Sign in to follow this  
Timeron Malachi

Starship Names

What are some of your favorite names for starships? These are some from games I've been in or names my friends and I have talked about using before. Some are blatantly taken from pop culture/movies/music, etc.

First Thing's Last

Split Infinitive

Red Herring

Look Sir, It's One of Ours

Attractive Nuisance

The End of Silence (a Rebel Mon Cal cruiser)

Vulgar Display of Power (Super Star Destroyer)

Plan B

The Pleasure Cruise

The Artful Dodger

The Only Show in Town

Swagger

Rough Rider

Widowmaker

Babymaker

The Gundark's Ear (also a decent name for a bar, I think)

Legitimate Business

Palpatine's Nostril

So, what've you got?

Anything named "The ________ Wuff" I find amusing.  My car is "The Grey Wuff."  A boat I would call "Sea Wuff."  So naturally I would push for "The Star Wuff."  It's stupid, but there it is.

"New Hope" would actually work pretty well for a ship.  Or you could go the other direction with "The Final Frontier."  Maybe "Wrath of Khan" for a pirate ship.

During our run through The Long Arm of the Hutt, Mathus decided that he would change the name of the Krayt Fang, along with its ID markings, etc.  I got him to roll a Computers check, average difficulty, to see if he could do so.  He rolled a successful check, but several threat.  He was also high at the time on Deathsticks laced with an as-yet unknown "additive", so, rather than changing the name to what he wanted, he changed it to an anagram of what he wanted!  The ship has become the Ionised Rum or Ion's Rum, depending on who's talking about it.  It's great!

The ship I gave my PCs was initially called (before they changed it) "Arm's Reach".

It was called that entirely so I could make a bad joke about them always being within "Arm's Reach".  The groans and heavy sighs I received made it totally worth it.

For those interested, or that have a copy, the first issue of Star Wars Gamer had an article called Shipbuilding Secrets. The article also included a bit on naming your ship using random tables. Some examples include The Nomad, The Emerald Tiger, The Pearl Hunter, and on and on. Fun if you are having trouble coming up with something on your own.

My all time favorite ship name was the OLD X-wing PC game.  Where your whole mission was to fly around in an A-wing IDing a convoy that is regrouping.  Near the end an Imperator Class-Star Destroyer shows up and starts launching it's entire compliment of TIEs at you.  When you get to withen 5km you find out it's name.

The Name of the ship: BADI DEA

Ship names I can think of from recent games:

The Non-Sequitor (owned and run by the smuggler, Vareth Non), with an *illegal* alternate transponder for the Lucky Gungan (named for the NPC pilot who *never* rolled less than an 18 on his pilot checks!)

The Wasted Rancor

Lost Hope

Never Again

Shadow Hunter (a Whitecloak fighter from back before the Clone Wars, originally owned by the character's Jedi aunt)

Nothing of Value (one too many pirate encounters where things went wrong…)