Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dalamarth

Tides of Battle for neutral garrisons

5 posts in this topic

Hi all! Just got this game. Love it. However, Baratheon in 4 player games strikes me as a bit of a nuisence.

I don't want to close off territories. I just feel that the current mechanic of taking over neutral garrisons harbors absolutely no combat risk. Sure, Baratheon takes a risk by sending forces south… But when they have the right combat strength, they risk absolutely nothing by claiming the southern neutral territories.

Would it be acceptable for draw a Tides of Battle Card for the neutral forces to combat Baratheon's House Card? Given this option there is a (small) chance Baratheon can lose that combat. And more importantly, there's a chance that Baratheon units can be destroyed in the conflict.

If this works, how would one handle the Castle icons on ToB cards?

Thanks in advance!

This acctually sounds like a pretty good idea.

What I'd recommend for a fortification icon is this: it is removed while the invading force is there.  If, however, the area is vacated without a power token being left behind the garrison token may be returned.

That's not a bad idea. Or, would it be too mean to say that castle icon = player fighting against garrison auto loses the combat for that turn? >:D

It might be difficult to keep track of which garrisons will come back if vacated and which won't…

I think your solution will probably cause more problems than it solves. Baratheon is only a problem if the other 3 players don't realize they're giving the game away by fighting among themselves. Cooperation and diplomacy can prevent Baratheon from winning at a walk.

The other thing you can try is the 4p variant with Martell, Lannister, Baratheon & Stark.  Put in the neutral garrisons around Tyrell, but leave off Yronwood.  Close off Pyke with a neutral garrison as well.  I have also played 5 player this way as well, no Greyjoy, but Martell added.  Worked well.