Johdo

Any SE Michigan games?

Here's some news. Two of us from Michigan made top 16 at the Wisconsin Regional this last weekend (Jeff #9 and Jeff #16). The link below is for the final Saturday standings - Nathan Eide won it all on Sunday.

http://knizia.boardgamebarrister.com/images/swxregionals2016swiss.html

On the flip side, if only one more person had shown up there would have been a top 16 playoff instead of only a top 8 on Sunday. Doh! But it was a great event at Board Game Barrister and maybe more can make it next year.

Here's some news. Two of us from Michigan made top 16 at the Wisconsin Regional this last weekend (Jeff #9 and Jeff #16). The link below is for the final Saturday standings - Nathan Eide won it all on Sunday.

http://knizia.boardgamebarrister.com/images/swxregionals2016swiss.html

On the flip side, if only one more person had shown up there would have been a top 16 playoff instead of only a top 8 on Sunday. Doh! But it was a great event at Board Game Barrister and maybe more can make it next year.

Yup... I just missed the cut by going 4-2 with losses to a top 4 and to Nathan.  My final match (which was on their live feed) really came down to millimeters and unlucky dice.  3 times I took a regen shot and didn't spend my focus (saving it for the full power shot), where spending it would have done a damage.  And I never did damage on the full power shot.  His IG only had 2 hull left =/.  It also sucked that he was JUST inside R3 for the opening salvo, where he did 8 damage to my Kanan immediately.  If I'd been able to win that match I would have been ~4th heading into the cut.  Oh well, it was fun!

Wow... this fell all the way to the 5th page.  Shows what happens when I go on an hiatus due to school/work.  Anyways, I'm going to be starting up another Heroes of the Aturi Cluster Campaign this Thursday at RIW (6:30pm).  

Eternal Games in Warren will be having another Summer Kit Tournament on Friday 12 August starting at 7 PM (register 6:30 to 7:00, pairings posted at 7). $5 entry; entry fees over the kit cost will be used for store credit if Eternal follows its usual system. Friday night tournaments are normally 3 rounds but might go four if the entry is large enough.

I'm also told Gamer's Gauntlet in Clinton will also host a Summer Kit Tournament on Sunday 14 August starting at 1 PM; I'm not sure what the planned entry fee is.

Edit: Eternal will also be hosting a Wave 9 pre-release tournament on Friday 19 Aug at 7 PM. $10 entry, Swiss rounds (no cut); one of each Wave 9 ship as prizes.

Edited by Hawkstrike

Eternal Games in Warren will be having another Summer Kit Tournament on Friday 12 August starting at 7 PM (register 6:30 to 7:00, pairings posted at 7). $5 entry; entry fees over the kit cost will be used for store credit if Eternal follows its usual system. Friday night tournaments are normally 3 rounds but might go four if the entry is large enough.

I'm also told Gamer's Gauntlet in Clinton will also host a Summer Kit Tournament on Sunday 14 August starting at 1 PM; I'm not sure what the planned entry fee is.

And Hollow Mountain in east Lansing is hosting a summer kit on Saturday August 13th at 5:00 pm, $10. With a couple wave 9 ships added to the prize pool.

And RIW is hosting a Wave 9 Prerelease on Saturday August 13th at 11:30am.  $10.

3 rounds
Round 1 = 90points, 60minutes 3x3
Round 2 = 150points, 90minutes, 3x3
Round 3 = 300points and 3-5 Epic Points, 150minutes. 6x3.  Scum can "acquire" any epic ship, but cannot equip uniques on that ship(s).

Eternal in Warren will also host a Wave 9 pre-release tournament on Saturday 27 August, from their Facebook page:

"Get your hands on Wave 9 ships before they are released! We will be giving away one of each ship from Wave 9 as prize for this event - If we have 12 in attendence, two of each ship will be added to the prize pool!

Entry: $15
Format: 100pt Dogfight
Structure: Swiss rounds, no cut"
Edited by Hawkstrike

Get your hands on Wave 9 ships before they are released! We will be giving away one of each ship from Wave 9 as prize for this event.  

