Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seanie4199

sniper weapons

38 posts in this topic

Sniper rifle or long las? Sniper rifle seems the best really until you take in the ammo resupply debate about having to get ammo for non standard kit or specialist kit from the logs. Where as las clips are given as standard. Would it be better for role play to go with the weapon with the more widely used ammo? Also if you overload a long las is it unreliable from then on or just that shot? Any thoughts would help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seanie4199 said:

Also if you overload a long las is it unreliable from then on or just that shot?

I really want an answer to this question myself.

Long lases I believe cannot be silenced/muzzle-flashed (?), so if you use one enemies will always know where you are. So they are not really a sniper rifle so much as a "take down big things" rifle.

In general I think the long las is superior however due to Felling (depending on what you are fighting).

BTW with both these weapons I think it's important to note that there appears to be yet another FFG copy-paste snafu involving Accurate and the redefinition of "degree of success." It should, I am 99% sure, be +1d10 damage per two EXTRA degrees of success,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If using Hammer of the Emperor?


Direct fired Earthshaker Cannon with Pinpoint Guidance and Spotter en een Armour Piercing Shell…dealing death up to 21 kilometers…


But short of that, I would go with the Longlas, even on standard mode it can deal a whopping 3d10+3 E, Pen 1… or with an Hotshot its king..3d10+4 E, Pen 4, Tearing. Even more fun with Lasgun Expertise for that penalty to dodge…

S…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seanie4199 said:

Sniper rifle or long las? Sniper rifle seems the best really until you take in the ammo resupply debate about having to get ammo for non standard kit or specialist kit from the logs. Where as las clips are given as standard. Would it be better for role play to go with the weapon with the more widely used ammo? Also if you overload a long las is it unreliable from then on or just that shot? Any thoughts would help

 

 

Wouldn't the choice between the two weapons come from the Regiments's homeworld and or resources?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the mismatches between the fluff and OW rules is that Illustrations of the Longlas point to the 'flash suppressor' and say it is quieter than normal las weapons.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seanie4199 said:

Not if it was a ratling at creation because they given the choice between the two

 

I thought the Specialist (Ratling) adopts to the Regiment he/she is assigned to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He gets their standard equipment for the regiment but also gets his specialist equipment and he can choose between the two rifles. Or at least that's the way it reads to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always assumed assumed that specialist gear replaces whatever the corresponding weapon is in the Standard Kit (which is usually one main weapon and one or two secondary weapons).

So chainsword replaces knife, sniper rifle or ripper gun replace lasgun, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seanie4199 said:

He gets their standard equipment for the regiment but also gets his specialist equipment and he can choose between the two rifles. Or at least that's the way it reads to me

 

You are absolutely right that he does get to choose, what I implied is the theme of the regiment and how much you want to have your character stand out.

 

For example if the Regiment uses las weapons and the Ratling chooses longlas, he/she won't be short on ammo.  He/she could still choose the sniper rifle which could reinforce that he/she is not one of them by race and by weapon.  I guess it comes down tto what you want from the character and how it will it into the story.

 

Or thing of the Regiment of Savages and the Rating has the only energy weapon, think of the role-playing possibilities.

 

Concerns for ammo will only come intoplay when you won't get a chance to resupply from base. In my games the squad gets all standard kit before being deployed. So if one of my Players had choosen to play a Ratling he would have enough bullets for the mission.  I might als play up that the Supply Officer commenting on the Ratlings fine cooking (if you play up the stereotype) maybe even give the ratling extra food in case he/she has any leftovers. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bogi_khaosa said:

I've always assumed assumed that specialist gear replaces whatever the corresponding weapon is in the Standard Kit (which is usually one main weapon and one or two secondary weapons).

So chainsword replaces knife, sniper rifle or ripper gun replace lasgun, etc.



Specialist gear is in addition to standard gear. It is different however in that if lost/destroyed/etc you must roll a logistics check for a new one instead of getting it automatically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Droma said:

Specialist gear is in addition to standard gear. It is different however in that if lost/destroyed/etc you must roll a logistics check for a new one instead of getting it automatically.

 

I know it says this, but it doesn't make any sense. Why would an Ogryn get a lasgun and knife that he can't use? And a ripper gun that he needs a logistics check to replace, despite it being his standard weapon?

It also contradicts the statement (which is somewhere) that characters are assigned a main weapon (usually a basic weapon) and maybe up to two additional weapons (usually a pistol and melee weapon).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh sorry I see what you mean about going with your regiment now. Cheers that helps with the idea of role playing and my choice of weapon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bogi_khaosa said:

Droma said:

 

Specialist gear is in addition to standard gear. It is different however in that if lost/destroyed/etc you must roll a logistics check for a new one instead of getting it automatically.

 

 

 

I know it says this, but it doesn't make any sense. Why would an Ogryn get a lasgun and knife that he can't use? And a ripper gun that he needs a logistics check to replace, despite it being his standard weapon?

It also contradicts the statement (which is somewhere) that characters are assigned a main weapon (usually a basic weapon) and maybe up to two additional weapons (usually a pistol and melee weapon).



It doesn't contradict at all. The main weapon is the laspistol(normally this is replaced with something else during regiment creation) and the melee weapon is the knife.

Officers Speach, "The Imperial Guard does not care whether or not you are capable of using the weapon. It was assigned to you because it is the standard equipment of the regiment you are attached to and you are responsible for its care. All equipment that is assigned via specialty is surpluss and the regiment is not garenteed to have additonal stocks of that equipment on hand. The standard kit is intended to give the soldier all the equipment they will need to fight the Emperors enemies, if you have additional equipment assigned to you from a specialty consider it the God Emperpors blessing and be happy you are so fortunate."

