Sign in to follow this  
bsmith13

Transporting your miniatures

It is time for me to come up with a coherent system to transport my minis.  I have browsed the forums here, and gotten a lot of good ideas, but I need a little more input.

I think I would like to go the route with foam trays.  The two systems I've been able to find are the Army transport system and KR Multicase.  Has anyone seen both side by side?  Any recommendations as to which one you'd pick?  Any other foam tray alternatives out there?

Thanks in advance :)

bsmith13 said:

It is time for me to come up with a coherent system to transport my minis.  I have browsed the forums here, and gotten a lot of good ideas, but I need a little more input.

I think I would like to go the route with foam trays.  The two systems I've been able to find are the Army transport system and KR Multicase.  Has anyone seen both side by side?  Any recommendations as to which one you'd pick?  Any other foam tray alternatives out there?

Thanks in advance :)

Plastic baggies seem to work best for me :) j/k. The battle foam that jaravak posted works real well.

The KR system is quite good.  You can get a set of a tray that holds ten fighters on their bases and two more trays for dials, cards, templates etc.  Could have done with more spaces for movement dials though.  They also do a falcon/slave 1 tray though I havn't got that yet.  Of the various systems I've seen KR seems the cheapest.

I highly recommend good old walmart and Plano tackle boxes.  The X-Wing minis/stuff fit perfectly and are customizable.  There was a thread from a couple weeks ago where I stole the idea and posted the exact product you should look for.  Will try to dig it up real quick, the person I stole it from had pics of his setup.  Is MUCH cheaper than foam/etc solutions, each box is only like $5.

Just a heads up on the BattleFoam stuff.

BattleFoam started with a "Wave I" set that fit in the original box. However, with "Wave II" arrival they moved to a Wave I/II combo style (the one Jaravak posted.) They do not make, and the response I received via email is that they are not going to make, a Wave specific trays going forward. Personally, that seems short sighted as a customer cannot be expected to toss aside the previous purchase and get the latest Wave I … Wave x combo. IMO, the tendency to scale with the game as it grows does indicate KR is more committed to the game over the long haul.

Also, the BattleFoam pictured provides more pockets for a ship of a given type than can be fielded, if you are using the 100 point tournament rules as the "ceiling" of your collection. For those that do this (I do and I know several others who do so as well) you will find yourself with wasted pockets for which you have no intention or need to fill.

Please note I am not "slamming" BattleFoam, but having been an early adopter of their original "Wave I" tray, I now regret the purchase as the company is not offering as versatile (read: scalable) options as others companies have begun to do.

RogueMorgan

I purchased a light duty 612 case from plasticase. It was, i think, 24.95 plus $6.00 for the precut square foam insert (which is 1 1/4 inches thick) and 2 foam base pads for $2.00 each. Add in shipping and it came to around $50.00 for my mostly imperial case. I was going for some style with my purchase and it is well beneath KR's foam and kit cost.

P.S. In the link above, my case is the last one on that link.

Very happy with the KR multicase.  The big deal for me was not having to take all the ships off the bases (just the Y-Wings and the Falcon/Slave 1).

Works if the movement dials are stored with the ships, saves hunting them down.

Stores both large ships, 20 regular ships and the contents of 2 core sets plus all the cards, counters etc.

I found a very easy and cheap transportation.  In the section in hardware in Wal-Mart with all the nuts and bolts you will find a black case with red dividers.  It has 16 small slots and 2 large slots.  You can just trim the plastic the ships come in and they fit perfectly in the small slots and the trays that the Falcon and Slave 1 come in can be trimmed down and fit perfect in the large slots.  They also have 2 slots that are odd shaped near the handle that your pilot cards and base inserts could go.  I bought 2 one for my ships and one for my templates, markers, dials, cards, and inserts.  They cost $12 each and look great.  I'll try to get some pics soon to post here.

RogueMorgan said:

Just a heads up on the BattleFoam stuff.

Blah blah blah

RogueMorgan

I completely agree. They do make a nice product, but I'm not jazzed about their current offerings. That's why I picked up a different bag of pluck foam and plan on ordering trays from their custom tray tool. The sword bag holds 11ish inches of foam and 2 1.5 inch trays holds all my current ships, including 2 falcons and Firesprays. As new waves come out ill, put the ships in.the pluck foam and order custom foam cuts when I finish a tray. 

I was sad that their combined tray only had room for one Falcon, and the individual ones were huge and had space for 12 of each ship, that I would never use. 

Ps, I hate this forum on mobile. 

My awesome gf gave me a Yoda lunch box last year. I was in the process today of cutting foam for it and hoping to fit 4-6 TIEs in there for our store's May 4th event.

But then I had an epiphone! I am a huge fan of magnetizing for 40k…the lunch box is metal…why not put magnets on the X-Wing bases?!

Boom!!!!

Their are larger Star Wars lunch boxes on Amazon and I may pic 2 up, one for Imperial and one for Rebels.

The card cases are printed out and can be found in these Forums or on boardgamegeek.com.

I cut the foam insert to prevent the cards from hitting the ships.

If you plan on doing this yourself, make sure to score the magnet and the base, it will really help the CA glue grip and hold the parts together.

I did a 'shake' test and the ships do slide a little, but no damage and they stay attached!

P1010420.JPG

P1010421.JPG

P1010423.JPG

P1010422.JPG

I just bought the Armytransport Mark II and I love it. I have in it right now:

3 core sets

1 X-Wing Expansion (4 X-Wing total)

4 Y-Wing Expansions    

3 A-Wing Expansions

1 YT-1300

2 Tie Fighter Expansions (8 Tie Fighters total)

3 Tie Interceptor Expansions

1 Tie Advanced Expansion

1 Firespray-31 Expansion

And room for more ships. Plus when I run out of room I can just get the Armytransport Platoon and clip it to the Mark II.

There is a program you can use on their web site to make a template for your pluck foam so you can try out different patterns before you pluck or pull your foam trays.

I use "The Sergeant", from http://www.portablewarfare.com/

It's a shoulder-strap based bag, designed to hold foam trays (like the ones mentioned above).  Or they have their own foam, which is what I'm using.. (you pluck out your own shapes).  I use the pockets for storing dice, rulers, etc.  

I also use a small tackle box from Walmart for storing bases and tokens (which also fits into my sergeant bag).

product-sergeant-cat.png

The pluck foam is in ½ “X (the thickness of the foam tray) cubes and you just pluck out the foam cubes to shape the size space you need. Note, you need to remember that the tray is ¼” thicker than the actual size because of the solid tray bottom. Example, a 1½” tray will actually be 1¾” thick. You will need to take this into consideration when you get foam trays to fill your bag. 

Everything I use to transport my minis came from Wal-Mart.  The trays with the ships came from hardware and are $12 each, the tray with the tokens and dice came from Sporting Goods and was $4, and the tote came from Housewares and was $10.  The tote will hold 4 trays of ships, the token tray, and my binder with rulebook and squad lists.

382410_662507620431855_966861866_n.jpg

944291_662507727098511_1618116538_n.jpg

923185_662509277098356_529131658_n.jpg

575465_662507857098498_1567369933_n.jpg

946930_662507920431825_1434111912_n.jpg