Sign in to follow this  
Ceodryn

How to protect the dials?

Thanks for the update, bayn!  As someone who just came to the game recently, I'd been wondering how easily the tokens and other pieces would punch out from the sheets if sprayed first. Now I'll feel much safer in giving it a go.

You're welcome Cardo.
A piece did "stick" to the cardboard when being punched out (luckily I have 400 other focus tokens) that caused it to tear slightly but they do this without being sprayed occasionally also. Again you may want to spray with them out of the cardboard in order to possibly "seal" the edges although that's me making stuff up and I can't prove it will or won't help in the long run; just makes sense to me in my mind.

I just did this exact same thing last weekend, same results. I am very happy with the look of the cardboard parts with the gloss coat.

I just got a Lambda shuttle last night, so after punching out the pieces I laid them out and sprayed them. This time I let them dry overnight, and flipped them this morning and sprayed the other sides. One thing I noticed was absolutely zero stickiness after drying all night. The ones I did last weekend had the same issue with slight sticking as bayn described. If you can muster the patience, letting each side dry for 6-8 hours does help. After work this afternoon, I picked them up and assembled everything.

One additional thing I've done is to run a black marker around the edges of all my ship tokens and maneuver dials. I think it looks better than the cardboard color.

I went with all three options haha. I bought a roll of contact paper, Krylon acrylic crystal clear gloss and just today bought zinc washers. I will post pictures later in this forum. So far I used contact paper for all the dial but then figures out it was hard to cut and shape. As well when you look directly at it it wasn't a pretty circle. Next I used the Krylon acrylic crystal clear gloss from walmart and sprayed the outside of the dials but not the inside. Since today I bought washers I use that. Another thing to mention I also use the Krylon for the templates to protect them as well. I have done most of my movement templates and you can tell the difference from just the stock cardboard and then with the Krylon. I am now doing tokens that fit on the bases. I spray 6 coats on them. Had to buy another Krylon because my first one is running out. Again pictures will be posted later when I have the time. Maybe tonight or tomorrow.

After totally ruining a copy of Pacific War by applying contact paper to the map 20 years ago, I won't touch that stuff with a 10 foot poll. It became brittle, cracked, yellowed, and delaminated. Personally, I think the best rout here is the plastic washer method, or perhaps sandwiching a clear disk between halves. I don't see what a clear coat will accomplish - it will wear eventually if there is any rubbing.

Is it possible to put/place some material in between the dials?

Something like felt or other thin non-abrasive material?

I am also worried about the dials wearing. 

But I don't think mine will ever wear out.

Unlike many of you I don't get enough chances to play to wear it out!

Unlike many of you I don't get enough chances to play to wear it out!

I'm in that same boat! Someone play with me!... 

That came out wrong.

I also used nylon washers between my dials, also fiber ones. They both do great in keeping the disks apart although I did avoid metal washers just because I assumed it would eat into the cardboard sooner or later. I coated both sides of my dials but the washers minimize the contact by a large amount. I'm sure these will last for quite a long time after the modifications.

After reading all of this (having just picked up the game a month ago) my first thought when I am hearing about problems with the components wearing down so much for people that they have to go to all this trouble is to wonder why FFG doesn't offfer/create sheets with just movement dial replacements for sale. Similar to the sheets that come with the ships (with tokens, dials, etc.) but with only movement dials.

They could create sheets, maybe by Wave, with 2-4 dials for each ship per sheet. For a few bucks people could get all the replacements they need, no hassle, and FFG could make a bit of profit at the same time so everyone wins.

Is this an idea that has been circulated already? Maybe if enough people show interest in it we could make that happen.

I did an experiment this evening... couldn't find right size/shape washers at Home Depot today.

I have an industrial strength set of hand punches, so found one (3/8") that will fit over the female clip peg.

Punched holes in the clear plastic insert from the MF package (although any blister type packaging would work) as it was handy.

Cut around the holes to make washer/donut shapes. OD is just a bit larger than the V notch in the top piece.

Placed two of these washers between the disks. (One washer didnt seem to be thick enough.) Clips still snap, and I can see there's a gap. May look for some other thickness... No shortage of clear plastic packaging these days.

After reading all of this (having just picked up the game a month ago) my first thought when I am hearing about problems with the components wearing down so much for people that they have to go to all this trouble is to wonder why FFG doesn't offfer/create sheets with just movement dial replacements for sale. Similar to the sheets that come with the ships (with tokens, dials, etc.) but with only movement dials.

They could create sheets, maybe by Wave, with 2-4 dials for each ship per sheet. For a few bucks people could get all the replacements they need, no hassle, and FFG could make a bit of profit at the same time so everyone wins.

Is this an idea that has been circulated already? Maybe if enough people show interest in it we could make that happen.

The first thing I see wrong with that is it would be possible to not actually buy their mini then.  There have been some serious modifications and scratch builds, and whatnot.  And technically you're allowed (and encouraged) to modify the ship however much you want.  But you're required to have bought the actual mini to get the dial in order to use the modified one.  Plus, it's not that big of a deal to protect these.  The problem I'm starting to run into is that the female pegs on my ships are getting loose, and when I pick up the mini to move it, it separates from the base.  I'm thinking to fix that up, I might cut some of the pegs in half, pry the ship part off, and glue on the new half.