Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_Brown_Bomber

Does anyone play A-Wings? whats the best squad you have that uses at least one A-Wing?

74 posts in this topic

A list that I have been using recently:

3x Rookie Pilot + R2

2x Prototype Pilot

I love the manueverability of the Awings, but I dislike their lack of omph. I find they are the best used mopping up something that was softened by an Xwing.

Since I am usually fully deployed before my opponents put down one model, I have to hedge my bets. I deploy in the following manner: 1 group of 3 xwings in one corner of my deployment, at a 45 degree angle pointing inwards. 1 group os 2 awings in the opposite corner, also at a 45 degree angle pointing to the center of the board.

First turn: Since most people are now using fleets that require formation flying, and my fleet doesnt, the plan is for one of my squadrons to get behind the enemy blog (unless they are using a large ship). So the squadron that the enemy deploys across from (its usually been the Awings) will bank 3 to be flying parallel to my table edge and the other squadron will bank 3 in the same direction to fly parallel with the side of the board.

I have played this 3 times now, and everytime, my opponents have tried to jump the Awings to get them out of combat faster. Invariablly, there are a lot of straight 4 and 5 moves towards them. I use a combination of boosts and evades to keep them infront and in range band 3. After the first turn the Xwings usually hard 2 or 3 towards the enemy ships, and I can often catch them on the second turn and be behind them on the third turn.

My Awings usually take a pounding in the first three or four turns. If any survive, they straight 5 + boost out of range and then loop back to catch the enemies now dancing with the xwings.

Its won me 3 games, one was extremely close, a lone xwing survived.

Does anyone play A-Wings?

Can anyone get a hold of them is a better question. I've been trying for months to buy one. If more were available to purchase I'm sure that they would get more play time.

GSP + PTL = Fun

I play

Luke + Swarm + R2-D2

Rookie +R2

GSP + PTL

GSP + PTL

100 points, fast, kinda hard hitting, and long living. 

A list that I have been using recently:

3x Rookie Pilot + R2

2x Prototype Pilot

I love the manueverability of the Awings, but I dislike their lack of omph. I find they are the best used mopping up something that was softened by an Xwing.

Since I am usually fully deployed before my opponents put down one model, I have to hedge my bets. I deploy in the following manner: 1 group of 3 xwings in one corner of my deployment, at a 45 degree angle pointing inwards. 1 group os 2 awings in the opposite corner, also at a 45 degree angle pointing to the center of the board.

First turn: Since most people are now using fleets that require formation flying, and my fleet doesnt, the plan is for one of my squadrons to get behind the enemy blog (unless they are using a large ship). So the squadron that the enemy deploys across from (its usually been the Awings) will bank 3 to be flying parallel to my table edge and the other squadron will bank 3 in the same direction to fly parallel with the side of the board.

I have played this 3 times now, and everytime, my opponents have tried to jump the Awings to get them out of combat faster. Invariablly, there are a lot of straight 4 and 5 moves towards them. I use a combination of boosts and evades to keep them infront and in range band 3. After the first turn the Xwings usually hard 2 or 3 towards the enemy ships, and I can often catch them on the second turn and be behind them on the third turn.

My Awings usually take a pounding in the first three or four turns. If any survive, they straight 5 + boost out of range and then loop back to catch the enemies now dancing with the xwings.

Its won me 3 games, one was extremely close, a lone xwing survived.

i played the same list only had a red squadron, 2 rookies and 2 prototypes

Edited by executor

no idea why that came out in a white box with white text.....

i played the same list only had a red squadron, 2 rookies and 2 prototypes

Edited by executor

For a while I was dropping in Tycho using Swarm Tactics with a generic buddy while both were using missiles. The idea was to keep both flying in formation as much as possible while X-Wings were on support. It didn't work as well as I'd like, but it was interesting and netted me a few wins.

One list I've tried in a tournament was 4 x Green Squadron w/Deadeye & Homing Missiles. It worked ok for me but the lack of punch after the missiles were gone was a problem. The beauty of the list is you don't need to lock on to fire your missiles, vital for a PS3 pilot IMO and keeps your opponent guessing as to where the missiles are going. If I was to take this list in another tournament I'd probably exchange some/all of the Homing Missiles for Assault Missiles to deal with the TIE Swarms that people still run.

I ran two green squadron A-wings with cluster missiles to support Han this past Monday. It worked extremely well. I was only against five ties but the two attacks allowed me to pick off some ties that were annoying Han. Like y-wings A-wings are great support ships. I've used this A-wing setup against X-wings and yt100s and it can be a game changer if you set it up right.

One list I've tried in a tournament was 4 x Green Squadron w/Deadeye & Homing Missiles. It worked ok for me but the lack of punch after the missiles were gone was a problem. The beauty of the list is you don't need to lock on to fire your missiles, vital for a PS3 pilot IMO and keeps your opponent guessing as to where the missiles are going. If I was to take this list in another tournament I'd probably exchange some/all of the Homing Missiles for Assault Missiles to deal with the TIE Swarms that people still run.

Agreed, Homing Missiles without Target Lock misses out on one of their huge selling points: not spending the TL. I'd probably give two of them Assault Missiles and the other two Concussion Missiles because one [blank] result turns into a [Hit] result, which I think is pretty swell. It's only 98 points, but I don't think that's much of a problem.

