Sign in to follow this  
ByzantineFalcon

Generating Challenging

Running my players though a somewhat modified version of Final Sanction, now that I have a bit more of a handle on the rules. At first, I was thinking "ok, this one should give them a real fear of the possibility of death…" with encounter after encounter of Magnitude 30-50 hordes. Basically the stats of Guardsmen, with Autoguns rather than lasguns.

The thing is, there is almost no real threat to them, and I think I am doing something wrong as a result.

Lets say you have a Magnitude 30 horde. Using the weapon stats from the Errata, that horde can make 3 attacks, lets say as a semi-auto burst. You are not likely to get more than 2 hits each time, and even with the size bonus, your only looking at 3d10+3. With toughness and armor, I would need to do more than 18 damage for them to even notice, which does not often happen even when they do hit.

First encounter, they found cover (which pretty much meant they didnt take a scratch), but after they saw how little the horde could do to them, they basically just stand in the open and gun them down. Ok, fair enough, they ARE Space Marines. So, later on I set up an ambush with a few gun teams with heavier guns, but it was the same deal. In this case, the fact that they were not hordes meant they did even less damage.

Any idea what I can do to spice things up? Other than tossing in the odd weapons team with a missile launcher, or having a "horde" of teams with heavy weapons (like Heavy Bolters maybe?). Kind of at a loss for what to do even to whittle them down a bit. As it is going, they are going to all but wipe out any and every horde they come across, without much fear of damage, and in record time.

The only other option I came up with was to supplement them with some of the IG equipment from Only War (which I have).

Anyone else run into this when sending waves of 'human' opponents at Deathwatch Teams? Or am I missing something?

I was having  the same problem from time to time, just try to bind them in close combat or send some harder single enemys with them, e.g. some Warriors with a horde of hormagaunts/termagaunts or some Hybrids with your "Guardsmen" hordes.

You can put a heavy weapon team inside a horde or even a melta/flamer in the group.  The horde attacks as normal and the heavy weapon attacks seperately. 

What i do with my games is they can pickout the heavy weapon to be killed but then their attack only does 1 magnitude damage and the weapon is delayed a round as the next guy picks it up to use the following round.

ByzantineFalcon said:

…your only looking at 3d10+3. With toughness and armor, I would need to do more than 18 damage for them to even notice, which does not often happen even when they do hit…

Median damage on 3d10+3 is 19.5; combined with the extra shots from Magnitude and firing Full or Semi-auto should pose a real threat of 'nibbling' a Space Marine to death unless they can eliminate the Horde quickly. Did you just roll poorly? The very first burnt Fate Point in my campaign was caused by an autogun-armed Horde…

We've just been in a situation where a xenos horde and several elites caused quite a bit of trouble to our kill team and allies. We were caught in an ambush and went straight into close combat, we had to fight our way out with just Bolter Pistols, grenades and melee weapons, our Librarian was at -30% WP so he was at a serious disadvantage with his Avenger power. The xenos managed to put down three NPCs, causing the burning of 3 fate points from them. Had we been at range the enemy would have most likely been creamed by our Heavy bolter and Storm bolter wielding marines.

The gm/enemy chose their ground well and used their strengths against us.