Sign in to follow this  
gmanjkd

What are your opinions of The Edge of Night

Hi all, sorry if the answer to my question is already posted, i did a search but didn't find anything.  I'm about to finish the Winds of Change and plan to run The Edge of Night.  Does the adventure require a lot of prep work, fleshing out by the GM etc?  I've read over it a few months back, seamed great but that doesn't always mean the play experience will be good.  What has been your experience with this adventure?  Is this a challenging adventure to run?  I am new to published adventure and really want to run it but am concerned that I may not be up to the challenge yet.

Thanks

Gary

Sorry Gary I've not run it yet.  My only opinion on it is that the PCs hob-nob with nobles so they probably had not be the complete scum of the earth..hence, maybe better for a 2nd career crew.

jh

"Murder," announced Proctor Marple, the man appointed to maintain the law of the Citadel of Palesandre, "a murder most cruel", he declared to the stunned nobles, there assembled in the dead King's chamber. "But how was this ghastly deed done?" asked Finnorlay, the King's Privy Councillor.

"Felled by a poisoned cod-piece as he dressed for dinner," Marple replied, brandishing the offending garment high in the air.
~Warhammer - Bloodbath at Orc's Drift

We playtested it several years ago and it still remains my favourite adventure written by FFG.

There is some combat at the end but it is mostly social stuff and social climbing which made it really interesting. It really gives players who are not complete combat freaks a chance to shine and think beyond the normal.

It is also an adventure where the Perform a Maneuvre card can get a lot of use. It also gives players a chance to immerse themselves in the town of Ubersreik which is also fun.

To give you an idea about how off the wall it can get, imagine a hardened dwarf mercenary at a costume ball wearing a skink costume, and with his sword hidden in the costume's tail. It will also mean that the Ironbreaker will have to leave his gromril armour at his lodgings. The Trollslayer will have to use his fists if he wants to get into a fight, unless he gets very creative about hiding his weapons.

I thoroughly recommend it.

I have mixed views, then again I'm fussy and have mixed views of most things.  I had fun running it as "Masquerate:  the Young and the Restless".

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=165&efcid=46&efidt=460642

The basic set piece at its centre is great fun to gear up to.  Practically everything around it needs a bit of work.

The run up to it in particular can require lots of work to make fit for a particular group without being railroady (I prefer a cooperative railroad - here is the route, doesn't it look nice) and I found the various events in the early bit need needed work.  I rewrote how it fit together sort of how I rewrote the Enemy Within garden party bit (the basic material is used but restructure how it flows and make it more natural for PC's to interact).

For example, the lead in often has "pcs get this making that roll" but there is no reason for PC's to try the roll at times.

Many of my tweaks are noted in italics in the play report above.

Eg.

I found the “lead in” to the ball very weak and it required a fair bit of GM work to line up how it would work. Part of that was dissatisfaction with the way the rumours were set up. I revised the rumours so in each case there is "free information" that comes out starting it and giving heroes a reason to make inquiries and "roll dice" rather than "rolling dice out of blue".

I thought it was great, very similar to "Power Behind the Throne", but should have been released after the "Lure of Power". Well, now advantage goes to you! 
It is not for new GMs or for player who like to constantly battle. I found it to be very mature and satisfying to run though you will need to flesh it out alot and make it your own,

I thought it was great, very similar to "Power Behind the Throne", but should have been released after the "Lure of Power". Well, now advantage goes to you! 
It is not for new GMs or for player who like to constantly battle. I found it to be very mature and satisfying to run though you will need to flesh it out alot and make it your own,

Considering it was written by the old guard of Warhammer, I wonder if isn't just something that came over in a box with all the other nearly-completed stuff like Tomb of Thieves, Career Compendium, Shades of Empire and the like.  Tomb of Thieves, of course having been announced by FFG but never released…

jh

Thanks all!  I think I will push this adventure back until I have time to spend making the necessary adjustments so that I can do it justice.  Thanks again for all of the help.

Gary

Emirikol said:

Considering it was written by the old guard of Warhammer, I wonder if isn't just something that came over in a box with all the other nearly-completed stuff like Tomb of Thieves, Career Compendium, Shades of Empire and the like.  Tomb of Thieves, of course having been announced by FFG but never released…

jh

I don't know, to be honest. I had some (non-WFRP related)  issues with Green Ronin that came up a little after Ashes of Middenheim was published so I was out of the loop for a while. I got a fairly detailed brief from FFG for the adventure (right down to the title), which may have been all new from Jay or it might have been something GR/BI was planning. I never saw anything that suggested one way or the other.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words about EoN. I've read some negative comments about it and it's very nice to know that you all enjoyed it.

