Sign in to follow this  
Aazlain

Homemade character sheet - Draft - Suggestions welcomed

Thank you for sharing this great resource. Some of my players (an me) have left our youth behind and we are finding some sheets and dice are becoming hard to read. This is great!

Just a quick note for those who haven't already noticed.

The character sheet works on a Windows PC, but not on Ubuntu PC, Ipad or other tablets that I have tried. They can still view the finished character sheet with dice pools and all, but you can't edit it.

That said, great work! It's a big help having the dice pools for beginner players like mine.

Just a quick note for those who haven't already noticed.

The character sheet works on a Windows PC, but not on Ubuntu PC, Ipad or other tablets that I have tried. They can still view the finished character sheet with dice pools and all, but you can't edit it.

That said, great work! It's a big help having the dice pools for beginner players like mine.

Try using Adobe Reader rather than the OS PDF readers that Ubuntu/Debian ship with

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform=Unix

And for iOS

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adobe-reader/id469337564?mt=8

Is it crazy talk to wonder if we could get form-fillable group and starship sheets as well? Or maybe someone could make stock ship sheets for the three starter ships in the game?

Just spitballing ideas here.

To Kallabecca,

Great work for all the fillable sheets you've made.

A little correction on the Fillable vehicle sheet, the numbers for the defense are not centered.

What program are you using to build those fillable sheets ?
Could you just reform the original character sheets to be form fillable, but with the dice pool builder for the skills ??
Also, is it possible to put the Yellow first and Green second (like in the beginner game characters) ??

Thanks a lot.
Keep up the good work.

To Kallabecca,

Great work for all the fillable sheets you've made.

A little correction on the Fillable vehicle sheet, the numbers for the defense are not centered.

What program are you using to build those fillable sheets ?

Could you just reform the original character sheets to be form fillable, but with the dice pool builder for the skills ??

Also, is it possible to put the Yellow first and Green second (like in the beginner game characters) ??

Thanks a lot.

Keep up the good work.

Fixed the alignment for ship defense.

Adobe Acrobat Professional XI

I could, depending on the trouble (number and placement of fields in the image). What you're really looking at is an image with the form fields laid out over the page to make it look like they are part of the background. I could take the same fields and lay them down on a document of Elvira and other than looking odd having all that text over her, wouldn't change the function of the fields, just whether there was something to tell you what was what.

I could do YG. These sheets were built the same way that Aazlain built his beginner's box set character sheet, so I kept the order. Doesn't really matter since they are both color and shape coded. So, I think I'll leave it alone.

I'm still having some trouble with the character sheet.  Just to be certain I'm using the right one I'm downloading the draft v4 from this page:  http://www.daemonstorm.com/article/2013/07/05/star-wars-edge-empire-release-edition-character-sheet  This is the most up to date version, correct?

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and have both the most updated Adobe Reader and Foxit Reader.  Some problems are the same in both.  Others are different.

In Adobe the characteristics are off center in their circles on both pages, but in Foxit they are fine.

The text will resize in the larger boxes at the top of the first page in Foxit, but in Adobe I get a little plus sign in the lower right and when I click it I get scroll bars to view the text that doesn't fit in the box.  Even with the resizing text in Foxit it seems to shrink way before the boxes are close to full.

In both readers the text in the skill dropdown for weapons is far too large.

When that dropdown loses focus it correctly updates the dice pool in Adobe but not in Foxit.

In Adobe all the bubbles to fill for skill ranks (and critical severity and item conditions) work fine, but in Foxit there is some weirdness.  Whatever rank you click fills in, but all the previous ranks just have little dots in them.  If you increase the skill the new rightmost bubble fills correctly, but the previous one becomes just a dot.  If you lower the skill at all then none of the bubbles will fill and will only get little dots to mark them.

Earlier versions of the sheet had the labels 'qualities' and 'attachments' in the weapon stat blocks, but now those boxes are blank.

This is just a suggestion, but in the talent blocks the fillable text in the boxes for page, activation, and ranked should be centered.  The same goes for defense, soak, encumbrance, and hard points of armor, encumbrance of gear, damage, crit, range, enc, and hp of weapons, and current encumbrance and encumbrance threshold.  In fact, that particular area could use a redesign to look like the other thresholds.

Thank you to both of you for putting all this work in, but I'm hoping you're willing to make it even better or show me what I'm doing wrong.

I don't use Foxit and the issues with it aren't something I'm able to fix as it sounds like a difference in how they interpret a field vs how the official Adobe Reader interprets the same field (same with the Javascript that drives the activation/deactivation of checkboxes). Looking at the text issues, it seems that Adobe thinks that "centered" text means keep the cursor centered and send the first character to the right, the second to the left, etc... That isn't easy to compensate for unless I set the text to a fixed width font (Courier New) which don't look very good.

It seems that Adobe has changed how multiline, scrolled text works (that + sign you're seeing).

Looking at Aazlain's v4 sheet, it looks like he took out the information and made the bottom row just one long line. I didn't look that closely when I copied the form fields from the v2 file to the v4 and then fixed up alignment.

We've used this sheet for weeks now (or so it seems!), we love it. I actually like that all the Combat-related info is on one side.

We are getting to a point where we have an issue with it: We need more space for the Talents! the PCs are really into using Talents, and since they are non-combat-style, they have maxed up the amount of lines available for the first page.

Could you add another page? that would include additionnal talent lines? Would that make sense?

Are you wanting a page that is just a long list of fields for Talents? If so, that should be doable.

Yes,I think that's what I'd want. Background text can be done on any other word processing software.

Edited by aljovin

I really love the layout! I was working on my own but I might just use yours now. One thing I've been using with my npcs cards that you might like for the non-automated version would be to add black outlined, white filled hexagon and rhombus icons in the dice pool sections. That way the player can write the number of each inside the shape, just as they do with their characteristics.

I've fixed up a few issues that were present in the V4 sheet and created a Talents sheet for those needing more space for Talents on their characters. I decided to make it a separate sheet so that one could print or have multiple copies of the sheets for a given character rather than embedding a fixed number into the main sheet.

Enjoy.