Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Emirikol

4 Years In: What do you and your fellow players think of WFRP?

74 posts in this topic

Here's what I'd do:

Grab some of the fan scenario downloads that are in English (email me or send me a message know if you can't find them) and let google translat them for you.  That is a very quick process.  It's what I do for your German scenarios and even the French ones.  

Here is the latest batch of scenarios from Germany:  http://www.soehne-sigmars.de/2012/07/szenario-wettbewerb-august-2012/

Then follow up on this site:  http://www.altewelt.net/viewforum.php?f=6

There are many scenarios that can quickly be translated with google translate.  It's not perfect, but can break that log jam in your mind for new ideas.  Here is a link to the scenarios:  http://gallery.rptools.net/d/82966-1/WFRP+COMPLETE+SCENARIO+LIST+AND+DOWNLOAD+LINKS.pdf

Best,

jh

I have a if not love / hate ...then a love / frustration relationship with the system due to too mainly social combat, partysheet, general unbalanceness etc. 

The group I regularly play WFRP with 2 players loves the system - 1 doesnt really like it but is ok with it ...then me...and two Im not really sure of ... In my other gaming group we tested in just when it came out and there Im pretty much the only one who is ok with it ...with the others being die hard 2end lovers and 'fiddly bit and weird dice' haters 

I'll echo what many have said already. I love WFRP 3e. The system is so much fun to GM and Play. I feel like I've only scratched the surface on what it can do.

I find most other systems boring and unimaginative when compared to 3e.

Exactly same, more than 3 years we play with this system.

We (I, i'm the GM afterall :) ) like :

- cards, easiere than read books or part of explanation on character's sheet

- token to drive actions and multiply use

- stress/fatigue so great to still be "human"

- dice of course... no more "fault of GM" and so intuitive and reach. but need many of them

- stance meter, my favorite, with twice side of actions... SO RPG!!! and I'm very "on the edge" with change during play (means that I ask some Roleplaying clue that this character change)

We don't use :

- character paper  miniature... don't need, it's RPG, not strategic boardgame or wargame... only need paper, pen and imagination

- location cards... it's a good idea, but too long to search good one and in fact, it's more for beginers (GM especally) 'cause normaly, we add bonus/malus automaticaly. just a reminder

- monster party sheet... as location for my part

We use but not enough:

- party sheet: I love idea and put some token for great playing... but often forget... and the stress meter doesn't work with skilled players (not characters, players): they rarely aren't "ok" on situation, never loose time to choose sorting during battle, ...

so, we love and just need more expansion (like in my other subject, expansion about elves, because we have very few carrier for them, especally advanced, elite, ...)

I recently introduced the system to two female friends who are not in anyway hard-core gamers and they both took to the system instantly and loved it. They thought it was very intuitive, visual, and non-mathy (unlike most other rpgs). We all love the cards. The effort that has gone into this game is staggering. I am a long-time DnD player and I don't miss at all wading through book after book to find that particular feat that you forgot to write down all the details about. The player aids just keep you immersed without those silly distractions. Congrats Jay Little and the FFG team! With the introduction of the new Edge of the Empire SWRPG I foresee more people being converted to this revolutionary approach to rpg and more fans for Warhammer. I think it would be great if they produced a beginners introductory adventure box set like they did with the Star Wars game with all the walk throughs and visual aids. With all the excitement about the new SWRPG, now would be a great time to do that.

Thanks to FFG for all their work on this superb system!

Keeop likes this

Glad to see most people still liking this game. After seeing the beta of Star Wars Edge of the Empire I decided to check out the sister game of WHFRP. So last year I bought the core set and a bunch of dice (I heard dice were hard to come by so I bought every set I could find -- I got 5 sets I think) but I haven't done anything with it yet. With the EotE core book just out I will probably b busy with that but I hope to get around to WH some day.

