Sign in to follow this  
Gregorius21778

What is a "vat psyker"? Any know sources beside CA?

I was mystified by this term as well until I came across the entry and accompanying fluff for the the Praedatoris of the Starry Order. A Vat Psyker appears to be permenantly encased in a life-sustaining vat, supposedly transparent, and movable via a suspensor life in the base (controlled by the psyker and/or another I'm guessing). The purpose of placing a psyker in such a contraption could be one of many things, though keeping the Praedatoris at bay is the one the Starry Order appear to be motivated by.

I imagined it as a psychic energy "battery".  Usuable in any number of machine cult devices that might happen to need a connection to the warp to function.  I remember in Storm of Iron, there was a huge, intersteller communications relay that relied on, what they described as, vat psykers to send messeges more efficiently than a normal telepathica.

@Snidesworth
thanks for the hint. Haven´t read the entry yet. But still... what is the benefit? There seems to be one, since Inquisitor Gelt uses vat-psykers himself but seems unaware of the ways of the "Praedatoris".

@Schoon
Could you share the details you know? If it is merely a "hint", I do not think that I am going to buy the novell for it :)
Thank you!

I also put some vat-psyker stuff in the Woe tale.

Some powerful psykers are so twisted, either by mutation or their semi-controlled powers, that they require suspension vats to support their bodies - or are best hidden within such devices for the sanity of those they serve. The vats are typically life support systems that also help to protect (to some degree) the psyker and surrounding allies from backlash due to their own strength - and the psychic assault of enemies. Cooling systems, psy-drugs, medicus devices, venting, psy-devices, and so forth. Some types of vat might incorporate psy-amplifier and other enhancement technologies, but that is typically not done with the consent of the contained psyker given the normal results on their body and sanity.

Catastrophic results of psychic combat on vat-psykers can be seen, as pointed out above, in the Ravenor series.

In the worst case a vat-bound psyker is a slave in a horrific form of confinement. In the best case, the vat is the psyker's only hope of participating in normal human affairs in any way, shape, or form.

The Starry Order is a different and confounding situation - the motivation there is mask the scent of the Conceit by means of a confinement with no doors. Thus the necessity for a life support system.

In the years before Gelt fell off the deep end of Radicalism, he was sympathetic to the plight of pskyers, as hinted in the Woe tale, and did well by the twisted, potent beings he rescued from death or the Black Ships. It is unsure as to which faction of Magi Psykana he consorted with to obtain the armored, mobile suspensor vats that allow the psyker to move about of his own initiative, as well as varied support mechanisms he used for his vat-psyker servants, but they are many steps above the sort of device employed by the Starry Order.

Given that (which is about as close to canon as you're going to get, assuming I never get around to clarifying what I'm talking about in a future publication), I'm sure an industrious soul can come up with some decently balanced rules for an armored support vat.

Reason

Gregorius21778 said:

@Schoon
Could you share the details you know? If it is merely a "hint", I do not think that I am going to buy the novell for it :)
Thank you!

Without wanting to spoil anything; including Schoon's thunder, here you go.

Gideon Ravenor was one of Gregor Eisenhorn's Interrogators and borderline Alpha level Psyker (I think that classification is correct).  Gideon was nearly killed in a disaster which I will not go into detail on.  Henceforth, he lives in an armored suspensor operated life-support device; completely self-contained with built-in twin-linked (?) PsyCannons. 

Vat-Psyker's are likely contained in some form of similar device; perhaps to remove the distractions of the physical world to allow for a greater development of their abilities.  At least, from what I gather, the mechanism involded is similar.  The reasonning behind it is purley conjecture on my part.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Actually, Ravenor was 'only' a high delta/low gamma level psyker before the chair and it's psychic amplifiers.

There were a number of references to vat-psykers in various white dwarfs and a number of fan articles (including the slightly joky 'Harry Potter and the Inquisitorial Purge'). I think the major advantage (from the Imperium's point of view, at least) is that a psyker can be maintained, contained and controlled very easily- he/she is dependent upon the vat for life support, and its' ancillary mechanisms for motion, so if they are becoming a problem you can simply lock down the vat's motors, tweak the life support to feed them pain pills, or even just flood their nutrient lines with cyanide.

Also, it would be very easy to ward the vat, pentagrammically or hexagrammically, making it a safe bastion.

Huh, and here I was thinking that a Vat-Psykers was a custom-grown clone. But then I should have remembered that such a thing would be Genetic Heresy!

Thanks for clearing this up guys!

Heh. I had the same thought. They make servitors and cherubim that way, so why not half braindead psyker drones too? That would probably explain why Inquisitor Vogen objected to Gelt's vat-psykers, anyway.

I'm not sure which idea I prefer really. Perhaps I could keep the clone psykers and just call them something else. lengua.gif

Ursca said:

Heh. I had the same thought. They make servitors and cherubim that way, so why not half braindead psyker drones too? That would probably explain why Inquisitor Vogen objected to Gelt's vat-psykers, anyway.

I'm not sure which idea I prefer really. Perhaps I could keep the clone psykers and just call them something else. lengua.gif

But clones are heresy; the Ad Mech have outlawed cloning.

Full cloning, at least. As you say, I suppose such a creature could be brain-dead, but would they then be able to use psychic powers? Or have the willpower to resist a daemon?

