Sign in to follow this  
Sprolly G

Straight X-wing's

Sprolly G said:

The goal is to fire all torps ASAP, regardless if at range 3.

Imo, a hard first strike is just as good as those extra shields. If they swarm with all pilot skill-1 ties, then you're definitely in business. With a little luck, you could "even the score" right off the bat. Best scenario being, 4 torps, 4 destroyed ties in the first combat phase. Then your dogfighting skills need to take over and better be good, since there are no pilot traits. Also, there is nothing to forget, allowing you to concentrate fully on maneuvering and range.

Worst scenario being that your first combat phase is in range 1…

I think that you missed my point Sprolly - your goal may be to fire all torps ASAP but to do that you need a target lock. If you move your ships first on the first turn then when they take their actions the enemy aren't in range for a target lock. Without Deadeye or Veteran Instincts you won't get to fire torps in the first round. In the second round if your opponent has any sense they'll be at range 1 and you still can't fire the torps. 

Without some clever faking out/manouevring on your part or a serious error on the part of your opponent you won't be able to fire that initial torp volley.

Y'know, being at range 1 really isn't that bad for X-wings. In this scenario you still end up with 4 attack dice with Target Lock or Focus, so you've got a pretty solid attack. I'm gonna try out the 4 Rookies with Torps and get back to you (I don't have 4 shield upgrades yet). The tricky part is then deciding throughout the game whether to hold onto the TL in hopes of firing your torpedoes later.

One of the guys I play with has been running Luke, wedge and two Rookies.  Its nasty because he can fly them well.  In the Manitowoc Regional he missed Semis only  because of tie breakers.

I'm going to fly Wedge+PTL+an R2, with three Rookies + an R2 today and see how it goes.  

This being said I've been flying Four Squints and destroying X-wings because the X-wings can't out maneuver the squints. 

This being said I've been flying Four Squints and destroying X-wings because the X-wings can't out maneuver the squints. 

Interesting. I may have to save up for two more squints when they hit store shelves again this month. I don't want to derail the thread from X-wings too much, but how are your 4 squints kitted out?

This is the list I've been using.  Parakitor, if you want to talk about how I use this list start a new topic in Battle Reports, I'll reply.

32 points
Soontir Fel
Swarm Tactics, Stealth Device
27 points
Turr Phennir
Swarm Tactics
23 points
Saber Squadron Pilot
Swarm Tactics
18 points
Alpha Squadron Pilot

Sprolly G said:

The goal is to fire all torps ASAP, regardless if at range 3.

Imo, a hard first strike is just as good as those extra shields. If they swarm with all pilot skill-1 ties, then you're definitely in business. With a little luck, you could "even the score" right off the bat. Best scenario being, 4 torps, 4 destroyed ties in the first combat phase. Then your dogfighting skills need to take over and better be good, since there are no pilot traits. Also, there is nothing to forget, allowing you to concentrate fully on maneuvering and range.

Worst scenario being that your first combat phase is in range 1…

I think that you missed my point Sprolly - your goal may be to fire all torps ASAP but to do that you need a target lock. If you move your ships first on the first turn then when they take their actions the enemy aren't in range for a target lock. Without Deadeye or Veteran Instincts you won't get to fire torps in the first round. In the second round if your opponent has any sense they'll be at range 1 and you still can't fire the torps. 

Without some clever faking out/manouevring on your part or a serious error on the part of your opponent you won't be able to fire that initial torp volley.

Y'know, being at range 1 really isn't that bad for X-wings. In this scenario you still end up with 4 attack dice with Target Lock or Focus, so you've got a pretty solid attack. I'm gonna try out the 4 Rookies with Torps and get back to you (I don't have 4 shield upgrades yet). The tricky part is then deciding throughout the game whether to hold onto the TL in hopes of firing your torpedoes later.

Well said. Even then, you'll be able to focus while locked on your target. Even though the torps give an advantage, it's 4 dice no matter what range.

I flew four rookies in the Louisville, KY Regionals.

Rookie + R2-D2

Rookie + R5-D4

Rookie + R2 astro + torps

Rookie + Torps.

I went 2-2 with both victories sustaining 75% casualties. 

Game one (win) vs. Han Solo+Falcon+cluster and Tycho+PTL+Missiles(can't remember type)

Game two (loss) vs. Han, Wedge and Biggs

Game three (loss) vs Vader+PTL+Engine upgrade, Turr+PTL+shield, Soontir+PTL

Game four (Win) Han, Biggs and Luke

It was over a month ago so I cannot remember all of the details, though I do know that I will have to change how this squad is built.

ok, im gonna ive this a go this weekend...

Wedge + r2 astromech + Push The Limit

Biggs

2x Rookie Pilot

tactics will be 2 wings, rookies will be one with wedge+biggs on the other

thoughts?