From the core rulebook, Armoury chapter, Logistics section, "Every soldier is issued a standard kit that is consistent with the gear provided to all members of his regiment. In addition, specialist gear is provided to soldiers who have particular responsibilities…For game purposes, any equipment—whether acquired through legitimate or underhanded means—apart from the standard kit falls under the umbrella of the Logistics system. This includes gear issued to specialists as well as equipment specific to a mission—including non-standard gear that a Player Character might requisition…"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Santiago said:

If using Hammer of the Emperor?


Direct fired Earthshaker Cannon with Pinpoint Guidance and Spotter en een Armour Piercing Shell…dealing death up to 21 kilometers…


But short of that, I would go with the Longlas, even on standard mode it can deal a whopping 3d10+3 E, Pen 1… or with an Hotshot its king..3d10+4 E, Pen 4, Tearing. Even more fun with Lasgun Expertise for that penalty to dodge…

S…

I don't see were you get the Tearing with the overloaded longlas. personaly i like the sniper with the amputator shells 1d10+6 pen 3 or expander rounds with 1d10+5 pen 4. with an extra d10s for extra successes, with only one shot used. with the long las on overload its 1d10+5 pen 3 with the extra d10s uses 4 shots and gains unreliable. 

At this point its comes down to if felling(4) makes up for the unreliable and smaller damage/pen. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mrady said:

 

At this point its comes down to if felling(4) makes up for the unreliable and smaller damage/pen. 

 

 

 

Against Orks, Chaos Space Marines, and Necrons it'll be useful. Against human heretics, and all varieties of Eldar, it's going to be less so. Of course, I'm not sure how the OW rules treat things like Wraithguard - do they have Unnatural Toughness or just tough armour?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I see the longlas as more of a Designated Marksman weapon where f you're a dozen other guardsmen no one will be able to pick your la fire out from anyone elses, as opposed to being out in the wilderness and picking off a patrol  with just your comrade. Sniper rifle is the better weapon for stealth hands down. Also it depends on who your fighting like other people have said, if you're figting mostly Severan Dominate forces  I would say sniper rifle with Expanders or Man-Stoppers :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mrady said:

Santiago said:

 

If using Hammer of the Emperor?


Direct fired Earthshaker Cannon with Pinpoint Guidance and Spotter en een Armour Piercing Shell…dealing death up to 21 kilometers…


But short of that, I would go with the Longlas, even on standard mode it can deal a whopping 3d10+3 E, Pen 1… or with an Hotshot its king..3d10+4 E, Pen 4, Tearing. Even more fun with Lasgun Expertise for that penalty to dodge…

S…

 

 

I don't see were you get the Tearing with the overloaded longlas. personaly i like the sniper with the amputator shells 1d10+6 pen 3 or expander rounds with 1d10+5 pen 4. with an extra d10s for extra successes, with only one shot used. with the long las on overload its 1d10+5 pen 3 with the extra d10s uses 4 shots and gains unreliable. 

At this point its comes down to if felling(4) makes up for the unreliable and smaller damage/pen. 

 



Ever thought of using a Hot-Shot Charge pack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long Las Stnd:

150m, 1d10+3, Pen 1, Clip 40, Accurate, Felling (4)

Long Las HotShot:

150m, 1d10+4, Pen 4, Clip 1(!), Accurate, Felling (4), Tearing

At maximum you will have 3d10+4, Pen4 damage but only every 2(!) rounds, because you have to reload after every shot!

Furthermore you will be seen, since you cannot muffle the flash.

Before I would youse a LongLas I defenitely would rather go with a Triplex Pattern, since on Precision Mode it has nearly the same Stats, but you have a ton of options in which mode you want to fire that thing.

I personally play a sniper from an reconaissance regiment, and equiped the whole regiment with these. When in hiding it serves as sniperweapon, when in full assault it ist better than the average Lasgun. So perfect weapon for the allround Guradsman.

 

But I got my hands on a SP Snipergun and must say, it is way better than the LongLas.

200m, 1d10+4, Pen 3, Clip 20, Accurate, Silenced

You have a ton of ammo options. You cannot be seen, if you know what you are doing. The overall damage is basically the same. And most importantly: You can drop one enemy every round! Combined with Sharpshooter, Deadeye Shot and Ranged Weapon Expert you are one hell of a killing machine and will seldomly have to get medical care, since noone knows what hit them, especially if you get Stealth Sniper on top of it.

The only problem is, that your commanding officer should know his way around the munitorum, since the ammo, especially the special ammo, is sometimes hard to come by.

 

Fazit: Sniper Rifle! Defenitely my way to roll…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bogi_khaosa said:

I really want an answer to this question myself.

Long lases I believe cannot be silenced/muzzle-flashed (?), so if you use one enemies will always know where you are. So they are not really a sniper rifle so much as a "take down big things" rifle.

Actually in Hostile Acquisition for Rogue Trader there was a weapon mod called Whisper-Bolt Discharger that did exactly that. Pretty much it shifted the las-bolt dischange from visible light to infrared, making the beam almost invisible but a also a bit weaker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chillcorp said:

The only problem is, that your commanding officer should know his way around the munitorum, since the ammo, especially the special ammo, is sometimes hard to come by.

Regular bullets are Plentiful. That's more available that spare power packs for lasguns. Special ammo is a different story, but regular bullets work just fine against many targets despite the cries of anguish from gamers over having less than the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps i'm just partial to solid projectile weapons, given my regiment's extensive and sweeping use of them, but I personally think a sniper rifle is definately a better option. especially with Hammer of the Emperor and its Pattern Variation Rules, it's entirely possible to get a sniper rife with Crippling (2) Proven (2) and +2 damage. load that sucker up with manstoppers, and you've now got a potentially 3d10+ 6 pen 7 weapon that's good for taking down the vast majority of armored targets, and will always be reliable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0