Sign in to follow this  
Glaurung

Glaurung play through (youtube channel)

I don't know, I think that Galadriel finally replaces him for NM. I don't play solo too much, (mostly 2 handed) but I never use Glorfindel and I always play NM. Galdriel fills that crucial, spirit high questing need + she gives you threat reduction and card draw. Glorfindel has been permanently sidelined for me. 

Glaurung-thank you for the great videos. Do you post your decklists? I see you preview them in videos and I saw one listed once I think on cardgamedb but I was wondering if there's an easier way to see your lists? Thanks!

Also, I am most interested in your Thorin and co deck, any changes?

Glaurung-thank you for the great videos. Do you post your decklists? I see you preview them in videos and I saw one listed once I think on cardgamedb but I was wondering if there's an easier way to see your lists? Thanks!

Also, I am most interested in your Thorin and co deck, any changes?

I didn't post a deck list for some reason… but when I play my decks you allways can see a content…

Thorin hava some changes probably but is minor changes… majority is still same. Cheers!

As always, thanks for the videos. In the first game, when Glorifindel died I believe you had A Test of Will in hand along with A Good Harvest and one resource on Hama. So I think you could have saved Glory there. It was going to be a tough go anyway though.

In the second game at about 24 minutes, you used A Test of Will to cancel the when revealed effect of a Quest card. (At least I think so, you play fast!). Anyway, that is explicitly prohibited.

Now, about a minute later you use A Good Harvest again to play out Eagles of the Misty Mountains. I'm not so sure about this one: A Good Harvest reads, "Name a sphere. Until the end of the phase, you can spend resources of any sphere when paying for cards that belong to the named sphere." The thing is, Gandalf's resources are neutral and "don't belong to a sphere" according to a previous ruling, so I don't think you can use Gandalf's resources with A Good Harvest. I'm really unsure about this one though. What do other players think?

I don't think you would be able to play a good harvest in that case as I don't believe you can trigger actions during staging until just before quest resolution so you would need to play good harvest whilst you commit characters earlier in the quest phase as you can play the response effect on Test of Will when the treachery is revealed but cannot use the action on A Good Harvest when it is revealed.
Definitely can't cancel the effects of a side quest.

As far as the Gandalf issue that is a curious one but A Good Harvest does indeed read "of any sphere" and neutral is very specifically not a sphere (Sword-Thain for example reads "belonging to any sphere" and cannot be played on neutral unique allies because of this) so pretty sure you are correct and you would indeed not be able to use Gandalf's resources in this way.

I think you are on the money Bullroarer.

This is pretty interesting as I actually just listened to an old Grey Company podcast that discusses a comment Glaurung made on one of their videos about their "responsibility" to not make mistakes (as community leaders/podcast creators for the game). Seems as though Glaurung himself is just as likely to make mistakes as they are, that are just as quickly picked up by community members. It is a complex game for sure and no one is immune to making mistakes on occasion. I have to say I agree with what was said in the podcast in that playing with actual physical cards (as opposed to OCTGN) is better in this particular regard in that you can more easily spot or avoid mistakes with the cards right there in front of you. I personally have a laminated copy of the kaybee quick reference guide (http://www.kaybee.org/kirk/LoTR_LCG_QuickRef.pdf) that I have next to me during every game as a quick reference to avoid mistakes whenever possible. No offense intended to Glaurung but the fact he plays with physical cards (not to mention his feelings about nightmare and constant declaration that the game is too easy/not worth playing without nightmare cards) he kind of has less excuse than they do in regards to making mistakes.

Honestly I think there are probably a small handful of players on the forums that are real sticklers for rules and play every game very slowly and carefully and make almost no mistakes but the vast majority of us are prone to making mistakes on occasion especially when playing new quests or quests we have not played many times before, or when we are under time constraints (which for sure both Glaurung with his young daughter and job and the Grey company guys with their busy lives often have) or even just when playing quests with a more complex and shifting board state (Antlered Crown, Dunland Trap etc). I think that occasional mistakes is something that needs to just be accepted with this game especially when they are made by people like the Grey Company guys or Glaurung considering the vast wealth of knowledge we know that they have of the game and the amazing resources they provide us with like their videos or podcasts or events.

Edited by PsychoRocka

Yes you right. I do a lot of Mistakes now. First couse I stop to play lotr as much as before… second now with a new quest and Nightmare mode there is lot of thing to track. So game become more difficult but same time I play less now so there is a mistakes coming. However only a last video have a many mistakes couse as I said begore I dont play much now and my grasp of the game is weak now. Day night objective also bring sone new twist.

I will definitely try play more careful from now.

Thank you for feedback and support!

I don't think you would be able to play a good harvest in that case as I don't believe you can trigger actions during staging until just before quest resolution so you would need to play good harvest whilst you commit characters earlier in the quest phase as you can play the response effect on Test of Will when the treachery is revealed but cannot use the action on A Good Harvest when it is revealed.

You are right.  That wouldn't work because there is no window to play actions, only responses.

For my part I wasn't trying to stir up divisiveness.  This is a tough game.  Playing solo you are already keeping track of two decks and if you play two handed you are keeping track of three.  And that doesn't even include interactions.  I try not to make mistakes when I play, but of course I do.  It drives me crazy to think I won a close game and then realize later I erred in a rule.

And remember that you cannot make progress on the quest during Night. It's a tough one both in terms of remembering everything and also beating the quest :)

Credit to everyone who film themselves playing!!!

****…. You right! No progress at night… another effect to track… cool quest but lot if thing to track for lonely player! Anyway is good for train perception

I replayed this yesterday, and I like it. it's difficult, and there's a lot going on, I'm sure I made a few mistakes! But I'm not sure I'll get the nightmare pack for this one (I play pure solo)...

Nice second video! I really like this quest.

Ultra-nitpicks: You use a Gandalf resource with A Good Harvest to help pay for Asfaloth out of your hand, which as mentioned earlier in the thread isn't allowed. But you have more than enough Tactics resources, so you could've easily used one of those. Similarly, you forget to pay for Feint at around the 24-minute mark, but again you have plenty of Tactics resources, so it doesn't impact the game either. No need for a 3rd video. :)

Hey Glaurung, I hope you don't stop making the occasional normal mode videos, I find them very enjoyable.

Yes sure why not? Some normal mode quest a quite cool. Wastes of Eriadoe or Deadman pikes for example!

I love DP, really cool one!

Nice second video! I really like this quest.

Ultra-nitpicks: You use a Gandalf resource with A Good Harvest to help pay for Asfaloth out of your hand, which as mentioned earlier in the thread isn't allowed. But you have more than enough Tactics resources, so you could've easily used one of those. Similarly, you forget to pay for Feint at around the 24-minute mark, but again you have plenty of Tactics resources, so it doesn't impact the game either. No need for a 3rd video. :)

Sounds like I miss something… Gandalf resources cannot be with a Good Harvest effect? Why?

Sounds like I miss something… Gandalf resources cannot be with a Good Harvest effect? Why?

I think PsychoRocka (and Bullroarer Took before him) said it well earlier... 'As far as the Gandalf issue that is a curious one but A Good Harvest does indeed read "of any sphere" and neutral is very specifically not a sphere (Sword-Thain for example reads "belonging to any sphere" and cannot be played on neutral unique allies because of this) so pretty sure you are correct and you would indeed not be able to use Gandalf's resources in this way.'

I've played this wrong a bunch of times myself.