Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lula2

Deciphering crew and morale modifiers

7 posts in this topic

I've been having some trouble figuring out what our ships' actual morale and population values are. The various components we have do some combination of the following:

• Increase or decrease Morale/Population

• Increase or decrease maximum Morale/Population

• Add to or subtract from losses of Morale/Population

I'm not sure how to do the arithmetic here. Are increases or decreases in Morale/Population actually different from maximum increases or decreases? Does it matter if something says it increases or decreases morale or population permanently? Do I apply the modifiers from stuff like crew reclamation facilities or death cults to regular increases and decreases, or also maximum increases or decreases?

Ok, I will try and sum up what your asking with an example:

I have 3 componets that affecct my crew Morale; Pressed Crew Quarters (-2 Morale), Temple (+3 Morale), Ancient Life Sustainer (+2). So if I do the math

-2+3+2=3 so my Morale is now at 103%, and yes Morle and Population can go above 100%. Same thing applies to Population

One thing to remeber about RT is that its a game of MODIFIERS.  So lets say that the Flying Dutchman gets hit with a nasty broadside and I take say 4 Points of Hull Damage, I will at this time reduce Hull by 4, Population by -4 and Morale by -4. So my Hull is at 66 Integrity, Population is down to 96% and Morale is down to 99%, makes sense?

Ship: The Flying Dutchman

Hull: Lunar-class cruiser

Dimensions: 5 km long, 0.8 km abeam at fins approx.

Crew: 95000 crew, approx.

Speed: 5                                  Manoeuvrability: +20         Crew Quality: 30

Detection: +25                        Hull Integrity: 70                 Crew Population: 100

Armour: 20                             Turret Rating: 2                   Crew Morale: 103%

Space: 75                               Power: 75

Weapon Capacity: Prow 1, Port 2, Starboard 2

Essential Components: Modified Jovian Pattern Class 4 Drive, Ancient Life Sustainer, Bridge of Antiquity, Strelov 2 Warp Engine, Warps Bane Hull, Multiple Void Shield Array, Pressed Crew Quarters, Deep Void Auger Array

Supplemental Components: Teleportarium, 2 Port Mars Pattern Macrocannon Broadside, 2 Starboard Mars Pattern Macrocannon Broadside, Prow Starflare Lance, Cogitator Interlink, Barracks, Munitorium, Trophy Room, Cargo Hold and Lighter Bay, Compartmentalized Cargo Hold,  Ship’s Stores, Augmented Retro-thrusters, Temple-shrine to the God Emporer

Thanks for the detailed reply! So Pressed-Crew Quarters + Temple-Shrine to the God Emperor + Ancient Life Sustainer make sense to me, just as you said …

Pressed-Crew Quarters: "Decrease Morale permanently by 2"

Temple-Shrine to the God Emperor: "Increase Morale permanently by 3"

Ancient Life Sustainer: "Increase Morale permanently by 2"

… but what if I have a Death Cult on board, and a Crew Reclamation Facility?

Death Cult: "However, reduce all Morale loss from any source by 2, due to the crew's unwavering faith."

Crew Reclamation Facility: "Increase all losses to Morale by 1."

Do those instructions apply to the loss of morale from Pressed-Crew Quarters? or only to morale losses during the game, like when the bad guys hit our ship?

Only applies to morale losses in-game.

Thus, with those components you should have a maximum morale of 103%, and say you're hit with a decrease of 8 points of morale loss. The actual morale loss would be 8-2+1=8-1=7 which puts your morale at 96%.

Morale can go down during Space Travel, Combat and other sources.  Your Death Cult would reduce the loss by 2 and then increase it by 1 due to your turning hurt/dead crew members in to servitors.  Once again, its a game of Modifers, just got to know when and where to apply them.

In a sense, there are 2 types of modifiers. One affects you maximum morale. The other affects changes to your morale.

Imagine that Morale is HP. You have a ring that gives you "+1 HP" and you have a shield that gives you "reduce all damage taken by 1." Morale functions in the same way.

Your base Max Morale is 100.