER seen a better GM Screen in my life. It is like a quad-fold hardcover book or a board from one of their boardgames. It is incredible.

Too be clear... it IS NOT heavy cardstock like other GM Screens. This thing is so nice I may use it for ANY game I run.

Just for the record on the kind of quality we are talking about here...

I am still waiting on my book... (sigh, so much for Amazon Prime 2-Day on this one) however I DID pickup the GM Screen at my LGS last weekend. If the quality of the GM Screen is any indication on the quality of the book, then it is worth every penny.

I have NEVER seen a better GM Screen in my life. It is like a quad-fold hardcover book or a board from one of their boardgames. It is incredible.

Too be clear... it IS NOT heavy cardstock like other GM Screens. This thing is so nice I may use it for ANY game I run.

WURD.

Brash, I can tell you that the core book is of the same quality (holding it in my hands, now).  Utterly spectacular production value.  That, plus the content... it's worth every penny.

BrashFink and Rikoshi like this

I'm not even a big rpg player but I picked up this book because I love Star Wars and all of FFGs other Star Wars game. The book is super nice, and worth the price tag. I'm happy with my purchase and all I'll do is read it.

My wife and I have a couple bookcases full of FFG board games, card games, and rpg's and every single one of them is a high quality product worth every penny. For the New-To-FFG crowd all I can say is that your money here is well spent and you won't be disappointed over the long haul. Cheers.

Also, back to the OP for a second...if you're still pinching pennies...there's a chart in the Core book that shows you how to convert standard d6's, 8's, and 12's into the narrative, custom dice. So now you're down to $40! Our work here is done.

Also, back to the OP for a second...if you're still pinching pennies...there's a chart in the Core book that shows you how to convert standard d6's, 8's, and 12's into the narrative, custom dice. So now you're down to $40! Our work here is done.

Provided that you can find a vendor selling it for that price (including shipping).

Provided that you can find a vendor selling it for that price (including shipping).

Miniatures Market and CoolStuffInc are both still selling the corebook for just under $40.

So depending on where you live, the cost is still much less than paying full price.

Also, I believe Amazon now has the book in stock.  It's just shy of $50 dollars, but it also qualifies for free shipping.

We just spent 8 months encouraging people to pre-order through Cool Stuff. The price is bouncing in a ten dollar loop now but it'll come around again :)

Edited by Keeop

I just got my book, GM screen and set of dice in the mail and the first words out of my mouth when I picked up the core book was: "Holy ****!"  It is seriously a hefty tome.  The quality is unlike anything I have ever seen in an rpg book and I have amassed quite the collection over the years.  The WotC 4e D&D books were nice quality but DAYUM this is a fantastic book!!!

I am totally on board with quality over quantity if everything they release is this amazingly fantastic!

I can think of a Tome that outmasses this RPG. HERO 5th Edition core book.

I actually think Edge of the Empire might have more stopping power than the mammoth Hero 5th Revised and expanded.  The paper on EotE is much heavier and the binding is far tighter.  Hero 5th was printed on a paper stock that was only slightly heavier than newspaper, also the front and back cover were fairly flimsy.  But the sheer page count (592 pages) was enough to stop low caliber ammo.

Interestingly Hero 5th Revised weighed 4.1 pounds, however Edge of the Empire Core which is some 150 pages shorter weighs in at a  hefty 3.8 pounds... pretty sure EotE has some serious stopping power too.

Heck, add in the bonus protection of the GM Screen... we're talking Kevlar baby.

Yancy

Edited by Gallandro

My 2 Cents

I have played Dungeons and Dragons since the late 80's.  I then took on to 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons.  I hit up Vampire the Masquerade and even World of Darkness.  I then migrated to Gurps, Rogue Trader in there somewhere finally ending up with Pathfinder RPG.  I have played every Star Wars that has come out since WEG had their time.  Wizards ruined Star Wars.  So the hefty weight on FFG's to make this Staw Wars game was tremendous.

Now, my opinion.  Of all the games I have ever run, ran and played in, I can not think of a system that compares to the work done in this book.  Getting rid of levelling was a must.  Star wars characters dont have levels and its a shame they ever did.  This has taken the powergaming rules nazi'ing out of the game and made it into what it was in original.  The most epic and dramatic movie series of all time.  This book has reawakened the kid in me and made me enjoy reading a rulebook again.

Callidon likes this