Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raven1015

Encounter at Amon Din

59 posts in this topic

So FFG officially lets the fan bloggers of the game spoil cards now? Amazing, that's all I can say. As for the card, I think that actually letting you discard it to cancel a surged card without the random factor is good enough; after all, you have to discard him. But it looks okay to me, though I think that in a deck without good scrying it will maybe be a bit underplayed. Not impressed, but it's a cool little effect that can sometimes save you. 

So that's why there wasn't a spoiler in the last article!
Recognizing and giving special treats to dedicated fans was (I think) a great move.

Lampwright will be a very welcome addition to almost any deck I have that has Spirit.
I don't know if they will always make it to the final cut, but I know they will definitely be runners up at the very least.

Being an ally with cost of 1 is good enough by itself as it can be used as chump blocker on turn 1.
Lampwright brings up number of 1 cost ally for Spirit to 2 (3 copies each, so 6 cards total), which means now Spirit can expect to draw chump blocker almost every game like Leadership used to.

Unless I am very much mistaken, trait Gondor is bound to be as powerful as Outlanders or Dwarves by the end of this Cycle, so an Gondor ally that can be played with cost of 1 resource can't go wrong.

On top of that, he comes with the ability that helps you prevent things from getting out of hand.
You still need to guess the type of the card that surges, so the card isn't too powerful, but the effect is still very good.
Are there already one or two enemies engaged with you and you drew card with surge? Discard Lampwright and guess Enemy.
Are there locations piling up in staging area and there is a possible danger of threat locking? Discard Lampwright and guess Location.
Are you in control of situation and only way things could go wrong is if nasty treachery somehow wiping half your characters? Discard Lampwright and guess Trechery.

Just chiming in to say that it is super cool Fantasy Flight let you preview the card! This should be more common! It is only good for the game and community.

GongShowHost said:

Just chiming in to say that it is super cool Fantasy Flight let you preview the card! This should be more common! It is only good for the game and community.

Yes i like the idea too.

Raven1015 said:

Just thought you all would be interested to check out a player card from Encounter at Amon Din that I had a chance to spoil on my blog. Enjoy!

http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/exclusive-spoiler-encounter-at-amon-din/

thanks! the card looks great…. but how does one get chosen for such things?

some will know that i recently posted a lotr website for a friend and i also had my own in the early stages of the game (hence why i ask)

not to sound like im being critical of your good work here…because im certainly not, and you have certainly deserved the chance to do this Raven….

…but i hope that ffg let other bloggers have a go also… (just for people's info i dont include my own in this as it was tolkien-themed….im not that jealous burla)

i actually asked for a player (or players) to be the one(s) who writes spoiler articles when ffg cant…so it would be good if we had that- it would really get this forum going more.

what would be a great idea is sharing the spoilers out between blogs. im not sure how many there are, not that many still being updated i guess, but then all of them would get visitors and the forum would be lively with different discussions….which is never a bad thing!

rich

If it was cancel the surge effect (as your blog suggests) it wouldn't have the potential to nullify a card. (if you don't resolve the surge effect you don't draw the next card).

I'm not sure that would be worth including.

The potential for this card to nullify something horrible (sudden pitfall, sleeping sentry level of power I mean) is easily the best part of the card. Far better than just ignoring suge.

Also as the blog post eludes too - they are intending to give us means to explore and manipulate the encounter deck. When Palantier was first revealed I felt that the potential threat costs were too high for what wouldn't really help that much (it would in clutch games, but most games you're either overwhelmed and can't afford the cost, or coasting and doing fine anyway). With cards like this though, the cost associated with those cards is ofset by superior ability to synergise to help you win (in the overwhelming situation you might well risk the threat, to potentially make this and the next turn easier).

very cool write up and excellent preview of what i think is a tremendously useful card.  as was already alluded to you the article and in this thread, just having the potential to block whatever kind of card would hurt you most at the time is clutch and really should drive the decision each time unless you've already used cards like risk some light or palantir to know what it is.

congrats on the opportunity to reveal a card too raven, a very rewarding experience i'm sure!

Thanks for reading everyone! I agree that it was an amazingly awesome gesture for FFG to let me spoil a card, and it really says a lot about them as a game company, and their willingness to embrace and encourage the community, rather than stifle it. I'll just address a couple of things.

Rich, I'm not in the know about their future plans for this sort of thing, so don't take anything I say as official. That disclaimer out of the way, I can't imagine that this will be the last time this happens, and I'm guessing that they'll want to reach out to as much of the community as possible. So I would look at this as more of an initial foray and sign of things to come. Again, I'm not speaking for them, but that would be my take.

Rapier, you bring up a very interesting distinction between cancelling the surge through preventing another card being drawn and cancelling the surge by nullifying the card that is drawn. I view both as cancellation, which is why I framed it in those terms in the article, but the point you bring up is ripe for discussion. Which is better? I think it's actually a very complicated question. In many cases, nullify would be better, but in some, preventing a card being drawn altogether might be more beneficial, depending on the order of cards in the encounter deck, whether cards will be discarded as shadows, etc. Anyway, as it is, I like the nullifying effect, and the sense of control you have in terms of at least avoiding what you really most want to avoid.

Narsil0420 said:

Upcoming page now says July 5th for the release date!

Woo-hoo! That is much earlier than I was expecting for some reason. Can't wait.

Best AP so far.  It's just like the Battle of Lake-Town but you have a better chance to stand against the enemy.

The story is great and just a good level of difficulty.  Done it twice (one fail and one win) since yesterday.  Hope you will all get it soon.