Evilscary said:

But clones are heresy; the Ad Mech have outlawed cloning.

Truth with modification. Cloning is perfectly acceptable when creating servitors (the term "vat-grown" is essentialy cloning)

As for Vat Psykers. I think there is an illustration of one in the first edition of the Tau Codex on the pages with their backstory (the part describing when the Adeptus Mechanicus first met with the xenos when they were still quite primitive). In the background illustration you can se a large transparent watertank mounted on a tracked machine for locomotion with a vague human shape visible inside the tank. Sure its hard to tell if its a psyker inside or not, but thats kind of how I envision a "vat-person".

Would make a terrible miniature, though.

[Player 1 places miniature on table.] "There."

[Player 2 squints suspiciouly at it.] "What the hell is THAT?"

[Player 1] "THAT is a Beta grade vatpsyker."

[Player 2] "It's a test tube."

[Player 1, sheepishly] "Er...well, yes...ahem..."

Um. where does these cloned servitors come from, i have never heard about them. As far as i know servitors are created from failed servants convicts and ... yes children no one wants. But maybe i have missed something? :)

Anonymus said:

Um. where does these cloned servitors come from, i have never heard about them. As far as i know servitors are created from failed servants convicts and ... yes children no one wants. But maybe i have missed something? :)

Yes, Servitorization is also form of punishment. I cant cite the exact source where I've read this, but its somwhere to be found I assure you. What I can cite is the Elite advance in IH called "Cybernetic Resurrection", the full variant describes a body with "vat-grown organs". Now I can see that it would probably be tech-heresy to clone a full person, but the Ad-Mech certainly dont shy away from cloning certain body parts and organs they need. And since servitors mostly are made up from mechanical parts, one could prbably assume that the few organic parts could be cloned, unless the servitor in question is a punished servant.

Lightbringer said:

[Player 1 places miniature on table.] "There."

[Player 2 squints suspiciouly at it.] "What the hell is THAT?"

[Player 1] "THAT is a Beta grade vatpsyker."

[Player 2] "It's a test tube."

[Player 1, sheepishly] "Er...well, yes...ahem..."

Im not sure I agree. If I put my mind to it I think I could convert a cool enough miniature based on that concept. Just hand me a big enough bit-box and some glue. :)

MKX said:

All that comes to me is an image of a Futurama "celebrity head in a bucket" and a repulsor field so it can bobble along behind the Inq....

Thats my retirement plan your talking about. My dream is to spend the remainder of my days as a brain-in-a-jar.

//Varnias Tybalt - who obviously doesnt care much for his appearence although he is well educated within the rituals of personal hygiene

Vat Psykers are Psykers in a tin to be broken open at parties to amuse your friens and make pritty lights and daemons come from the warp and eat your friend and bring ETERNAL DARKNESS IS THE NAME OF THE GREAT DARK ONE!!!!

Sorry i went too far again. buti beleave there is an illastion of one in rogue trader being lifted by a large lifting arm on Tera.

Investigator Spleen said:

Vat Psykers are Psykers in a tin to be broken open at parties to amuse your friens and make pritty lights and daemons come from the warp and eat your friend and bring ETERNAL DARKNESS IS THE NAME OF THE GREAT DARK ONE!!!!

Sorry i went too far again. buti beleave there is an illastion of one in rogue trader being lifted by a large lifting arm on Tera.

I always assumed that was canned Emperor Kibble.

Why does this idea of "Psyker-in-a-tank" make me think of the full blown navigators in the Dune movie?

Anyway there's also a reference to psyker-tanks in James Swallow's Adepta Sororitas novel "Faith & Fire" - true in there the tank is used to restrict powers but it's a useful comparison.

Lightbringer said:

How can I resist posting this picture now:

aethel.net/inquisitor/showpic.php

Here is an image of a psyker who has undergone the "rite of pure thought" from our old Inquisitor game.  It was part of an Adeptus Mechanicus warband.  I was assuming anyway that rite of pure thought on a psyker = vat psyker

For the record, the brain in the jar is holding the sword because it just grabbed it away (it was a mission objective), not because it fights with one.  (now THAT would just be silly!gui%C3%B1o.gif )

Graver said:

Investigator Spleen said:

I always assumed that was canned Emperor Kibble.

So did i. that's what i thought Vat psykers where. but it looks like i was very wrong... will be using one real soon.

aethel said:

Lightbringer said:

How can I resist posting this picture now:

aethel.net/inquisitor/showpic.php

Here is an image of a psyker who has undergone the "rite of pure thought" from our old Inquisitor game.  It was part of an Adeptus Mechanicus warband.  I was assuming anyway that rite of pure thought on a psyker = vat psyker

For the record, the brain in the jar is holding the sword because it just grabbed it away (it was a mission objective), not because it fights with one.  (now THAT would just be silly!gui%C3%B1o.gif )

Great! Now I dont have to actually back up my words on the challenge of making a miniature of a vat psyker. It would probably look just like the one in the pic.

Off-topic quetsion: Hmm, was it Lovecraft who invented the brain-in-a-jar concept? Or did som other sci-fi author beat him to it? Nevertheless, it seems like a cozy existence to me. happy.gif