Sign in to follow this  
ironmorgan2

Help Making a Character

Hi there, I have been reading and re-reading the character creation sections in the Core book, and yet I still can't make heads or tales of how to make a simple character.  I have found most RPG's to be this way, splitting up the character creation process among different chapters confusing most everyone. ^_^  I'm not new at all to RPG's, I have been playing since '89, but I just am baffled by the process in Anima.  If anyone can 'hold my hand' through thisI would appreciate it.  Thanks! ^_^

Character Creation in Anima is complex. It is complex because of the many options available to PCs in the game. As an example of a simple character I will look at one of the easiest characters to do: a human Warrior. (this is what I do for low level opposition NPCs) The character will be maximised for combat effectiveness, power gamer style.

1.Generate your characteristics. Use method 1 don't forget to dump the low roll for a 9.

2. Pick your Class now, as it determines everything you will choose in character generation. For this it is Warrior

3. Assign Characteristics. For a warrior max out Dex Str Agl and Con in that order. Mental characteristics are less important but it is always good for a Warrior to have high numbers in the Ki Stats (Str,Agl,Dex,Con,Wp &Pow). Per is also a good choice.

4. You have 600 Development Points to expend. Looking at a warrior you have limits of 60% Combat, 50% Supernatural and 50% Psychic. This works out to 360 points for combat and 240 for any thing else. Supernatural and Psychic can be ignored for the warrior as they are irrelevant.

5. 360 points for combat can be looked at in the following way. Maximum for direct combat abilities is 50% of total (300 points) so the breakdown for a balanced warrior is 150DP for Attack and 150DP for either Block or Dodge depending on your concept of character. If you go with Block for the warrior it is possible to spend 174 on attack and 126 on block and ensure you get a shield. The 1st option gets Attack 75 Block 75, the second gets Attack 92+DEX mod Block 88+DEX mod( 63 plus 20 for a shield + 5 for Warrior) These are as good as it is possible to get and remain remain within 50 attack vs block as required by the rules. This leaves 60 points for wear armor and combat modules. The most efficent is to get the Different Type module for 20DP and pick the most damaging one hand weapon possible (Bastard sword of battleaxe for slow initiative, Broadsword for medium Initiative and Sabre for fast initiative.) Take shield for second weapon. 40 in Wear Armor finishes the 360DP combat allocation. This gives a wear armor of 35 (20 for DP, 10 for STR bonus and 5 for Warrior class bonus). This Allows chainmail for a penalty of -10 or Studded leather for no penalty.

6. 240 DP for every thing else. The Warrior class has a life point threshold of 15. So you could spend 90DP and add 6 x CON score to Life point total. This leaves150DP for Secondary Abilites. Ignoring Intellectual for its high cost this gives you 75 percentiles to allocate to what ever you want. ( Remembering that you get 1 for 1 in feats of strength)

7. The last thing to consider is Creation Points. Always take your three disadvantages. this probably gives you 6 CP. Good ones for a Warrior are Danger sense for 2 DP (you won't be surprised very often), Starting Wealth 2 (5000GC get superior weapons and armor) and regeneration 2 (increase base regeneration by 4 and heal much quicker). If you pick your CP before DP allocation you may choose to take Martial mastery and try out KI powers. You will need to loose some basic attack and block points to boost KI power. This can be a good trade off as KI powers can be devastating.

8. Fill out your character sheet with what you have spent and play.

Other easier characters are any of the "pure" classes, ie a class that concentrates on one aspect of the game. By archetype they are:

Fighter: Warrior, Acrobatic Warrior, Weaponsmaster

Prowler: Thief, Assasin

Mystic: Wizard

Psychic: Mentalist

Personal Favorite: Warlock

Personal Hate: Freelancer

Maybe this will help you.

Browse on the website if you want some documents to help you through Anima. My english version of the site isn't as full as the french one, but there are some interesting things.