I ran a list like that one. It's pretty powerful

I know this thread has been long dead, but I wanted to reopen it and see if anyone has been doing 4X at all, any more?

I'm pondering a list for an upcoming league.

Biggs + R2F2 + SD

Garven 

Rookie

Rookie

I come in from a corner with the Rookies next to eachother and Wedge behind them with Biggs on the outside with his base touching the edge of the board.

If you want a pic just let me know.

I come in from a corner with the Rookies next to eachother and Wedge behind them with Biggs on the outside with his base touching the edge of the board.

If you want a pic just let me know.

I'd be interested in seeing it, but I'm admittedly leaning toward

Garven + R2D2, Biggs + R2F2, Rookie x 2

This is a pic of how I set up, the setup is on the left corner of the board.

Two Rookies up front Wedge behind them and Biggs all the way left. When I move up I always move Biggs one slower, so if I move 3 Biggs moves 2.

When I make a cut or take a corner I do the same cause that way Biggs will keep defending Wedge but also one Rookie so my opponent can't shoot Wedge so he has to choose to take on the Rookie of Biggs at range 3. Sometimes they don't have a choice and have to split fire between the Rookie and Biggs and that is what I am looking for.

Remember I just played about 10 games so I am not an expert but this seems to work for me so far, went 5th in my first store champioship out of 18 so I think I did pretty good with it.

http://imageshack.com/a/img822/8290/ix76.jpg

Edited by Vissah

I know this thread has been long dead, but I wanted to reopen it and see if anyone has been doing 4X at all, any more?

I'm pondering a list for an upcoming league.

Biggs + R2F2 + SD

Garven 

Rookie

Rookie

I flew this yesterday in a store championship.  I used the one extra point left to put an R2 onto Garven.

Biggs is a lot more survivable when he's rolling 5 or 6 Defense Dice on the first round of shooting (2 native + 1 for range + 1 for R2-F2 +1 for Stealth, possibly +1 more if you get him behind a rock).  It's even better if Garven gets to shoot before the other player's ships, since then you also have a Focus token to modify results.

It does fairly well, as long as Biggs/Garven don't lose their actions and as long as Biggs survives at least two rounds of combat.

The Idea I had was 4x Red Squadron Pilots 2x w/ shield upgrades. I like the balance of the idea because they all move at once and all get to fire at once, however I haven't had a chance to test the idea yet.

That being said, any help strength or weakness wise of my idea would be much appreciated lol

So I ran my 4X's: Luke + R2F2 + DTF, Biggs, Rookie, Rookie; against a 6 TIE squad. 2 Academy, 2 Obsidian, 2 Interceptors. I was actually feeling pretty good going into the match, but I totally botched myself early and lost a rookie to some nice range 3 sniping by my opponent. 

I started in a 2 x 2 formation

Rookie   Rookie

Biggs     Luke

Now my opponent actually slow rolled his TIEs foward, hoping to sweep around with the Ints. I countered by veering left to meet them and was tactically sound to that point. The problem was that it left his TIEs at range 3 of my Rookie because he didn't move as fast as expected and therefore couldn't shoot at Biggs.

In the future, I think I will lay out something like:

Biggs    Rookie    Rookie

Luke

I'm playing in a league, so I know what list I will be facing next (Biggs, Ibi, Green) and I feel like jousting might favor me there.

I run 3 X Wings pretty regularly! I use Wes, Wedge and Luke and have varied my upgrades every time I have flown them! However, I'm settling in on two or three astromechs, shield upgrades and VI as The points allow. So far I'm 4-0 in four weeks of league! I have also used them in several casual games during the four weeks and haven't lost any of those either! I find extra shields between the upgrades and R2-D2 help with durability, high PS and 3 attack with 4 at range 1 along with TL help offensively and superior flying skills clinch the deal! LOL!

Edited by Plainsman

I last played

Luke + R2D2 + Engine Upgrade 

Wedge + R2 + Engine Upgrade + PTL

Biggs + droid

Played well against phantoms... 

There are Polish X-wing Championships coming in 2 weeks time any tips??:) 

Edited by Green Squadron 3

I have to agree with one of the local players here.  To many people know the X-wing dial and that alone makes their viability limited.  B's and E's seem like a better option.  X-wings have wonderful pilots but running them solo seems like a thing of the past.

I last played

Luke + R2D2 + Engine Upgrade 

Wedge + R2 + Engine Upgrade + PTL

Biggs + droid

Played well against phantoms... 

There are Polish X-wing Championships coming in 2 weeks time any tips?? :)

I like the addition of the engine upgrade to throw off other players.  

Do you think Luke Wes and wedge would be competitive in the current meta?

Well, I'll be flying them next Saturday in a tourney so I'll find out.

Wes w/VI

Luke w/VI & R2D2

Wedge w/PTL, R2 & Engine Upgrade

100 points.