Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aazlain

Homemade character sheet - Draft - Suggestions welcomed

93 posts in this topic

My version works fine, regarding the d and s, I get the proficiency dice, however, not all the textboxes have the auto-size font, in the Talents and Special abilities, it's not there.

This seems to be an issue with multi-line text boxes. I guess I could hardcode a font size (smallest is 6), but never sure what size is best because some people will type a few words and others will want to write whole pages.

Tried the latest version, with the results that some things work fine but a few areas have trouble. See the below picture and note the issues in the Notable Features and Specialization Trees sections, as well as the fact that my icons for the Ability and Proficiency dice are instead the letters d and c in green and yellow, respectively.

GkWnQ5X.jpg

Embedded the font into the document, so it shouldn't substitute for another font now. Not sure what PDF reader that is you're showing as the buttons should fill the whole field and not just be a small green dot.

Uploaded them to my site.

Getting there. 

I'm experiencing a bug. Can you replicate on your end ?

The character sheet doesn't display the dice pools correctly in the weapons section. Ability dices are showing but proficiency dice are missing.

hello there. I would like to see in the skill section of the weapons without the selection item and where you can just type it into there.

Alright, Here's The First Pass

Grab, use, comment.

It seems that the dice pool is using Will instead of Presence.

Where?

I think it's something else, I've put values in all the characteristics, but I think the issue was that the refresh wasn't made after the update (like updating a value, but not leaving the textbox)

The Weapon section as well we had that issue, but I'm suspecting that it's the same. Here is how to reproduce the issue with the characteristics:

1 - Enter all the values

2 - Click on the box of a value (say Presence)

3 - Enter a new value (don't go out of the textbox yet)

4 - Click on the textbox again

5 - Click outside the textbox

I guess that the update is made on the "On-leave" event and it check if the "Changed" or "IsDirty" is checked, but it has been updated to false. At least, that's my guess!;)

hello there. I would like to see in the skill section of the weapons without the selection item and where you can just type it into there.

It wouldn't be possible to know what characteristic to associate for the Dice pool.

Alright, Here's The First Pass

Grab, use, comment.

It seems that the dice pool is using Will instead of Presence.

Where?

I think it's something else, I've put values in all the characteristics, but I think the issue was that the refresh wasn't made after the update (like updating a value, but not leaving the textbox)

The Weapon section as well we had that issue, but I'm suspecting that it's the same. Here is how to reproduce the issue with the characteristics:

1 - Enter all the values

2 - Click on the box of a value (say Presence)

3 - Enter a new value (don't go out of the textbox yet)

4 - Click on the textbox again

5 - Click outside the textbox

I guess that the update is made on the "On-leave" event and it check if the "Changed" or "IsDirty" is checked, but it has been updated to false. At least, that's my guess! ;)

There is no Change or "Dirty". The events possible in Acrobat are onFocus, onBlur, MouseUp, MouseDown, MouseEnter and MouseExit. So, I chose the action that would work "the best" for it. Namely onBlur (when the field loses focus).

If the sheet was a webpage, then I could do a lot more using jQuery/jQuery-ui, but at the cost of not controlling the layout as precisely.

I could do that, but then it would be impossible to properly identify the associated Characteristic and Skill for the showing of the pool. Since there is a limited number of skills to choose from it is simpler to just use a dropdown to control the entry. Saves a lot of headaches of solving "issues" caused by bad entry of the user and the code would still need to know how to interpret what the user typed.

I've given this a try... looks good, works well. Although one minor thing that hasn't been mentioned is in the weapon entries on page 2. While it allows me to pick the skill just fine, the dice pool seems to give me 2 ability ranks regardless of what the actual skill is. In my case, I have a pilot with Agility 3, and 2 ranks in piloting... which should give him 1 ability dice and 2 proficiency dice with it.

Other than that... this looks great!

I've given this a try... looks good, works well. Although one minor thing that hasn't been mentioned is in the weapon entries on page 2. While it allows me to pick the skill just fine, the dice pool seems to give me 2 ability ranks regardless of what the actual skill is. In my case, I have a pilot with Agility 3, and 2 ranks in piloting... which should give him 1 ability dice and 2 proficiency dice with it.

Other than that... this looks great!

Not sure I understand. Piloting is on the first page. What does that have to do with the weapons on the second page?

Wups... My bad... seniors moment? I meant that he's a pilot, but has 1 rank in Ranged (light) and an Agility of 3. The dice pool on the weapons page when I set it to Ranged (light) for a Heavy Blaster Pistol in the weapon section shows only 2 green ability dice in the pool, rather than 2 ability and 1 proficiency dice.

Fixed and uploaded v2 and v4.

For some reason the yellow doce won't show up in the weapons section.

A) I just uploaded new versions. Make sure to grab them again.

B) Helps if you provide more detail to determine the cause.

I don't know why it doesn't work.

I input 3 in agility for instance, then three green dice show up in the dice pool when I select ranged light for a weapon. If I then input two in ranged light skill, then two green dice disappears and no yellow dice shows up. It works just fine in the skills section. :-)

But awesome work ;-)

I don't know why it doesn't work.

I input 3 in agility for instance, then three green dice show up in the dice pool when I select ranged light for a weapon. If I then input two in ranged light skill, then two green dice disappears and no yellow dice shows up. It works just fine in the skills section. :-)

But awesome work ;-)

To get the weapon fields to update, you have to select the dropdown, then click somewhere else. That part of the sheet isn't tripped off by updates to stats or skills.

I gave it a try, but unfortunately it appears that the proficiency dice are not appearing in the dice pool beside the weapon in question, even after a few clicks and reselections to be sure. I really respect all the hard work you're putting into this, and I'm not trying to be a pain. I'm presuming the proficiency dice and the ability dice are essentially two different columns in the character sheet?

They are two different columns. One right-aligned, the other left aligned so they appear next to each other.

Did you grab the latest from my site? What program are you using to read the file?

I only have and test with Adobe Reader. So I don't use Foxit or Apple's Preview

I've been using the adobe reader, but I didn't check to see if it was the latest version. I did download it, but it might have been the old one. I will double check when I get home.

Thanks so much for this.

WOW I did not read this thread far enough first time... I did not realize this thing was fillable. Amazing Sheet sir. I will be impimenting in my campaigns at once!

WOW I did not read this thread far enough first time... I did not realize this thing was fillable. Amazing Sheet sir. I will be impimenting in my campaigns at once!

That's probably because versions were posted of the sheet while I worked on making them fillable by the users.