Sign in to follow this  
chancha807

New to FFG and to LCG . Which would be the first best expansion for TLOTR Core set ?

well this is asked often and the answer i always give is 'go in order'

the reason for this is

1.you get the experience as the game came out

2.you get to play the storyline in order

3. you build your card pool steadily without jumping to any really hard later quests

this may not be that easy now though- several of the early quests are hard to come by until the reprints are out. if you dont want to wait and cant find any mirkwood packs then id say go for khazad dum

remember you need to buy this to play any of the following dwarrowdelf cycle

rich

doing them "in order" is NOT the way to go.

The card pool was smaller and the game less developed.. so many of the older quest have real problems when trying to compete them. Your better going with the current meta and then going back to these old quests to grab key cards form the old pools. If you start at the beginning you are likely to run into many of the problems of undeveloped spheres and be hit by the frustration that drove a large portion of the player base form the game in the early days.

Also there IS NO story.. there IS NO progression. I have no idea what these older players are thinking. Each cycle has a interconnecting theme, but they have absolutely no relation to the next one. You can do them in any order you want. The theming in this game is weak as hell. This isn't a questing adventure game set in middle earth.. it is a strait up combat game. Fight monsters.. in fact there is a re-skinning of this game in process at BGG turning it into a gladiator game.. This is being rectified in the Saga Expantions. In fact when I speak to new LoTRlcg players and they talk about setting and theme.. what they are really talking about is the Saga expansions. These though are stand along games nearly and IMO is what LoTr was supposed to be in the first place. If your looking for theme, this is where you want to go. They are not the game most new people are looking for still but it is a lot closer then the "normal" version of LoTR.

PLUS … The original cycles are out of print.. so it isn't an option in the first place.

Your best best it to buy the saga expantion for the Hobbit.. and start there. You can make some fun decks form the cards just in 1 copy of core + the hobbits and this will give you a great story driven quest that has progression and continuity to the original books. If you look in the news list the developers even posted some deck lists that only use the hobbit and 1core to get you started. It eve has a squeal if you like it.

The other option is to pick a deck from some of the veteran players. Glaurung is probably one of the best deck builders that posts publicly that I know of.. try finding his dwarf deck.. also Outlnads deck is very powerful right now. So look up these deck lists and then go by JUST the packs needed. You now have a powerful deck that will be able to beat many quest and in the process of building it you also have a ton of quest you can try it out on and a card pool to build more.

booored said:

doing them "in order" is NOT the way to go.

The card pool was smaller and the game less developed.. so many of the older quest have real problems when trying to compete them. Your better going with the current meta and then going back to these old quests to grab key cards form the old pools. If you start at the beginning you are likely to run into many of the problems of undeveloped spheres and be hit by the frustration that drove a large portion of the player base form the game in the early days.

Also there IS NO story.. there IS NO progression. I have no idea what these older players are thinking. Each cycle has a interconnecting theme, but they have absolutely no relation to the next one. You can do them in any order you want. The theming in this game is weak as hell. This isn't a questing adventure game set in middle earth.. it is a strait up combat game. Fight monsters.. in fact there is a re-skinning of this game in process at BGG turning it into a gladiator game.. This is being rectified in the Saga Expantions. In fact when I speak to new LoTRlcg players and they talk about setting and theme.. what they are really talking about is the Saga expansions. These though are stand along games nearly and IMO is what LoTr was supposed to be in the first place. If your looking for theme, this is where you want to go. They are not the game most new people are looking for still but it is a lot closer then the "normal" version of LoTR.

PLUS … The original cycles are out of print.. so it isn't an option in the first place.

Your best best it to buy the saga expantion for the Hobbit.. and start there. You can make some fun decks form the cards just in 1 copy of core + the hobbits and this will give you a great story driven quest that has progression and continuity to the original books. If you look in the news list the developers even posted some deck lists that only use the hobbit and 1core to get you started. It eve has a squeal if you like it.

The other option is to pick a deck from some of the veteran players. Glaurung is probably one of the best deck builders that posts publicly that I know of.. try finding his dwarf deck.. also Outlnads deck is very powerful right now. So look up these deck lists and then go by JUST the packs needed. You now have a powerful deck that will be able to beat many quest and in the process of building it you also have a ton of quest you can try it out on and a card pool to build more.

I purchased Khazad-Dum Expansion as my first expansion. What is your experience with that expansion ?

richsabre said:

well this is asked often and the answer i always give is 'go in order'

the reason for this is

1.you get the experience as the game came out

2.you get to play the storyline in order

3. you build your card pool steadily without jumping to any really hard later quests

this may not be that easy now though- several of the early quests are hard to come by until the reprints are out. if you dont want to wait and cant find any mirkwood packs then id say go for khazad dum

remember you need to buy this to play any of the following dwarrowdelf cycle

rich

Thanks for taking time to reply . Where can i find a listing of expansions in  release order ?

chancha807 said:

I purchased Khazad-Dum Expansion as my first expansion. What is your experience with that expansion ?

I would still buy the hobbit, Kaz is a good expansion and has some fun quest.. but all the encounter decks are only used in darrowdelf packs. This is how LoTR works.. a deluxe expansion and then 6 packs that use its cards.

So if I was you I would get the Hobbit.. this will give you some awesome quest and some good deck building options. Also it is dwarf themed so the decks will fit perfectly into Kaz and the associated Darowdelf packs witch would probably be your next goal to buy after hobbit 1+2

If you do that you may consider also buying Return to Mirkwood. The quest is arguably one of the worst designed in the history of the game, especially for solo players, but it comes with some very awesome player cards including Dain Ironfoot… who is a keep card in almost all dwarf decks.. and is really a must buy imo. Some cards are fun, some cards are tricky, and some (like Dain) are the backbone of an entire deck archetype.

chancha807 said:

Thanks for taking time to reply . Where can I find a listing of expansions in  release order ?

Just go to the PRODUCT page of the game itself. All the pack appear in order. They are separated into categories though. Still if you want to know the order of Mirkwood.. just click on the mirkwood set
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=129&esem=2

Just remember that it goes deluxe expansion, then 6 associated packs.. then it repeats. So Core-Mirkwood, Kaz-Darrowdelf, and the current cycle is HoN-Against the Shadow. The PoD (Print on Demand) quests do not really fit in anywhere.. but most people I know class them as 1 per cycle. So the Mirkwood Cycle (Core+Mirkwood+Massing at Osgilith) and the Darrowdelf Cycle is (Kaz+Darowdelf+The Battle of Lake Town). Saga packs are also shown in order, but again they pop up in a separate release scheduled so there is no real way to connect them to the release… Most people I know put Hobbit 1+2 after Darrowdelf Cycle but before the Against the Shadow cycle.. and therefore the New Saga will be after the Shadow Cycle.

Hope this helps.. but seriously .. order means nothing. All you need to remember is that each cycle also includes a deluxe expansion.

Well technically the quest get harder as the game goes on, but they are also better designed and power creep means the player cards are also getting way way more powerful.. so it evens out.

Check out the blog talesfromthecards.wordpress.com. There is a buyers guide for new players that I think is pretty solid, along with deckbuilding advice and such. Since you have Khazad Dum, I would recommend three quests from that cycle, The Watcher in the Water, Foundations of Stone, and Shadow and Flame. These quest include some great heroes and player cards, and Watcher and Foundations are fun to play. Both Saga Expansions include 4 heroes each (not including the two iterations of Bilbo Baggins) and some great player cards as well, as well as some challenging quests.