Agreed, Homing Missiles without Target Lock misses out on one of their huge selling points: not spending the TL. I'd probably give two of them Assault Missiles and the other two Concussion Missiles because one [blank] result turns into a [Hit] result, which I think is pretty swell. It's only 98 points, but I don't think that's much of a problem.

Actually, with Deadeye, you'll still have the Focus to modify your die roll so it's not a total loss. And it gives you more versatility in that you can use the Focus for defense if you need it. While it's true you'll lose the missile shot if you're shot at by someone with a higher PS than you and use the Focus for defense, it'll give you more survivability in the long run.

Actually, with Deadeye, you'll still have the Focus to modify your die roll so it's not a total loss. And it gives you more versatility in that you can use the Focus for defense if you need it. While it's true you'll lose the missile shot if you're shot at by someone with a higher PS than you and use the Focus for defense, it'll give you more survivability in the long run.

Wow, have I been asleep at the wheel! Totally missed that little gem. You can tell how often I actually field A-wings  :P

some nice squads popping up here, actually makes me want to try a few out. 

i like Luke + x-wing rookie + 2x Green Sqd Pilot/PTL.

i like the idea of specializing in evasive movement (PTL) with 2x x-wings for firepower.

lends itself to flying in two wings (2v2, A-Wings to out flank and X-Wings to engage the enemy)

I like:

Tycho + stealth + PTL + assault missiles

(x2) Green Squadron + stealth + PTL + assault missiles

Wow! A definate TIE swarm killer! I would fear this if I saw it coming at my TIE swarm!

One list I want to try is:

3 x Gold Squadron Y-Wings w/Ion Turret & R2

1 x Green Squadron A-Wing w/Deadeye & Assault/Homing missile

100 points even. Y's fly in close formation setting up targets with their Ion Turrets for the A-Wing to shoot at.

Edited by zathras23

I like:

Tycho + stealth + PTL + assault missiles

(x2) Green Squadron + stealth + PTL + assault missiles

Wow! A definate TIE swarm killer! I would fear this if I saw it coming at my TIE swarm!

Yes, I'm fortunate that nobody has brought this against my own swarm either!  If the Rebel player hasa bit of luck, you could eliminate a swarm in one turn!  The best defense if you see this trio of Awings coming is to scatter.

all this talk lately about A-wings is interesting and comes at an interesting time for me

as of the past month, i've been playing my exclusively A-wing squad of Green Squadron w/ Veteran Instincts and Homing Missiles x4 (I really need to come up with a name for this list.. any takers?) and having good success with them... sitting at an approximate 60% win rate (was a 50:50 list until my string of wins as of recent)

i've found that the wins i've had have mostly been due to unpredictable flying and saving some of my missiles for later in the game instead and using an A-wing or two to use as blockers against the lists with many higher pilot skill pilots to deny them actions and allow them to survive longer and put out more damage.  I have to do this because it's become blatantly obvious that those A-Wings want to launch all their missiles off simultaneously and kill things asap; so i get rushed all the time going from out of range to being in range 1.. so i now take advantage of that situation

only time will truly tell for me, but i find that the more i'm flying this list; the more i'm enjoying it and the better i'm getting at it

Edited by executor
Tusken Raider likes this

only time will truly tell for me, but i find that the more i'm flying this list; the more i'm enjoying it and the better i'm getting at it

Thanks for sharing that, executor! It's fun when you can see your skill improving. Way to react to the environment! It makes me want to return to the squad I've been flying for months to see if I can get better, but there are so many other squads to try!

I flew Arvel and a prototype to support Lando this past monday.  The prototype had an assault missile and Arvel had a cluster missile.  Arvel's ability only worked twice both resulting in no damage because of his lack of an action.  Both turns Lando needed to pass the action he also needed to make a none green maneuver or he was out of range.

If i use an A-wing i ussually just pick the cheapest one and load up a missle than use it to help stay out of people sights abd than help apply heat/action denial if i can

Rekkon said:

All Fighters Follow Me

Lando Calrissian + Squad Leader + Nien Nunb + Millenium Falcon (48)

Green Squadron Pilot + Push the Limit + Concussion Missiles (26)

Green Squadron Pilot + Push the Limit + Concussion Missiles (26)

Both A-wings move and take evade. Lando moves, giving a free action to one A-wing with his ability and one to the other via Squad Leader. Both A-wings use PtL to target lock and focus. Done correctly, each A-wing gets three actions, and you can fire both missiles with focus in the first exchange after target locking at pilot skill 7. With both focus and evade, the A-wings are difficult to kill before they fire, and PtL boosts their usefulness late game after the missiles are gone.

I love the idea but I don't think it works at least not first pass.

Been racking my brain but dont see how you can get 3 actions due to stress. Can't PTL and take an action from Lando.

If I'm wrong plz explain

The GSP's can't take 2 actions (+ stress) during their activations and then get an action from Lando. However, they can take one action (and no stress) during their activations, then get an action from Lando and trigger Push the Limit for a third action (and stress) after Lando's free action. Edited by iNano78

as of the past month, i've been playing my exclusively A-wing squad of Green Squadron w/ Veteran Instincts and Homing Missiles x4 (I really need to come up with a name for this list.. any takers?)

Hmm, how about "Homing Green is People"?  "Go Green"?  "Green Spam"?