Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MasterJediAdam

Search For Skywalker - Spoilers

69 posts in this topic

If the LS first turn involves a twilek loyalist I'm pretty sure it's not the greatest of openers. I would be more worried about a 1st turn Obi-Wan with trust your feelings, at that point my board is locked down unless I draw a Tie Attack Squadron with a Fate card. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TGO said:

 

If the LS first turn involves a twilek loyalist I'm pretty sure it's not the greatest of openers. I would be more worried about a 1st turn Obi-Wan with trust your feelings, at that point my board is locked down unless I draw a Tie Attack Squadron with a Fate card. 

 

 

Thats funny. I'd consider a Turn 1 Twi'lek/Han Solo to be much worse. It wont keep you from attacking next turn, but will quickly dispatch the Devastator and set up a "Timewalk" situation. where the LS is a turn ahead, both because he killed it and a good deal of your resources will be on lock down because of paying for it. Luke would also be problematic, given he could defend and at least prevent the unopposed damage (if not the edge-enabled too) since the Devastator can't kill him in one strike, paricularly if there was a blaster deflect in there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to mention that barring god-draw, Obi/Trust is almost impossible to pull off turn 1, given it costs 7 total (6 with In You Must Go)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loyalist + a big unit is always a good play, best when that big unit has targeted strike. One of the most common misplays I've seen is not attacking with the Loyalist alone in that situation. Arguably, the LS player that drops Loyalist + Han against the Devestator should purposefully throw the edge battle (assuming committed Devestator). Then, when Han is done attacking the Devastator has 3 focus tokens and 3 damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dbmeboy said:

Loyalist + a big unit is always a good play, best when that big unit has targeted strike. One of the most common misplays I've seen is not attacking with the Loyalist alone in that situation. Arguably, the LS player that drops Loyalist + Han against the Devestator should purposefully throw the edge battle (assuming committed Devestator). Then, when Han is done attacking the Devastator has 3 focus tokens and 3 damage.

+1, my thoughts exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to inconvenience anyone, but can someone who has the set please upload high res images somewhere? I'm dying to see cards, but I won't get my hands on it until next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hida77 said:

TGO said:

 

If the LS first turn involves a twilek loyalist I'm pretty sure it's not the greatest of openers. I would be more worried about a 1st turn Obi-Wan with trust your feelings, at that point my board is locked down unless I draw a Tie Attack Squadron with a Fate card. 

 

 

Thats funny. I'd consider a Turn 1 Twi'lek/Han Solo to be much worse. It wont keep you from attacking next turn, but will quickly dispatch the Devastator and set up a "Timewalk" situation. where the LS is a turn ahead, both because he killed it and a good deal of your resources will be on lock down because of paying for it. Luke would also be problematic, given he could defend and at least prevent the unopposed damage (if not the edge-enabled too) since the Devastator can't kill him in one strike, paricularly if there was a blaster deflect in there.

 


The thing is, you can easily deploy 2 such big units as a Navy Player now. With one of them having shielding, you can protect your Devastator if you go the defense and stabilize route. Sure, you may have discarded your whole hand to do it, but then again, 3+1 (Death Squadron) and 4+1 (Devastator) bombs are nothing to sneeze at when on the receiving end.

Even in a likely scenario pitting Luke against the Death Squadron, you still get through at least once, if not twice.

Of course, as we all know, such big units are very susceptible to focus icons (hence the shields). Still, I am kind of baffled why isn't the Death Squadron protected from card effects but only from events. If I am not mistaken, given the current card pool, there are only two cards that can target it: Deflection and Rebel Assault. Heat of Battle can still target it. Why such nimble difference? My guess is they probably did that because of knowledge of what is to come, but still… not really convincing ability as of right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they wanted for Han Solo to kill such beast (since his reaction ability would be negated by immunity to card effects). But then again such thing may have been to powerful… Either way, I like it. Will stick it into my Navy deck just because there is nothing more awesome than deploying the mighty Imperial Armada in the first turn.

/**** forums having me to post second post instead of editing. No, I am too lazy to change the URL. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well now you're talking about a situation where the DS got 2 big units out (I'd contend that they can't really do that "easily," but it is indeed possible).  It will indeed take a bit more of a combo than a single Loyalist to handle that start, true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TGO said:

You can only rescue her if she is at the engaged objective.

Ok? So really all you are saying is that you might not be able to double attack *AND* rescue her in the same turn unless you are playing Wookie Navigator or your opponent makes a mistake.  That totally bursts his bubble, I'm sure.  Honestly, I would rather attack. then kill her to have my entire team to defend with as well, then rescue her next turn, which you can totally do.  It gets kinda silly if you get both Leias as well.

I already forsee Han/Chewie/Lando/Renegade Sqaudron/Leia as a deck once Edge comes out (and thats assuming theres not even better stuff that we arent aware of), and it has a lot of tricks just based on what has been previewed already. Chewie's set protects Leia until you want her to "die" and all the other sets take huge advantage of it. and help you get her back. Sounds like a plan, espcially given the amount of tactics icon bouncing and damage output Smugglers have already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bhosp said:

I think this Force Pack MIGHT make it possible to do an effective Han/Luke/Leia deck. MIGHT.

Im skeptical, but go for it =)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the only traits that will ever really matter are character and vehicle when it comes to cave- so at this point it can already pair with every one of those types it matches. I don't think a Han/Leia deck will really work until set 5 when we see a rebel Han. I'm hoping for -targeted strike-when Han focuses to strike rescue one captured card or deal one damage to one enemy objective or unit"  I think that's on par with S&S  Han and fits the theme.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just Logan said:

the only traits that will ever really matter are character and vehicle when it comes to cave- so at this point it can already pair with every one of those types it matches.

I guess I sabotaged the clarity of my point by mentioning its relevance to gameplay. I actually see it more as a matter of consistency between Renegade Squadron and other cards representing squadrons, such as the TIE Attack Squadron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0