Sign in to follow this  
DumpyCrown602

Who uses miniatures?

Does anyone use minis in their games? I got my core rulebook about a month ago but havnt found the time to play, but am planning to play soon. I play the tabletop game and was just wondering if there's any tricks to using the minis for the rpg.

DumpyCrown602 said:

Does anyone use minis in their games? I got my core rulebook about a month ago but havnt found the time to play, but am planning to play soon. I play the tabletop game and was just wondering if there's any tricks to using the minis for the rpg.

We use Mini's in our games for close combat (Room to room type stuff.) Longer range fights are better handled in the abstract IMHO.

If the fights are within about 50m I'll use them otherwise abstract, maybe placing them for visual reference of relative locations but I only grid close fights.

Yeah my friends and I used minis for WFRP but I tried using them when playing Deathwatch and it was a lot to keep track of to keep things interesting. Maybe I can try throwing waves of enemies at my players.

My standard advice about minis in WH40KRP is to be careful with the scale: I started out playing with 1 inch = 1 meter, but that made it too easy for fights to spill off the kitchen table; now I mostly use 1/2 inch = 1 meter or 1 cm = 1 meter.

Adeptus-B said:

My standard advice about minis in WH40KRP is to be careful with the scale: I started out playing with 1 inch = 1 meter, but that made it too easy for fights to spill off the kitchen table; now I mostly use 1/2 inch = 1 meter or 1 cm = 1 meter.

When you do it this way go gridless and use a tape measure. Trying to convert a 1" grid mat into 1/2" scale gets rough very quickly.