Sign in to follow this  
richsabre

BLACK RIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!  Campaign mode will be great, we will actually be able to relive the books step by step.

I hope they release at GENCON…a mad rush to the FFG booth again Thursday morning!

Pharmboys2013 said:

legolas18 said:

That's true, tactics will be hard to fit in with the hobbits.  They might not have any of the hobbit heroes as tactics, but maybe give tactics a few extra player cards? And whoever said that Rosie might be a hero, I agree. It would be a bit hard, but none of the hobbits were real fighters anyway. I can see her being a low stat hero but having a really good ability.  (Well, now that I think about it, that's how most of the hobbits are…)  How do you think they'll make Sam? Any thoughts on what his stats/ability will be?

Completely random guess on Sam:

Sphere: Spirit

3 will power

1 atk/def

2 HP

logic:  Sam was nothing if not extremely loyal Frodo and their quest  to destroy the ring.  Even in the worst of cirucmstances he followed through with what needed done (even if he may have complained a bit a long the way) for this reason i'm giving him 3 will power and garbage for the rest of his stats

Ability: not even worth a specific guess because its not like id be correct, but thematically it would make sense if he did something to boost or even just assist other characters

I think your stats look about right and I would suggest his ability be: “Choose and ready one character per round.”

maybe sam could take on any wounds that were meant for frodo, so he would be like a shield for him.

seeing as you lose the game when you lose the ring-bearer, that might be a handy skill to have.

but he wouldnt be much use for any quests outside of the saga expansion, though

Cunir said:

maybe sam could take on any wounds that were meant for frodo, so he would be like a shield for him.

seeing as you lose the game when you lose the ring-bearer, that might be a handy skill to have.

No, he would if you paired him up with Spirit Frodo Baggins.

lleimmoen said:

Cunir said:

I think that would be a shame because then Sam’s utility in the game would be based on the presence of Frodo. That would be lame, but still a possibility. I believe Pippin’s ability is only good in an all-Hobbit deck, so Sam and the other hobbits might be similar. However, I like it better when the Hobbits have abilities that are more general such as with Frodo and Bilbo, as they allow you to be more flexible in deck building.

Samwise Gamgee said:

lleimmoen said:

Cunir said:

I think that would be a shame because then Sam’s utility in the game would be based on the presence of Frodo. That would be lame, but still a possibility. I believe Pippin’s ability is only good in an all-Hobbit deck, so Sam and the other hobbits might be similar. However, I like it better when the Hobbits have abilities that are more general such as with Frodo and Bilbo, as they allow you to be more flexible in deck building.

[/quote

I think Sam should have an ability that works with Frodo. I don't really think Sam is a functional character alone (he exists at his best, in support of Frodo,and all that is good about his character comes out of that service).

Rapier said:

I think Sam should have an ability that works with Frodo. I don't really think Sam is a functional character alone (he exists at his best, in support of Frodo,and all that is good about his character comes out of that service).

For the purposes of a pure lore approach, that would perhaps be nice.  For the broader purposes of a game platform?  I think we are still too early in the life-cycle of this game to dedicate a hero (who has had no other version in the game) to such a "can only use this way" purpose…

I woul dlove to see that Sam has a dedicated "bonus" for being paired with Frodo (or perhaps even other Hobbits), but should also be able to function away from him with other heroes.  Perhaps something related to his curiosity with the elves as well?

sam showed initiative and courage when alone after the encounter with shelob so i do not think he should have a frodo only use (though an ability that targets frodo would be great)

he was also a ringbearer remember - so that puts him in a rather exclusive position for some decent stats….certainly willpower

rich

richsabre said:

sam showed initiative and courage when alone after the encounter with shelob so i do not think he should have a frodo only use (though an ability that targets frodo would be great)

he was also a ringbearer remember - so that puts him in a rather exclusive position for some decent stats….certainly willpower

rich

Great points.  Equally as impressive, was his one-man assualt on the Cirith Ungol fortress to reclaim Frodo.  Can you imagine navigating your way through Minus Morgal and then Cirith Ungol on the footstep of Mordor?  Unbelievable act of courage.

richsabre said:

rich

And to further that point, it also puts him in the obvious position of bearing the ring on this game!

Gunny_J said:

Great points.  Equally as impressive, was his one-man assualt on the Cirith Ungol fortress to reclaim Frodo.  Can you imagine navigating your way through Minus Morgal and then Cirith Ungol on the footstep of Mordor?  Unbelievable act of courage.