Tornak said:

Best AP so far.  It's just like the Battle of Lake-Town but you have a better chance to stand against the enemy.

The story is great and just a good level of difficulty.  Done it twice (one fail and one win) since yesterday.  Hope you will all get it soon.

Wow wow wow. You got it already! Cool. Details please and some card info too. If some pictures will be amazing. thanks

Yeah Tornak, if you want to share with us some knowledge about the player cards, encounter cards, story… we'll be pleased to read! cangrejo

Glaurung said:

Tornak said:

Wow wow wow. You got it already! Cool. Details please and some card info too. If some pictures will be amazing. thanks

I second this.

Unfortunaly, I don't have my cards in front of me cause I'm at work, but if I remember well :

Denethor (Leadership)

Ally (cost 4)

3 Will

1 Prowess

2 Defense

3 HP

-1 Willpower for each damaged hero you control.  If Denethor ever gets 0 Willpower, discard from play.

Unknown name (the card shows a crown) (Leadership)

Attachment (cost 1)

Title

May be attach to Gondor or Outland hero.

If every hero you control has a printed (lead.) symbol, … gets the following ability :

Every time you play a (4 spheres symbols) outland character, draw one card.

Gondorian Discpline (Tactic)

Event (don't remember the cost but sure it is under 3)

Prevent two damages

Unknown name (the card shows either a book or a scroll) (Tactic)

Attachment (cost 4)

Cost may be reduce by the number of heroes you control with a printed (tactic symbol)

Discard to play a card in your discard pile as if it were in your hand.

Hobbit-sense (neutral)

as you already know it

The two spirit card, you have already seen them in various spoilers.

One of the Lore card is a gondorian ranger

cost 3 (or 2)

Will 0

Att 2

Defense ?

Hp ?

If … attacks and damages an enemy, move the enemy to the staging area.

I have no clue about the second Lore card.

Quite sorry if there are missing information, that is the best I could do right now.  Hoping that it gives a additionnal thrill while waiting for the AP to come.

Tornak

P.S. Thanks to the guy I played LOTR with at Regent Park (London, UK) on June 3, 2013.  Sorry I don't remember your name.  That experience showed me that on every aspect, British are truly welcoming and made it worth the 7 hours flight.

denethor is very dissapointing….well, the theme is good and makes sense, but i would prefer him being just 1 cheaper.

the rest look great as usual. looking forward to the pictures

rich

richsabre said:

denethor is very dissapointing….well, the theme is good and makes sense, but i would prefer him being just 1 cheaper.

rich

Yes Denethor sound a bit strange but 3 will power not bad……… Tome is really powerful card, cost 4 but effect is amazing.

Really wonna now about encounter deck…..To be honest i really wait for Osgiliath and Morgul vale. I feel like those 2 quests most difficult and interesting.

Thanks! Would you mind filling the gaps once with the cards?

The Leadership attachment is perfect for mono-Outlands decks. Denethor is not, sadly.

Hi, got the cards.

Gondorian Discipline (tactic)

Cost 0 (even better than las post)

Event

gondor

Response : Cancel up to 2 points of damage just dealt to a Gondor character.

The picture is the same as the cover of AP Assault on Osgiliath.

-----------------------

(Unique) Book of Eldacar (Tactic)

Cost 4

Attachment

Record

Attach to a (tactic icon) hero.

Reduce the cost to play Book of Eldacar by 1 for each hero you control with a printed (tactic icon) ressource icon.

Action : Discard Book of Eldacar to play any (tactic icon) event card in your discard pile as if it were in your hand.  Then, place that event on the bottom of your deck.

------------------------------

Ithilien Archer (lore)

Cost 3

Ally

Gondor, Ranger

Ranged

Response : After Ithilien Archer attacks and damages an enemy, return that enemy to the staging area.

---------------------------------

Ithilien Pit (lore)

Cost 1

Attachment

Trap

Play Ithilien Pit into the staging area unattached.

If unattached, attach Ithilien Pit to the next eligible enemy that enters the staging area.

Any character may chose attached enemy as the target on an attack.

Art : Dramatic scene of an (very weel drawn by Davil Gaillet) orc with a pony tail trying to get out of a pit (duh), his right hand trying to reach a root or something like that and all you see in the background are legs, weapons and shields of Free People warriors.

(Unique) Denethor (leadership) ally is exactely like my last posts (unfortunaly it seems…)

(Unique) Lord of Morthond (leadership)

Cost 1

Attachment

Title

Attach to a Gondo or Outlands hero.

If each hero you control has the printed (lead. icon) ressource icon, Lord of Morthond gains :

''Response : After you play a (all 4 icons) ally, draw 1 card.''

-------------

Even though the last card doesn't say ''If attached to Hirluin the Fair,…'', IMO it it pretty much the only hero on wich that card can be attached.  If you don't play Hirluin, you would have to use three other leadership heroes and pretty much all the attachment song cards to get the benefits of the card Lord of Morthond.  Seems to me it would be a lost of card space.

I usually play Napolitan deck with leadership, lore and spirit when playing solo and momo-sphere leadership with 3 other players.  Since the two lore cards are so awesome, it think I will use mono-lore for the next few games. 

richsabre said:

rich

Hey,

Know that you all like to see pictures as soon as possible, but both camera and cell phone are broken right now.  Don't think anything will be repaired nor replaced until the AP gets to your nearest store.

You will have to use your imagination until then, but isn't it the beauty of the game ? Not the art of the cards, not the power of the card but to fell you are part of the adventure along with your heroes striking orcs or negociating with Woses.

Oliver