Everyone, remember, if you register, you can submit your own documents for upload, if you want my website to be better for english speakers ^^

Thank you so much for your help! I could actually understand the 'how' of making a character finally. ^_^  Thanks so much again!  I look forward to expanding my knowledge into the more complex character classes very soon.

I usually do CP after choosing Class and before everything else.  If I'm playing a magician or psychic, it ensures I don't accidentally forget to get the Gift or Access I want for the character.

Tools, I do not know if any one has created a program to create charecters for anime yet.  If you find one though link it.

Tips however, sure.

1: if your new, stick to pure classes.

2: do CP, AFTER you pick a class, so that if you want to play a KI user you pick stuff like, Martial Mastary, etc..Wizard pick gift, Psyon pick acess to psyonics.

3: if your a KI user dont spend all your DP up front, create your KI Technique BEFORE you spend your DP on physical things like attack / defend.  This way you will be able to put points into KI accumilation and KI pool to use your techniuqe, rather than having to erase and redo your previous caclucations.

4: Take into account some of the fun rules anima offers, such as "put a weapons point", or "Area Attack", as you can easily create very powerful charecters off of these rules.  The same goes for ranged combat, there is a penetly to defending against ranged attacks.

5: Play a Summoner. (JK lols).  If you have no idea what you want to do, play a summoner, because you can summon anything you can think of!!!  If you need a tank, summon a giant stone demon tortus!! if you need magic, summon a demonic priest (or something...elemental yeah that.).  Just make sure that when ever you create you have a reasonable chance of summoning and controling.  and a note to the GM, you should not let your summoner summon anything they want anytime they want.  Summoners should know mabye 1 or 2 creatues to be able to summon off the bat, and each level if they put time into reserching it, should be able to aquire a new summon each level.  This generally goes with the level of the summon.  If the summoner in my group wanted to learn a new lv3 summon when he turned level 2, i would allow him to start reserching it.  however if he wanted to learn 2 level 1 summons, I would probally allow that as well.  These are just practical rules, they are not part of the game itself.   But I think its an effective way to prevent a summoner from being the most OP SOB in the game, cause if they could know in infinate number of summons, they would summon something specificly designed to counter w/e the GM tosses at them, and that is just unrealistic.

So I am trying to make my first character and lear the system.  I would like to have an idea for how to buil a basic haracter wich has bin very well set up here. and I think I get te genrle idea.  Were I run into trouble is MK and martail knowladge trait spots on the character sheet. some of the arangmet of things on the sheet I dont realy know when I am makeing things were to go.  and how you get psychic KI Magic and summons. 

how do you buy spells and KI and summons and all of that. do you spen the points you have like if yo have a base of 30 martail knowladge and get say +30 from martail arts  do you have 60 points to buy KI abiltie with (of course you have to buy he first two to use any) or do you get all KI thingsith a rateing of  <60.  

same with magic and psyonics. ho do yo determine your base for these traits.  are the influenced by stats. how much does itcost in DP to raise the base. do any stats count towars them.  

I'm pretty good with games and hav run alot of games and madealot of characters but I just feel a littl lost trying to fin my wa through the system.  and I have to elarn it well enough to run it for my friens and guide them through character creation.

Luced said:

So I am trying to make my first character and lear the system.  I would like to have an idea for how to buil a basic haracter wich has bin very well set up here. and I think I get te genrle idea.  Were I run into trouble is MK and martail knowladge trait spots on the character sheet. some of the arangmet of things on the sheet I dont realy know when I am makeing things were to go.  and how you get psychic KI Magic and summons. 

how do you buy spells and KI and summons and all of that. do you spen the points you have like if yo have a base of 30 martail knowladge and get say +30 from martail arts  do you have 60 points to buy KI abiltie with (of course you have to buy he first two to use any) or do you get all KI thingsith a rateing of  <60.  

same with magic and psyonics. ho do yo determine your base for these traits.  are the influenced by stats. how much does itcost in DP to raise the base. do any stats count towars them.  