Do I hear suggestions and implications of a one-man Secrecy deck?!?!  burla

That would be awesome!

maybe they could do an amusing one like searching your deck for cram and adding it to your hand, or returning it to your hand from the discard pile… he always seemed to be in charge of the food in the movies

i want to see a card like 'bolger's cloak' which allows a character to place damage that would go on them onto any other character and then discard the cloak (the crickhollow scene is perhaps my favourite of all the scenes from the books)

rich

I didn't specify that the ability had to work with only Frodo.

For example if Sam had;

Reduce your threat by one whenever another hero is the target of an attack - that would be a useful ability to have in any game, however it would be even better with Frodo (who turns attacks which deal damage into threat).

Thematically it would reprsent Sam keeping everyone's spirits up when the going is getting to it's toughest.

However I personally think that this game is already putting in heroes that are heaviliy dependant on only other cards, and that a stronger (frodo only) ability wouldn't be out of place either. Pippin for example, more or less relies on only taking him with Hobbits.

The new outlands hero likewise, only works at all in an outlands deck (which is also so amazing that if you ever include him, you're essentially commiitting to "the" outlands strategy).

Although I don't like the forced outlands theme (because it's too strong, and too inflexibile) I am looking forward to the hobbit theme - and honestly I don't think Sam having to be taken with Frodo is appreciabily more restrictive than say, Dain forcing you into the dwarf theme. Especially if Sam is designed to work withthe Frodo that we get in the Black Riders (Since he comes from that set).

If you prefer however, Sam could have a similar ability to Pippin - one that works when you only control Hobbit heroes (Which is still themetically accurate, at all stages of the story, since the hobbits always stuck together when they could and drew strength from their kinship). This wouldn't be any different from a dwarf theme, and in fact would be pretty similar to how the dwarfs were done (With some working outside the theme, the way Frodo and Bilbo do, and some working only in the theme, such as Dain or any dwarf hero with a rule about controlling 5 dwarfs).

This game really needs to focus on other themes (Besides dwarf) to help control deck building and allow continued card development - "Hobbit" is clearly the next big one (getting some love in the gondor cycle in the form of pippin, as well as being the obvious focus for the start of the next saga expansions). Hobbit will probably outstrip Gondor by the time Black Riders is out. We already know (based on spoiled cards and pack one) that while the current cycle is set in Gondor, it doesn't exclusively support that theme. (for example we have a hobbit, an outlands and a rohan hero spoiled… to go with two gondor heros from the deluex expansion).

I think that the hobbit theme will expand rapidly and will require some of the heroes in black rider to be hobbit theme focused. (I'm expecting a second version of Pippin in the box, maybe he won't be hobbit only, if that is the only Sam hero we get, he definitely should be hobbit rather than generic focused).

Although a generic Sam that can search for food items is a great idea (it requires a lot more "food" in the game).

Rapier said:

We already know (based on spoiled cards and pack one) that while the current cycle is set in Gondor, it doesn't exclusively support that theme. (for example we have a hobbit, an outlands and a rohan hero spoiled… to go with two gondor heros from the deluex expansion).

Heroes released during the cycle mean nothing. Do you remember the Dwarrowdelf heroes? Elladan, Elrohir, Aragorn, Háma, Glorfindel, Elrond - no dwarf at all. However I agree that this cycle didn't support Gondor much so far. When counting that one of the upcoming APs will enhance Outlands even more as has been stated in the preview, all I can say about this cycle is meh.

klaymen_sk said:

Rapier said:

We already know (based on spoiled cards and pack one) that while the current cycle is set in Gondor, it doesn't exclusively support that theme. (for example we have a hobbit, an outlands and a rohan hero spoiled… to go with two gondor heros from the deluex expansion).

Heroes released during the cycle mean nothing. Do you remember the Dwarrowdelf heroes? Elladan, Elrohir, Aragorn, Háma, Glorfindel, Elrond - no dwarf at all. However I agree that this cycle didn't support Gondor much so far. When counting that one of the upcoming APs will enhance Outlands even more as has been stated in the preview, all I can say about this cycle is meh.

100% agree. Only deluxe or Saga expansion have fit heroes to scenarios.

Well, the cards released so far also have a split across what they support.

Also I wouldn't have said Dwarrowelf was a dwarf expansion cycle particularly - the dwarfs got good cards for sure, but so did other teams. Dwarfs really got their love in the hobbit saga expansions though (hence they now have a massive % of the card pool).