Edited by fjw70

Hi folks, I normally just follow forums but you all seem like a canny bunch. I've arrived late to the 3rd edition party. I've been GM'ing WFRP since around '87 off and on and always loved the setting. Over the last few years I'd almost decided to throw the towel in regards gaming as things had got stale amongst the group. Then I saw that there was a new edition out and I got all nostalgic for 'ye good olde days in Bogenhafen', and bought it.

I'm running it with two seperate groups now and am three and four sessions in respectively, and its like we all have a new lease of roleplaying life. The basic book is pretty inscrutable, but the flavour of Warhammer is captured perfectly, and the dice system is inspired. As I've just started, there's a plethora of supplements for me to get excited about, but I see from those of you who've been with 3rd edtn since the start that the lack of information about future products is getting frustrating.

FFG have something special here, and there's probably a lost generation of ex-gamers out their who could be a large untapped market for their products who could be brought back into the fold; if only they could be reached.

I'd like to see FFG follow the film industry and generate excitement by advertising new products with 'teaser trailers' of art and emotive text a year ahead of potential release.

Thanks for getting me back into the Old World.

I'm one the old second ed. crew that screamed fire and brimstone when 3e got announced.

"Custom dice? PUZZLE FIT PIECES? THIEVERY!!!"

But one day I just decided, hell, I had the box, I'll give it a lash.

That was three years ago, now I am a complete wfrp3 junky, as my previous love for the background has now been enhanced with a system that I think is fun, descriptive and lends well to good roleplaying.

NOW PRINT SOME NEW STUFF FFG.

x13phantom likes this

I like WFRP 3, but the rules leaves a lot to be desired for high rank play in terms of balance. They have tried to remedy this to some extent, but it still needs house rules to work at my table.

After playing EotE allthe cards and bits annoy me a bit. EotE is so smooth and yet with incredible detail and possibility.

Too much work compared to what it adds to the game.

I like the idea behind the cards but it's too time consuming.

One thing I'll transfer to WFRP is the advesary talent in place of giving bigger mobs defensive cards and just focus on giving them a fee signature cards.

I'll use their threat level divided by something and rounded down to work their advesary level out

Edited by Gallows

I like WFRP 3, but the rules leaves a lot to be desired for high rank play in terms of balance. They have tried to remedy this to some extent, but it still needs house rules to work at my table.

After playing EotE allthe cards and bits annoy me a bit. EotE is so smooth and yet with incredible detail and possibility.  Too much work compared to what it adds to the game.  I like the idea behind the cards but it's too time consuming.

One thing I'll transfer to WFRP is the advesary talent in place of giving bigger mobs defensive cards and just focus on giving them a fee signature cards.

I'll use their threat level divided by something and rounded down to work their advesary level out

Gallows:

How does EotE play at high levels and how are the Jedi powers going to be at high level?  Are they going to release cards for Jedi or is it going to be freeform talent trees like it is for the other classes/careers?

Also, what big things do you feel stick out at high level in terms of balance when your WFRP3 gaming group played regularly at Rank 4+.

I've never had a campaign go past about Rank 3 (33 advances was our group's highest advance in our Dying of the Light campaign), so I'm interested in hearing from all of you who have actually played campaigns into Rank 5 and above.  I know Valvorik's campaigns have gone into 8th Rank, but he didn't indicate many issues.

The only trouble I have with bits are that I don't use most of them.  Its just as easy to use a pencil and paper. As for my Rank 3 play, we had a lot of player characters die.  Are the characters in your Rank 4 WFRP3 groups dying often as well?

jh

Edited by Emirikol

After playing EotE allthe cards and bits annoy me a bit. EotE is so smooth and yet with incredible detail and possibility.  Too much work compared to what it adds to the game.  I like the idea behind the cards but it's too time consuming.

Gallows:

How does EotE play at high levels and how are the Jedi powers going to be at high level?  Are they going to release cards for Jedi or is it going to be freeform talent trees like it is for the other classes/careers?

Also, what big things do you feel stick out at high level in terms of balance when your WFRP3 gaming group played regularly at Rank 4+.

