Johdo

Any SE Michigan games?

I just heard (via Facebook) that Shenanigans is going out of business and they're having sales on all their goods.  Might be a good place to go ****** up their remaining X wing stock.

might be able to come to RIW this week.  How's the scene looking these past few months that I've been out of the country?

Since I first started playing and met you, I've only missed one Thursday. The fewest number of people has been 2 that I've seen. There is often 4 people there. Not great, but not bad. I'll be there again this Thursday, though it will be my last for a while I am afraid.

Yay!  It's confirmed I'll be there tonight, and I'm up for whatever, I need to play something besides 100 point rebels though, since I can't think of a better list than my W5 list, and I want to change it up some.

Yay!  It's confirmed I'll be there tonight, and I'm up for whatever, I need to play something besides 100 point rebels though, since I can't think of a better list than my W5 list, and I want to change it up some.

I'm curious as to what the W5 list is?

I was all set to come tonight, but the wife reminded me we had prior commitments that cannot be avoided.  So i am about 90% sure for next week!  Woohoo...can't wait to have S&V hit the table.

Tycho w/ Push the Limit, Daredevil, Experimental Interface, Proton Rockets, A Wing Test Pilot

Corran Horn w/ Veteran Instincts, Fire Control Systems, R2-D2, Engine Upgrade

Prototype Pilot w/ Chardaan Refit

99 points

Its one weakness were turrets w/ Gunner.  Not because I couldn't do damage to them (go go double tap and prockets) but because I couldn't stay out of their arc to survive.  But now turrets are less common since Auto Thrusters came out.  And the new thing is auto damage, but that requires R1 of ships that aren't as maneuverable as these, so I'm not too concerned about them either (and I also haven't actually played against anyone seriously using an auto damage list).  Control aspects don't bother Tycho at all, and the lack of PTL means the stress aspect doesn't hurt Corran.  Either one of those is a serious end game closer, and neither one can be easy to kill as the first target.  The Prototype is probably the best use of 15 points in the game (I'd argue 16 points would be better spent on Backstabber).  

It also suffered from PS9 arc dodging ships since Tycho's maneuverability wasn't as useful.  But Corran still easily dealt with the high PS ace (typically Whisper in W5, more Soontir in W6), and it's easier for Corran to kill Soontir than it is for him to kill Whisper.  Go go R1 double tap!  And now there are only two pilots from scum with PS8, and only 5 with PS7, none of which really want VI, though I suppose you could put it on a few of them for Phantom insurance.  So in general, there are less PS9+ ships, and there are less Turrets.  Therefore, my W5 list which did well in W5, *should* do even better in W6.  But I already have 50 games in with that list, so I want to switch it up some... But it's so much fun to fly Tycho like that (and Corran for that matter) that I keep adding him to every rebel list I make.

Not too shabby.  That Tycho is angry, and Corran is just a PITA sometimes.  I know from my standpoint, the Prototype is the one that should be feared the most.  :)

Yeah, i've been bouncing a few ideas around, but per usual can't exactly settle on one.  If nothing else, i have a week to figure it out.

Well first thing I'm doing today at RIW is playing a scenario set up by my friend, but after that I'm up for any kind of shenanigans we can come up with. It's my last week before I move away to school so I plan on making it count.

FYI, as we discussed last night, I'm going to have to delay the start of the Galactic Campaign by a few weeks due to 1) my stay in Canada being extended, and 2) the store's relocation being delayed.  I don't want to start the campaign until the store moves into the new location and there's plenty of space and tables to run it successfully.

If you guys didn't catch it in the Dayton, OH Regional thread, the date for this event is now: 30-May

No regional for me this year.  Whoever goes down there, good luck!  Represent the mitten well...

If you guys didn't catch it in the Dayton, OH Regional thread, the date for this event is now: 30-May

Boo, I have something else going on that day.  Looks like I'm going to Toronto instead...

Anybody want to go to Toronto with me?

Edited by mlbrogueone

I'm for sure heading to the OH and PA regionals (do a google map search on it - it's pretty much the same distance as Canada, but doesn't suck).  If I'm stuck up in Toronto for work over that weekend, I'm for sure going to the Canadian one as well... but I am *NOT* making a special trip to this god forsaken place to play X wing.

For the OH, I'm going to go down Friday night and grab a campsite for Fri and Sat.  For the PA one, I'm going to stay at my family's place Fri/Sat nights.

...god forsaken place...

Well it didn't seem that bad last year, but that was Hamilton and not Toronto, and I come from a more rural back ground than some so maybe I'm just used to "god forsaken."   ;)

Then again I haven't played anywhere besides the greater Michigan area or Hamilton, ON.  

Also, I suppose the most obnoxious opponent I've had was in Canada, but the other 3 or 4 guys were cool.

Do the X-wing tournaments in Ohio come with better amenities, you know like free pizza, free drinks, life size fully functional R2-D2 to the winner, waitresses (or waiters depending on your preference) in Princess Leia outfits?   :D

...god forsaken place...

Well it didn't seem that bad last year, but that was Hamilton and not Toronto, and I come from a more rural back ground than some so maybe I'm just used to "god forsaken."   ;)

Then again I haven't played anywhere besides the greater Michigan area or Hamilton, ON.  

Also, I suppose the most obnoxious opponent I've had was in Canada, but the other 3 or 4 guys were cool.

Do the X-wing tournaments in Ohio come with better amenities, you know like free pizza, free drinks, life size fully functional R2-D2 to the winner, waitresses (or waiters depending on your preference) in Princess Leia outfits?   :D

You also haven't been stuck in Canada for an eternity... And my exit date just keeps getting pushed back.  I'll probably still be up here in May for the Regional even though I was supposed to be out in February.    

You also haven't been stuck in Canada for an eternity... And my exit date just keeps getting pushed back.  I'll probably still be up here in May for the Regional even though I was supposed to be out in February.    

Touche, having to live so far away for weeks at a time has got to be very rough.  If it was me I wouldn't be excited either.  

Edited by mlbrogueone

Hey Johdo, just thought I'd let you know that the old Green w/ PTL vs. 3 Scimitar victory I pulled off last year finally got surpassed.  Tycho (with 2 hull) just pulled off the win against 4 APs (1 hull missing total), HowlRunner (2 hull), and a Scimitar (4 hull).  And it only took 47 stress!

Hey Johdo, just thought I'd let you know that the old Green w/ PTL vs. 3 Scimitar victory I pulled off last year finally got surpassed.  Tycho (with 2 hull) just pulled off the win against 4 APs (1 hull missing total), HowlRunner (2 hull), and a Scimitar (4 hull).  And it only took 47 stress!

Bravo sir...  well done!

Okay, I'm thinking about running a sort of trial run for the Galactic Campaign on Thursday at RIW.  I want to try out the galactic point values of planets, to make sure that they're priced appropriately (don't want it to be too high so those with the largest physical fleet have an advantage, but don't want it to be too low such that it take 10 turns to do anything).  I also want to test out the size of which the galactic map will need to be printed out.  I plan on just printing it out on 8.5 x 11 for this week before I order it from BannersOnTheCheap for the real thing.

Thanks for all of you guys that showed up to help try out the beta of the Galactic Campaign last night. It was a very successful test run, with quite a bit of comments on how to run it smoother next go around. I've updated the website (RIWXwing.weebly.com) with the changed we made last night, as well as an official start date, May 14th!

Edit: to prevent a triple post, just thought I'd let everyone know that I've made the final revision of the rules for the beta test tomorrow night if you want to give them a once over prior to showing up.  

Edited by Khyros