I'm pretty good with games and hav run alot of games and madealot of characters but I just feel a littl lost trying to fin my wa through the system.  and I have to elarn it well enough to run it for my friens and guide them through character creation.

It will help if you unpack all that. What abilities are you looking at? Ki, Psychic or Magic? Each works differently so lets just focus on the one you are focussing on.

Well, in the KI section it does state at the begining how much ki you start with and how much ki accumilation you have based on your stats.  First off you have ki points per stat equal to the stat it self, so if your con is 8 you have 8 points of con ki.  Accumilation is 1 for all states below 10, and 2 for stats higher than 10, (and 3 for something else, didnt memorize that one cause no charecter can start the game with 3 points of BASE ki accumilation in any stat).  Any way, for martial knowledge is something you get per level based on your class.  At the top it should say something like, MK per level, +20, or +25.  So a level one fighter would have 25 martial knowledge.  Level one summoner would have 10 martial knowledge, etc....If you pick a martial art, you just add that MK bouns to the MK you already have.

For psyonics, you get innate PP per level, ounce again based on your class.  The other things that influcence psyonics are psyonic potential which is in that chapter of the book and is directly based on your willpower stat.  You can increase this with PP (although it gets VERY expensive), they want you to specialize in psyonics skills since its cheaper PP wise to increase individual powers as opposed to your overall psyonic potential.

Magic, is simlar, your max magic level is based on your power stat, found in a table in the magic chapter.  Also your based MA is found in the magic chapter also based on a stat.  The book says that GMs should allow charecters to start at half there magic potential and let them increase as the game progresses.  The idea was that players have 2 spells or so a level until they reach there top magic level.  Also there is another TABLE, in the magic chapter that tells you what level spells are and based on that how much it costs from your magic level to purchace.

Sorry but it dose not seem like you really read the chapters.  All of this information is in the begining of each section, KI, Magic, Psyonics respectivly.  This is not a book you can skill around in, and hope youll pick up on it.  You have to really sit down and read each chapter like a book, front to back in order to grasp the extent of it.  As for summoning, there arnt any real hard defined rules for it.  Basicly you create a creature you think you can summon with your abilies, and you roll the dice to see if you summon it.  Now a good GM will make a summoner work for his more elaborate summons for sure, but as a whole summoners can create and put just about anything they want for any given circumstance.

oay let me be more specific sorry. I kinda assumed I was running into issues tha were gonna e pretty common.

KI  -  so Classe dtermins te base MK with you have confirmed that you do add the martial arts mk to that total now once this is all totaled is there a wa to buy more mk with creation points or deelopment points? Also once is all said and done from what I can tell you "spend" your mk to buy ki abileslik use KI or any of thecustome made KI abilties. isthis corect or do you spend development points to buy these ailties?

Ki acumulation  - so I get that youhave the acumalation stat and the ki stat.  so if Ihave a con of 8 I have a con accumulation of 1 and con ki of 8. now I can spend dp to raise the acumulation or the ki stat from hat I unerstand. so lets say  have a con accumultion o 2 and a con ki of 10.  do I hve 10 con ki points available to me t0 spend at any time as genrle ki  (add all stat ki toether fr a total like  gnric mna pool aailable anytime) and regenarae that at te X pr hour rate. or can I spend the 1 con ki at any ime as a pool of con ki for the purpose of stat specific Ki requirments - a skill requires I spend 5 con ki I have 10 so I spend the 5 and recover them at X rate per hour.   Or does it work like I have a con KI accumulation of 2 and a con ki of 10 so I can gather 2 con ki per turn up to a max of 10  and once I have pent 10 i have no more. So if I need o spend 5 I pend 3 turns accumulatong ki t get 6 con ki spend 5 andloose the 1 to the eather so now I can only spend 4 more Con ki intill my max egenrates at a rate of X per hour.

Magic and psychic abiltie seem o work simalrly but I wasjust curious if yu buy the spell and psycich abilties with you psychhc potentail and Magic stat like ki abilies or with development points.