I've never had a campaign go past about Rank 3 (33 advances was our group's highest advance in our Dying of the Light campaign), so I'm interested in hearing from all of you who have actually played campaigns into Rank 5 and above.  I know Valvorik's campaigns have gone into 8th Rank, but he didn't indicate many issues.

The only trouble I have with bits are that I don't use most of them.  Its just as easy to use a pencil and paper. As for my Rank 3 play, we had a lot of player characters die.  Are the characters in your Rank 4 WFRP3 groups dying often as well?

jh

The dice of EotE are balanced perfectly. Competitive checks for instance. Two people with same stat/skill will have slightly over 50% success rate for the active party. In WFRP the success rate for the same situation at high level is 90% or more for the active party at rank 4+ and at low level it can be lower than 30% for two of the same stat/skill.

Attack/defense follows the same pattern and breaks down at high level.

EotE has some wonderful mechanics and the dice pool bloating is very limited compared to WFRP at high levels. In WFRP when we played through 1000 thrones we had some dice pools getting well past 20 dice.

Apart from that I like the setting they have made, the way a lot of customization/progression is hidden in equipmemt upgrades, starship upgrades etc. The way stats and skills work is brilliant. The starship gives players a base of operations right oit the box, supported by game mechanics. It and equipmemt upgrades support a dynamic and living player economy right from the start.

I am a fantasy GM by heart, but EotE has won me over and impressed me a great deal.

After playing EotE allthe cards and bits annoy me a bit. EotE is so smooth and yet with incredible detail and possibility.

Too much work compared to what it adds to the game.

I like the idea behind the cards but it's too time consuming.

I've had kind of the opposite reaction to EotE compared to WFRP. I like Edge a lot, but I miss some of the cool stuff in WFRP (Actions and stance especially). For me, it misses some of the magic that has made warhammer my favorite system.

Each Jedi power comes in the form of a tree.

By buying the "base power" (for example Sense) you can already do a few basic things (sense emotions lets say); then by investing XPs on the power tree, you can customise it in different ways (more range, affect more targets, side effects etc.)

But truth be told, the core book for force users is not going to be released until 2015 or so, so nobody knows exactly how the force user careers are going to be.

Actually, I am not sure if I even agree that Warhammer has a balance problem at high levels. From my experience the balance problem starts much sooner. With as few as 10 sessions, any PC will have easily 2 yellow dice in a skill plus two (or more) fortune dice. What I experienced is that too soon (and too often) I had to "invent" justifications to throw a big enough amount of misfortune dice in order to put some challenge on the skill checks of my players, otherwise no lock was hard enough to open, no trail was difficult to follow, and no merchant /noble could stand against the haggling skills of the PCs. This is something I am not typically against of, but if it happens too fast, like in warhammer 3, I don't like it, I prefer a less step PC evolution like in SW EotE.

On the other hand, this is not an issue in combat. In Warhammer 3 you will always find a combination of critter + action card strong enough as to pose a terrible challenge for the whole party, even if they are rank 5. Indeed, at the end of my "time" playing warhammer 3, I realized that the game has too much focus on combat, may be less than D&D, I don't know that, but too much for my taste...just a few thoughts

Enjoy,

Yepes

Edited by Yepesnopes

I think the great balancing factor is the chaos star.  By the RAW, you've got a 1 in 8 even when everything else goes right.

Hmm, I am sure that I am the minority on this page, but while I have enjoyed my time with 3e and all of the friendly people on this forum, I have arrived at a place of strong dislike for 3e. After running the game for a little over a year, with the last 3 months being a weekly game I have found the cards to be just toooooo much. To put this in context I own every expansion including all of the pods, along with 2 core box sets. I hope the game lives forever and those who enjoy it can continue to get great high quality expansions for many years to come. The game really is great but is no longer for me. Individually I love the cards and components but as a whole it drives me a bit crazy. The products are of super high quality, art is amazing, I love the adventures, the dice are great. The game is NOT portable, requires lots of prep time, lots of organization, and cannot be played just hanging on a couch. Ultimately this is why I am throwing in the towel.

