Sign in to follow this  
teufelwolf@yahoo.com

2015…will this game be around?

I am dumb founded by the question, to even consider the game dying in a calendar year. Even if they annoucent the Raider would be the last expansion I see a large group of people playing the game faithfully for 2 years at least beyond the end of production.

To be fair, the thread was started 18 months ago.

Boris the Genius necro'd it so he could condescend.

They haven't mined the prequel or Clone Wars era, there's more from the EU left, plus there's whatever can come from the new movies, so there's certainly mot a lack of material to go forward on.

For that matter, there's still some options from the original Trilogy I'd like to see:

1. T-16 Skyhopper, T-47 Air/Snowspeeder, and Bespin Cloud Car. Maybe these aren't starships, technically, but they still might be fun, and lead to a logical expansion ...

3. Ground assault. Integrate the fighter mechanics with combat in-atmosphere with ground units, so we can have AT-ATs, AT-STs, ground troops, etc. Since the base game doesn't play altitude anyway I don't see why this couldn't work. I'd like to do a Hoth scenario.

Rogue Squadron on N64 showed Snowspeeders flying in space. Not sure if it's supposed to be possible or not. The thought of a snow speeder and tie fighter playing tug of war via a steel cable is kind of funny though

Also, I'm under the impression that FFG doesn't have rights to anything from the first three episodes. They only have rights to the original trilogy, the upcoming trilogy, and the EU. Anyone else heard anything similar?

Dang, I would have loved a BSG version of these game mechanics.  Hey, FFG, you paying attention?  They could do old and new versions too.  Just leave Loren Green out though, LOL.

I love this idea too. I always flew my Vipers and X-wings together when I was a kid.

I have to disagree about Lorne Greene though, he was great.

I am dumb founded by the question, to even consider the game dying in a calendar year. Even if they annoucent the Raider would be the last expansion I see a large group of people playing the game faithfully for 2 years at least beyond the end of production.

To be fair, the thread was started 18 months ago.

Boris the Genius necro'd it so he could condescend.

Wait how did Boris Necro this? Last post I see he made was 2013.

Given that the game has possibly the worlds strongest sci fi intellectual property, its a sound set of mechanics, the playing pieces are high quality and its very easy to play while being a challend to master i think the only thing that would *stop* this game being around for some time is FFG going under.

And then i'm sure someone would buy it up and republish.

Licensing could be an issue.

Potentially Disney could see how popular it is (though it bet its revenue will be a drop in the ocean compared to toy sales) and alter the amount wanted to licence...  lets pray they dont alter the bargain any further to paraphrase vader.

I mean as a rough benchmark GW wouldnt give you a licence to use their IP unless you were able to guarantee them one million GBP in returns... and there IP isnt as strong as LFLs/Disneys here.

I say £1million and it seems crazy writing that down as 'too much' but i used to know guys in licencing and im pretty sure thats the case.   I had an idea myself once for a business plan based on unused GW IP that was currently 'dead' and told that they'd need to see a business plan that returned that amount to even consider it.

I'm a bit tired and hungover today but im pretty darn sure that was the case.

Anyway....

So strong product, lots of places to go with it, supply cant meet demand at the mo.      I can only see it getting *bigger* once we start to see (potentially) rebels and epVII ships and characters being added.

(although EPVII characters could be an issue... could you have 70 year old han as crew on a ship piloted by chewie as he was 30 years ago :)  )

X-wing has in two years become the 2nd best selling miniature game on the market, it's overtaking more established games like warmahordes and given gw`s current decline number one isn't out of the question.

Yes there are supply issues but ffg didn't know how this game would blow up, when ordering from outside suppliers there will always be delays, we know they've had to reject certain batches due to quality and that's a good thing.

People are dropping other games in favour of x-wing because of the good rules and balanced game play, plus they've now shown producing new ships is something they are cool with.

I don't see the game disappearing any time soon.