Summons  - okay so what I am trying to figure out is is do players make there summons useing the monster/npc builder andthan determing how much effort thy need to expend in order to summon said  creator, or do they summon the Tarot creatures (wich seemed alittle vague) or what seems msot likley and that the summon knows how to ummon certain tcreatures based on the idea of th tarot card stats.  like MR summoner has the summon the Justice they summon a creature built useing the creture creation rules that gets a secail abilty (the justice power) and costs the amount as justice and that sets the diffaculty to summon.    Or are the arcanna just example summons.  oran example tree of summons Like players or gms could make there own trees (Like Constaletion summons or the Elementle summons or animle summons) and the player learns a tree of summon like a tree of magic.

I hopethis clarifies.

Don't take it the wrong way but I find your post to be incredibly hard to read and understand. You are running many concepts together and it is often unclear what you are asking. This may impact my responses.

Luced said:

KI  -  so Classe dtermins te base MK with you have confirmed that you do add the martial arts mk to that total now once this is all totaled is there a wa to buy more mk with creation points or deelopment points? Also once is all said and done from what I can tell you "spend" your mk to buy ki abileslik use KI or any of thecustome made KI abilties. isthis corect or do you spend development points to buy these ailties?

MK can be increased at character creation with CPs. In fact, if you play a Tao or Technician, its practically a must to do so. You then use MK to buy Ki Abilities and Skills.

Luced said:

Ki acumulation  - so I get that youhave the acumalation stat and the ki stat.  so if Ihave a con of 8 I have a con accumulation of 1 and con ki of 8. now I can spend dp to raise the acumulation or the ki stat from hat I unerstand. so lets say  have a con accumultion o 2 and a con ki of 10.  do I hve 10 con ki points available to me t0 spend at any time as genrle ki  (add all stat ki toether fr a total like  gnric mna pool aailable anytime) and regenarae that at te X pr hour rate. or can I spend the 1 con ki at any ime as a pool of con ki for the purpose of stat specific Ki requirments - a skill requires I spend 5 con ki I have 10 so I spend the 5 and recover them at X rate per hour.   Or does it work like I have a con KI accumulation of 2 and a con ki of 10 so I can gather 2 con ki per turn up to a max of 10  and once I have pent 10 i have no more. So if I need o spend 5 I pend 3 turns accumulatong ki t get 6 con ki spend 5 andloose the 1 to the eather so now I can only spend 4 more Con ki intill my max egenrates at a rate of X per hour.

I found that paragraph very difficult to follow. Ki Accumulation (like Zeon Accumulation) determines how much of your total Ki or Zeon you can accumlate for use each round. So if you have a Zeon of 210 and a MA of 20, you can access 20 in round 1. If these aren't spent, you can add another 20 in round 2 allowing you to cast spells that cost 40 points.

For Ki, you have a Ki total based on your stat i.e. Con 8. You can accumulate an amount each round. In the above example that's 1 Ki per round. If you increase your multiple, it increases that to 2 and so on.

It is also worth noting that Accumulations are generally halved unless you are doing nothing but accumulate. As such, power builds slowly in Anima until you are at higher levels.

Luced said:

Magic and psychic abiltie seem o work simalrly but I wasjust curious if yu buy the spell and psycich abilties with you psychhc potentail and Magic stat like ki abilies or with development points.

You buy spells with your Magic Level. FWIW this only increases with Intelligence. As such, you can't buy more spells in any manner like DPs. Psychic Abilities have their own system using Psychic Points, those these can be purchased with DPs.

Luced said:

Summons  - okay so what I am trying to figure out is is do players make there summons useing the monster/npc builder andthan determing how much effort thy need to expend in order to summon said  creator, or do they summon the Tarot creatures (wich seemed alittle vague) or what seems msot likley and that the summon knows how to ummon certain tcreatures based on the idea of th tarot card stats.  like MR summoner has the summon the Justice they summon a creature built useing the creture creation rules that gets a secail abilty (the justice power) and costs the amount as justice and that sets the diffaculty to summon.    Or are the arcanna just example summons.  oran example tree of summons Like players or gms could make there own trees (Like Constaletion summons or the Elementle summons or animle summons) and the player learns a tree of summon like a tree of magic.