Best regards to everyone and a special thanks to everyone who has ever answered one of my posts. Your ideas have been greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gary

Emirikol likes this

Understood.  I like the game but for me at least it occupies a permanent niche with its own storage system etc.  I wrote a review of it noting that "it's not a game to put in backpack and pull out in the student lounge".

Rob

Emirikol likes this

Hmm, I am sure that I am the minority on this page, but while I have enjoyed my time with 3e and all of the friendly people on this forum, I have arrived at a place of strong dislike for 3e. After running the game for a little over a year, with the last 3 months being a weekly game I have found the cards to be just toooooo much. To put this in context I own every expansion including all of the pods, along with 2 core box sets. I hope the game lives forever and those who enjoy it can continue to get great high quality expansions for many years to come. The game really is great but is no longer for me. Individually I love the cards and components but as a whole it drives me a bit crazy. The products are of super high quality, art is amazing, I love the adventures, the dice are great. The game is NOT portable, requires lots of prep time, lots of organization, and cannot be played just hanging on a couch. Ultimately this is why I am throwing in the towel.

Best regards to everyone and a special thanks to everyone who has ever answered one of my posts. Your ideas have been greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gary

This.

To be honest, I never got around to playing/running WFRP 3,  I bought a lot of stuff for it, as I'm a big fan of the old editions and the setting, but I couldn't get my head around the mechanics.  I always sort of blamed the dice.

Then Edge of the Empire came along. 

I played it last night with my group, and my goodness.  It sings.  The "narrative dice" allow for a lot more interpretation, and the players seemed to really enjoy that (and I know I did!). 

When we were done, I went back to WFRP 3 to see if I just missed something.  It was a lot easier to understand the rules after having read and played EoE, but it still feels like WFRP is a lot more cluttered (and I never saw the need for "stance").  Also, there was a lot of fun interpreting the dice for ourselves instead of letting action cards decide.

In short, I would love to see WFRP get the same treatment.

I really hope it doesn't because eote really felt bland to me, didn't matter what "class" i was, it was all the same.

I love the action cards here cause it really gives me something to strive for in my leveling, which doesnt exist in star wars. The only thing you have there is a talent tree that really didnt give me much satisfaction in growth. Didnt matter what i took in the tree, cause it doesnt impact my character that much.

Edited by Banemus
Emirikol likes this

Stance exists because it was the story-turned-gamist part of the Gotrek and Felix novels.  It IS wfrp because that's what the story held.  Sure, you can easily play without it, but that's why it exists.  Removing that component wouldn't break the game one iota.  In fact, I would argue that there is no component in WFRP3 that cannot be removed and played like the reduced eote complexity if one so chose. Some prefer the game system.  Some prefer the Warhammer Universe.  Some can combine the two with a little ingenuity.

There's a lot of stuff that I don't use and have had no difficulty turning the WFRP3 game into exactly what I wanted.    I hope you guys can too.  If not, well, then have a great time with EotE  :)

Edited by Emirikol
Keeop likes this

I had my doubts with the system components when I bought 3ed. Then we played it for a couple of months and I loved it all, but it still felt a lot. There was no real problem, just the feel of how to manage so much information, and how to translate it in narrative terms.

Even though it was a lot of things to get used to, and so a little hard to catch up, one thing that helped make me a fan is that every mechanic is potentially related to narrative. So, after a while, translating mechanics into narrative became so adictive that I was asking for too many dice rolls just to interpret them, and so I wasn't making many decisions about the story.

Then we stopped playing for a while. There was a player in the group that stopped being around with us, and another friend started a Pathfinder campaing with a great story (the only thing to make me go back to D20 was a great story that unfortunately ran with the system; but now we actually translated all the game into a generic version of Dragonlance Saga, and all is well). It has been something near 10 months.