Than you for all of your great work Graeme!!  While I have not ran it yet I did read it cover to cover like a novel over the course of 3 days.  I loved it and hope to see more adventures or better yet campagns from you for wfrp.  

Thabks again

Gary

I have to say that EoN can be difficult (the least) for the GM to prepare, especially to hook the PCs in. But believe me, once you are there it is with no doubt one of the best scenarios published for the 3rd edition. It is indeed an old-school scenario, non-liniear, full of conspiracy, threats, and with good oportunities for the players to shine in role playing their characters.

Cheers,

Yepes

gmanjkd said:

Than you for all of your great work Graeme!!  While I have not ran it yet I did read it cover to cover like a novel over the course of 3 days.  I loved it and hope to see more adventures or better yet campagns from you for wfrp.  

Thabks again

Gary

This should have said thanks for all of your hard work, and that I read TEW cover to cover over 3 days, and would love to see more adventures like it from Graeme.  DOH!  This is why I shouldn't post when I am half asleep :-). In any case, I love your work Graeme and hope to see lots more.

Thanks, Gary

=== SPOILERS AHEAD ====

I am in the middle of it atm, but my PCs dont really wanna get involved in the story around the liege-lord question.

I replaced the Grunewald Lodge Adventure with the Hunt of the Famine Demon from Hugeldal since some of my PCs already knew the "Eye for an Eye" adventure from an other GM. They aided Aschaffenberg to kill the demon.

Now they retrieved their items, by boat, from Tempest Knap since they didnt stop the wizard from Stromdorf. Ubersreick

resides now next to a new lake ;)

Perhaps they will be more interested since they found out about the rumor that a little beastman tried to poison the beer which is going to be used for the masquarede ball.

We ran a heavily modified version of TEoN, and have finished it. It was very frustrating but fun at the same time. A million side quests did troll us a bit, but we had fun running them. It ended pretty badly though, because...

[spoilerS]

When the Skaven attacked, our GM rolled a purple die for every person in the house when the warp dust bombing begins, and on a Chaos Star, they were dead. He essentially used the rules for Poison Wind Globadiers, so the stuff they used was incredibly dangerous. Problem was that myself, and 2 other members of our party wanted Holzenauer to win, and we had spent a large portion of the banquet pimping him out to the NPC's (succesfully) and obviously...chaos star....dead.

I got the bright idea (pun intended) to ask our HE Priestess of Isha to try to Perform a Stunt to save him just as he's about to die, and it worked, so now he's currently recuperating in Herr Krupp's care. For a while there, however, we were really down cause we had really worked towards him being elected, and it just seemed a bit random and crappy that he'd die like that.

The masquerade itself was fun, and I enjoyed myself a lot, even when I failed my Fellowship checks, just the image of my character Intimidating (successfully) Engel to stop f***ing about while wearing a red dragon outfit + mask was awesome in my mind. 

Unfortunately, our more "come on man, I came here to kill things, not talk to people" players got bored fast, and after a lot of frustrating complaints, our GM cut the masquerade short and jumped to the ending (I think around the 9:30 mark).

It sucked cause like I said, I was having a ton of fun, plus he had edited a bunch of stuff and had put a lot of effort into the entire masquerade thing, but in the end, the entire experience just became a sour ordeal for both myself and him. I guess that's less the fault of the adventure though, and more that of the players.

=== SPOILERS AHEAD ====

I am in the middle of it atm, but my PCs dont really wanna get involved in the story around the liege-lord question.

I replaced the Grunewald Lodge Adventure with the Hunt of the Famine Demon from Hugeldal since some of my PCs already knew the "Eye for an Eye" adventure from an other GM. They aided Aschaffenberg to kill the demon.

Now they retrieved their items, by boat, from Tempest Knap since they didnt stop the wizard from Stromdorf. Ubersreick

resides now next to a new lake ;)

Perhaps they will be more interested since they found out about the rumor that a little beastman tried to poison the beer which is going to be used for the masquarede ball.

It's the politics that make the adventure work.  If you players aren't interested in affecting political events, then they're not going to have a fun time at the ball unless you modify the adventure heavily.

===SPOILERS===

While I haven't run Edge of Night, I did find it very useful for The Enemy Within. Both have a big scene at a noble's party, followed by chasing Skaven into their lair. Strong parallels meant it was easy to steal things from one for use with the other. Edge of Night has a much more involved lair battle, which allowed me to scale up the rats in Enemy Within to match the 3 heavy hitters in my party.