Sign in to follow this  
Inquisition

Newington, Connecticut regional report

The Newington regional took place this past Saturday with a decent turnout of 13 players, from across the Northeast. The day started with one round of melee followed by 4 rounds of Swiss joust and then a cut to the top eight. Every house was represented with Stark being the most popular pick, with 4 players choosing the house of wolves.

The final top eight standings are as follows (with apologies in advance if I get any restricted cards wrong!).

1. Stark/No agenda/Meera Reed
  2. Lannister/Power Behind the Throne/Pyromancers Cache
  3. Baratheon/Long Voyage/ Refugee of Highgarden
  4. Greyjoy/Aeron Damphair/Fear of Winter
  5. Targaryen/Maester’s Path/Maester’s path
  6. Stark/No agenda/Fury of the wolf
  7. Targaryen/Hollow Hill/Hatchlings Feast
  8. Stark/HoD-Harrenhal/No Quarter

While I came into the event thinking my Stark deck could hold its own, I was really expecting to use this event as a way to scope out the field and make tweaks based on what it looked like the big powerful builds were going to be. I entered the elimination rounds as the sixth seed, facing a Stark deck that I had just played and went to time against. It was a very war crest heavy deck and I needed to use Meera to blank out his strength boosting characters and locations. His deck was a bit lighter in intrigue than mine, so I chipped away at his hand as best I could. The major turning point here was actually the reset plot. He was running Wildfire instead of Valar, so I was able to keep three big characters on the board. From there out I was able to keep control of the board and take the game.

Top 4 game was against the Baratheon Long Voyage. We both had a lot of characters on the board, and since he was running a lot of holy and renown, a good deal of his power was on his characters. I overextended a bit, thinking he wouldn’t reset the board because of it, but he did. From then out it was a game of who would make the least mistakes. A miscalculation on his part of swinging in for a late challenge when it wasn’t needed was I think did him in, but being able to capitalize on mistakes is a huge part of competitive play, something that was really driven home in the championship match.

Power Behind the throne was the deck I was dreading most coming in. I was running enough intrigue to stave off the first intrigue challenge each turn, but that was it. I got off to an early lead, being able to kill off the smaller characters and use Maege a few times to bulk up my location base. Once Cersei came in and she was able to claim double renown, it started going to Lannister’s favor. In hindsight, I may have waited one turn too late to reset the board, especially as Cersei kept raking in power and I was expecting to see a Power of Blood on the turn that I did Valar. It didn’t come and I was able to drop two characters, Maege and Rickon. The mistake came when my opponent mistakenly stealthed past Rickon instead of Maege on a power challenge. I knelt and stood her with Frozen Outpost, winning the challenge as a result. As I had no hand at that point, so he Valared next turn, hoping I wouldn’t draw anything I needed. Luckily I drew two characters and he was only able to drop one. That was enough to seal the victory, in one of the most exciting matches I have ever been fortunate enough to play. One mistake can really make or break a game for you, and it was really unfortunate that that was the play that probably sealed my victory.

Many thanks go out to ConnetiCon for holding the event, Adam and the other Connecticut players for being our gracious hosts, the Boston players that came down and discovered that they do in fact have a meta(!), and of course my fellow NYC meta mates, both Jim and Dave who made the trip up with me, and all those that couldn’t. The help with my deck and the level of competition you provide on a weekly basis has been invaluable in making me a better player.

Good write up, and congrats Matt! Very well played. Just curious, how did you like Maege Mormont? Was she the primary reason you didn't run an agenda?

Great writeup Matt and congratulations!  A very well played game and great job.  I hope we can play each other again sometime soon.

Just a quick correction though.  You were the one who Valar'd in that subsequent turn, not me!  You had no choice but to Valar because I had 8 characters and you had none out.   I'd never have Valar'd with the board position that I had and 14 power!

Maege Mormont really is a solid character.  He was able to use her to grab Harrenhal, Frozen Outpost, and Frozen Moat through out the game.

It was great to meet Matt, Dave, and Jim from the NYC meta.  It was also great to meet the group of players out of Boston(Lauren, Chris, and I'm sorry I don't recall everyone's names).  It was nice to meet Anthony, another local player.

I had a blast at this regional and I'm happy that you guys did too!

I hope you all can make it out to the June 1st regional that I will be running.

Yes, thanks for correcting me Adam, my memory is a little hazy since those final turns were so intense!

And Maege was one of the main reasons I played no agenda, so I could add yet another search option to the deck. Though I also decided against it as a defense against opposing Calvary Flanks and I thought I'd see more of those new fleets.

Inquisition said:

Yes, thanks for correcting me Adam, my memory is a little hazy since those final turns were so intense!

Let's also not forget that it was midnight and we were all spent.  :-)

congrats on the win, Matt!

I had a great time playing.  As you said, I found a meta, too!  It was good to meet a bunch of people; maybe I'll see you all at the June regional.

A well deserved win Matt, congrats!

I was great to meet players from other metas, and to put a face to others I've "known" online for a while.  I'm now looking forward to the rest of the season even more than I was before!

dcdennis said:

this thread needs more dennis!

I find this to be a fairly poor troll, sir. For one, what is a dennis? Your lack of capitalization leads me to believe that this is not, in fact, a proper noun, but a thing I should be able to find in the dictionary. However, upon searching for dennis in the dictionary, the only item that returns is a proper noun. Therefore I am left to wonder if a dennis is a thing that this dcdennis character has chosen to make up. If so, it lacks definition. If I were to infer what a dennis was from the context of this thread, it must be something associated with the Newington regional tournament. What, then, is this dennis thing he is referring to? Upon reviewing the picture that was later supplied by a poster, I come to notice one thing. There is a lack of bystanders.So clearly the picture's lack of bystanders can be resolved with more bystanders. Could these be this dennis thing that dcdennis is referring to? Now bystanders are often considered to be obnoxious. Some are even accused of assisting others in cheating and thus ruining the integrity and legitimacy of tournament results. A void of these type of people could be a massive negative. Without negative publicity, the only type of publicity this game would ever get is positive publicity. If the game only receives positive publicity, it will not appeal to the full spectrum of potential players. The spectrum of players that are obnoxious and likely to cheat will never be interested in the game and the lack of those players participation will be detrimental to FFG's sales revenues. This could ultimately lead to the demise of FFG and the game as we know.

This leads me to conclude two things:

1) A dennis is an obnoxious bystander

2) Dennises are required for the outright success of FFG and A Game of Thrones

Therefore it is obvious that dcdennis's observation of the lack of dennises is a clear, resonating cry to the player base to ensure that there are always dennises at every tournament to maintain the viability of A Game of Thrones as a true competitive game.

TL:DR Tralalalalalala lalala

dcdennis said:

/can't tell if he was just insulted or complimented, but either way he likes it.

You know, after I wrote the conclusion I had no idea if I was insulting your or complimenting you either… It was all very confusing. It must be why I have so much trouble with the rules!