But as I was itching, and everyone still in touch was too, we will come back to Warhammer pretty soon. And when I went back to read materials and started organizing for the next game soon to come, I fell in love with the system yet again.

Now I'm having a blast organizing things. I was never a well organized GM. I'm using zip lock plastic bags to keep the cards separated by type, and also to give enemies the cards I chose for them. I also have some bags of tricks, as I'm not sure how the group will deal with trouble in terms of the mechanics. And I discovered another thing...

The number of action cards used to bother me. Now I'm seeing them as a great thing. What's happening is that I'm choosing action cards for key NPCs and I'm noticing the system is giving me unique options for every character the PCs will meet in an encounter. Since they work through Action Cards, the mechanics are adjusting themselves to the combination I make, thus creating singularities that will be real fun to roll. Things will work differently for every encounter the PCs have, ever.

I'm thrilled about it all.

Keeop and Emirikol like this

Stance exists because it was the story-turned-gamist part of the Gotrek and Felix novels.  It IS wfrp because that's what the story held.  Sure, you can easily play without it, but that's why it exists.  Removing that component wouldn't break the game one iota.  In fact, I would argue that there is no component in WFRP3 that cannot be removed and played like the reduced eote complexity if one so chose. Some prefer the game system.  Some prefer the Warhammer Universe.  Some can combine the two with a little ingenuity.

There's a lot of stuff that I don't use and have had no difficulty turning the WFRP3 game into exactly what I wanted.    I hope you guys can too.  If not, well, then have a great time with EotE   :)

You know, there's a lot going for what you state here, not just with these two cousin-rpg's but with any system. In my opinion the biggest thing people struggling with WFRP exhibit is a lack of creativity and ingenuity. The whole point of a modular system is that you can mold it to your table. Want a "portable" game? Run lite with books and dice only. Overwhelmed by "bits" or find things that don't flow well? Terraform the system as JH has. I have yet to read a single, negative point on this board  that can't be solved with an hour of brain power and a glass of scotch. Some folks don't have the hour or the scotch, and that's totally cool. Not all games can be all things to all people. But frankly as a whole we won't benefit greatly if FFG follows the footsteps of Wizards and release multiple versions of the same game every 5 years that divide the community into little Dunning Kruger pockets. I hope the few folks intrigued with the idea of a WH4e port of Edge see what they're asking for there.

WFRP 3e can be an elegant, fantastic game that offers years of play for the right table. EotE can be a stellar, streamlined and casual narrative system that is also a complete and total blast to play. Two different games for two different demographics. They don't have to, or necessarily need to mix. But in a few cases, like my own, it's a real treat to GM both :)

Edited by Keeop

There's a lot of stuff that I don't use and have had no difficulty turning the WFRP3 game into exactly what I wanted.    I hope you guys can too.  If not, well, then have a great time with EotE   :)

You know, there's a lot going for what you state here, not just with these two cousin-rpg's but with any system. In my opinion the biggest thing people struggling with WFRP exhibit is a lack of creativity and ingenuity. The whole point of a modular system is that you can mold it to your table. Want a "portable" game? Run lite with books and dice only. Overwhelmed by "bits" or find things that don't flow well? Terraform the system as JH has. I have yet to read a single, negative point on this board  that can't be solved with an hour of brain power and a glass of scotch. Some folks don't have the hour or the scotch, and that's totally cool. Not all games can be all things to all people. But frankly as a whole we won't benefit greatly if FFG follows the footsteps of Wizards and release multiple versions of the same game every 5 years that divide the community into little Dunning Kruger pockets. I hope the few folks intrigued with the idea of a WH4e port of Edge see what they're asking for there.

WFRP 3e can be an elegant, fantastic game that offers years of play for the right table. EotE can be a stellar, streamlined and casual narrative system that is also a complete and total blast to play. Two different games for two different demographics. They don't have to, or necessarily need to mix. But in a few cases, like my own, it's a real treat to GM both :)

Much truth here.