Sign in to follow this  
TimmyTheNerd

First time GMing Deathwatch

I've played Shadowrun, WoW:RPG, DnD and Pathfinder. Of those games, I've only GM'd Pathfinder. My Pathfinder group wants to try out a new PnP RPG and we've decided on Deathwatch. Since I was GMing Pathfinder, and they like me as a GM, I was…volunteered. This will be the majority of the group's first time with Deathwatch, myself included. I've never played a Fantasy Flight Games RPG before, I did buy the Anime Core Rulebook once to read but nothing every came of it. I went out and bought the following Deathwatch books:
Core Rulebook
First Founding
Game Master's Kit
Mark of The Xenos
Rites of Battle
The Emperor Protects

I haven't gone through all of the books yet, but I was wondering if there is a book that has rules for Chaplain. I spotted the Rosarius in Rites of Battle, but haven't seen anything on Chaplains yet.

TimmyTheNerd said:

I've played Shadowrun, WoW:RPG, DnD and Pathfinder. Of those games, I've only GM'd Pathfinder. My Pathfinder group wants to try out a new PnP RPG and we've decided on Deathwatch. Since I was GMing Pathfinder, and they like me as a GM, I was…volunteered. This will be the majority of the group's first time with Deathwatch, myself included. I've never played a Fantasy Flight Games RPG before, I did buy the Anime Core Rulebook once to read but nothing every came of it. I went out and bought the following Deathwatch books:
Core Rulebook
First Founding
Game Master's Kit
Mark of The Xenos
Rites of Battle
The Emperor Protects

I haven't gone through all of the books yet, but I was wondering if there is a book that has rules for Chaplain. I spotted the Rosarius in Rites of Battle, but haven't seen anything on Chaplains yet.

A few thoughts.

1. Download the 1.1 Deathwatch errata. The most crucial parts are to use the errated Righteous Fury rules and the optional revised weapon stats.

2. I strongly advise that you do not use the core book rules for Righteous Fury or weapon stats. Except perhaps for relics, since there are no revised stats for them. A combination of a generally high chance to hit, old Righteous Fury, old weapon stats and automatically confirming critical hits means people were regularly one-shotting the biggest enemies in the game.

3. Have a good grasp of the rules. Our group found the squad mode rules a little tricky to wrap our heads around until we'd played a few games. The errata actually helps with explaining those.

4. The timely use of solo mode abilities and squad attack & defense patterns can make a huge difference to a Killteam's ability to overcome their foes and quickly. Especially at high ranks, these abilities can mean the difference between a crushing victory and an inglorious defeat.

5. Expect combat to be *brutal*. Space Marines can dish out huge damage even with the revised rules, and they can take quite a bit too. However, a solid Righteous Fury can mangle even the toughest of characters. Be prepared to see enemies drop like flies and perhaps the odd PC too.

6. Encourage players to roleplay. There is huge scope for great roleplay between marines of different chapters, martial traditions and personalities. Especially when they're forced to work together. Deathwatch can be run as a combat fest but that's not where the best fun lies in my humble opinion.

Rites of Battle includes the Chaplain advanced specialty, First Founding the Wolf Priest. Unless you're starting the game at a high rank, a character cannot start as either.

Roughly. A character spends xp to enter them. They don't replace a given rank, they add a table of advances. They usually also give some special ability or even additional wargear.

You will need the Core Rule Book, Rites of Battle and First Founding Books as well as the Eratta (.pdf download) to get started.  You can download Final Sanction (.pdf download) as a starter mission to get your feet wet.  The group I'm in, that is the scenario the GM is running.

Personally I think the core book weapon stats work quite well if you are using the OW combat modifiers, which cut down on the autofire problem considerably*. At least they're working well in my current game.

In fact it is not hard to make a character with the new stats that is immune to bolter fire, which I think is silly.

*A heavy bolter with a BS of 60 at short range with a half-action aim will hit a human-sized target on average with 3 shots, as opposed to the non-OW 6, thus halving its damage. And making the plasma cannon much more competitive BTW since it will hit 20% more often.

Edited by bogi_khaosa