Where:  Eternal Games

26051 Hoover Rd

Warren, MI 48089

When:  August 27, 2016 @ 6pm

Entry:  $15
Format:  100pt Dogfight
Structure:  Swiss rounds, no cut

**If we have 12 in attendence, two of each ship will be added to the prize pool**

***At 15+ players, for each additional player, a $15 store credit voucher will be added to the prize pool***

Top 46% of the field, rounded down, will drafting ships from the prize pool based on final standings

For additional information, please follow this link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1061567063930197/

Contact Info

Phone: (586) 684-4263

Email: EternalGamesLLC@gmail.com

RIW Hobbies is a game store in Livonia, MI.  There are a few shops between there and you that may be closer.  Toledo has a couple shops, with Toledo Game Room being the most well known (notorious? :P).  There's also one in Monroe, MI that I know at least carries the game, though I don't know how frequent their in-store play is - http://www.ourhousegames.com

If you're trekking up to Michigan and are anywhere in Metro Detroit, I would be remiss if I didn't promote my own store - www.flatlandgamestore.com in Wixom, MI, which is also home to the last and next X-Wing Regional.

If you check the first posting of this thread, you pretty much cover the stores in the area. All of them have held store championships and have some kind of weekly event. Also if you check facebook there is a southeast Michigan x-wing group there.

Anyone know of upcoming local tournaments or events in the metro Detroit area this March/April? I'm currently in-between leagues and hoping to find a night or weekend where I can get in a few games. I'm not too far from Garden City (Pandemonium), Livonia (R.I.W.), Wixom (Flat Land Games), Ypsilanti, or Plymouth.

On 3/20/2017 at 0:37 PM, radon86 said:

Destiny Games is holding a 100 point tournament on 4/8 starting at @4pm.  This will be in their new location in Westland.  Hope to see you there!

37828 Ford Rd, Westland MI 48185

I took a look at their Web site. For some reason, I thought at their old location they were video game-only but I see they do have tabletop listed as well.

Destiny Games started out as video games, but in the past year or two they've expanded into table top gaming.  Their new space in Westland gives them a lot more space for table top events.

16 minutes ago, radon86 said:

Destiny Games started out as video games, but in the past year or two they've expanded into table top gaming.  Their new space in Westland gives them a lot more space for table top events.

Is there FFG prize support for all the participants? A $10 buy in is a little on the excessive side without it.

Is the list of games in SE Michigan current? RIW was the only store I could find still listing X-Wing games on their schedule.

I live in the Ann Arbor/Ypsi area and was looking for a group that has a usual set of games that I could hopefully join in with. If they didn't mind, I would like to observe the first few games to get an idea of a strategy.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:13 PM, Cgriffith said:

Is there FFG prize support for all the participants? A $10 buy in is a little on the excessive side without it.

Here's the link to the Destiny games event. 

https://www.facebook.com/events/190137184819162/?acontext={"ref"%3A"4"%2C"feed_story_type"%3A"308"%2C"action_history"%3A"null"}&sharer_id=100000055473539

Come meet up and test your skill in a one day X-wing Miniatures Tournament. 100 Point swiss tournament, number of rounds will be decided by how many people are playing. $10 buy in with giveaways and a store credit prize to the winner. Come in to sign up or call the store for more details.

5 hours ago, jorklind said:

Is the list of games in SE Michigan current? RIW was the only store I could find still listing X-Wing games on their schedule.

I live in the Ann Arbor/Ypsi area and was looking for a group that has a usual set of games that I could hopefully join in with. If they didn't mind, I would like to observe the first few games to get an idea of a strategy.

Jorklind,

I don't think the list at the start of the thread is 100% up to date.  Fun4All games in Ypsilanti and Destiny Games (see my post above about their tournament on 4/8) are fairly close to you.  I've attended several tournaments at Fun4All, and they have a regular group meeting to play Heroes of the Atari Cluster.

Both stores will be  very receptive to new players.  If you don't get a chance to practice, I'd suggest maybe watching a game or two on-line then joining the tournament at Destiny games just to get some experience.

You can also use the Ynot Squad benchmark site for some practice.

Edited by radon86

11 hours ago, radon86 said:

https://www.facebook.com/events/190137184819162/?acontext={"ref"%3A"4"%2C"feed_story_type"%3A"308"%2C"action_history"%3A"null"}&sharer_id=100000055473539

Come meet up and test your skill in a one day X-wing Miniatures Tournament. 100 Point swiss tournament, number of rounds will be decided by how many people are playing. $10 buy in with giveaways and a store credit prize to the winner. Come in to sign up or call the store for more details.

I'm going to try to be there. I'll probably bring something silly like TIE swarm. Cheers!

23 hours ago, radon86 said:

That really didn't answer any of my questions and neither did the Facebook post, I guess I will pass on this tournament then.