Summoning is broken into 2 seperate disciplines - normal summoning and the Arcana aspect. They both work very differently.

For normal summoning you create your creature under the creation system and determine the difficulty to summon them.

Arcana use is more like prayer. You can use your summon ability to gain special Arcana abilities at the listed difficulty.

Ok a quick question then.. I was reading in the book about the primary and secondary abilities. And it gives and example in  the book about how Celia's player spends 100 dp on Acrobatics and gets a base of 50 for acrobatics. So for secondary abilities however much dp you spend on them you divide it in half or what? Further more is the same type of thing for primary abilities?

yes, each class gives you the cost in DP to get 1 rank in the skill (see p12, Calculating and distributing points)

As an example, a paladin (p34) pays 2 DP to improve his Athletics, Perceptive, Intellectual, Creative & Vigor (note that he has a reduced cost on Whistand Pain) skills by 1. He pays 3 dp for 1 point in Subterfuge skills, and 1 DP for 1 point in Social skills.

Ok not sure if this has been asked before but gonna ask anyways:

Question, ok everyone here has looked over the frelancer class i hope, The secondary innate bonus, which to quote from the book says, "+10 to five different abilities per level?"

1) Does this include primary abilities? Or does it only apply to secondary abilities?

Second of all the special of the freelancer, only paying 20 dp to change class

Does this mean that a fighter wanting to change to a freelancer only have to pay 20 dp to do so, or does the fighter still have to wait two levels then pay 20 dp or just wait the two levels?

It's not "Free" as in "you don't have to pay". Rather as in "you are no more forbidden / restricted"

No advantage = you can't acces psy disciplines
Acces to one discipline = you are restricted to only one
Access to all discipline = you can acces them all

Guys my question is patetic but ill have to make it ={ I don't understand how many spell a character of lvl 1 is able to get... If he spends his Magic Level in only one path, how many spells he gets to learn on lv1?

Sorry. If anyone could help me ill be very happy :P

You gain magic levels based on your Intelligence (see table 56).

When you invest those in a path, you learn all the spells of that path up to the level you reached.
(It's up to the GM to tell you how long you need to train, through).

Let's say you have 40 magic levels to spend, and you invest 30 in Light path and 10 in Creation path, you will :
 - know every Light spell of level 0 -> 30 (from "create light" to "control light")
 - know every Creation spell of level 0 -> 10 (from "minor creation" to "regeneration")

If you later increase your intelligence and gain 10 more magic levels, you can learn a new path, or increase one you already know.
Let's suppose you invest all 10 in Creation, you now know every Creation spell from 0 -> 20 ( "minor creation" to "heal" )

For me, the issue isnt the way the creation process is split over several chapters, since most RPG systems do that.  The thing that irks me most however is that in Anima, the segments are out of sync and thus fail to present a more streamlined feeling.  Now I am using the pdf form character sheet and as I go through the process it constantly feels like Im flipping back and forth.

For example, Chapter 1 is basic character creation yet at many points in involves filling in or referencing data based on your character's class.  However you dont even get to that part until Chapter 3...Chapter 2 being about races even though.  Chapter 1 also goes in to your development points and using them to buy your skills, advantages, etc.  While Advatages are covered in Chapter 1, secondary abilities and the information actually needed to purchase the abilities are not covered until Chapter 4.

All in all it seems to fail in the basic character creation structure of fluid top to bottom creation Where you start at the top and work down in a well organized, fluid manner.  Anima's style instead has you jumping between pages, sometimes only filling out half of the information for a particular section then having to come back two chapters later to fill in the rest.

Anima seems like a great gaming system, but it could definitly use a better laid out creation process for characters.