Sign in to follow this  
Sprolly G

Straight X-wing's

commuterzombie said:

Sprolly G said:

The goal is to fire all torps ASAP, regardless if at range 3.

Imo, a hard first strike is just as good as those extra shields. If they swarm with all pilot skill-1 ties, then you're definitely in business. With a little luck, you could "even the score" right off the bat. Best scenario being, 4 torps, 4 destroyed ties in the first combat phase. Then your dogfighting skills need to take over and better be good, since there are no pilot traits. Also, there is nothing to forget, allowing you to concentrate fully on maneuvering and range.

Worst scenario being that your first combat phase is in range 1…

I think that you missed my point Sprolly - your goal may be to fire all torps ASAP but to do that you need a target lock. If you move your ships first on the first turn then when they take their actions the enemy aren't in range for a target lock. Without Deadeye or Veteran Instincts you won't get to fire torps in the first round. In the second round if your opponent has any sense they'll be at range 1 and you still can't fire the torps. 

Without some clever faking out/manouevring on your part or a serious error on the part of your opponent you won't be able to fire that initial torp volley.

No, I get it. The problem is that I only have 2 shield upgrades at the moment…I've won every game with 4 torps though, granted every opponent has fielded half academy ties…

Not that this thread needs another, "Me too!", but well… me too!

After messing around with a bunch of Wave 2-centric lists with fair to middlin' success, I've dusted off the old 4 X-Wing list I used from the KRT until Wave 2 dropped. It changes a bit from match to match with upgrades and whatnot, but it's usually Luke + R2-F2 and a combination of Reds and Rooks and their various upgrades/ droids/ whatever else. 

I tell ya man, I see Luke all but ignored, but that dude almost never dies on me. There's something to be said for that. 

I ran 4 X-Wing's in a tournament and placed in the top 3. The problem came in when trying to be tricky against an Interceptor with a pilot skill of 7 or 9 and push the limit on a 1 on 1 with a rookie X-Wing…Vader is the least of your worries with 1 or 2 skilled Interceptors…

I got worked by a 4 x-wing build. He had 2 rookies, biggs and wedge. And i believe swarm tactics on wedge. I got over zealous and my Y-wing Horton ended up getting obliterated by all 4 focus firing at him in one attack round, my A-wing was next after it fired a homing missle uselessly at biggs, i took out his wedge, and biggs was limping before my wedge was finally dropped.

That guy took first, and rightfully, his squad was solid, he flew them well, and made me rethink how painful rookie pilots can be with wedge and swarm tactics.

3 attack dice, 2 evade and 5 HP make the x-wing one of the most troublesome ships to deal with.

Silver leader said:

I got worked by a 4 x-wing build. He had 2 rookies, biggs and wedge. And i believe swarm tactics on wedge. I got over zealous and my Y-wing Horton ended up getting obliterated by all 4 focus firing at him in one attack round, my A-wing was next after it fired a homing missle uselessly at biggs, i took out his wedge, and biggs was limping before my wedge was finally dropped.

That guy took first, and rightfully, his squad was solid, he flew them well, and made me rethink how painful rookie pilots can be with wedge and swarm tactics.

3 attack dice, 2 evade and 5 HP make the x-wing one of the most troublesome ships to deal with.

i use swarm in most of my squads. i also put it on wedge or howlrunner if im running imperials :)

The_Brown_Bomber said:

Silver leader said:

i use swarm in most of my squads. i also put it on wedge or howlrunner if im running imperials :)

Only problem running wedge on a 4 X-Wing squadron is that he's priority #1. All Rookies kind of make it a, "Who cares" or "How much damage does that one have?" Scenario..

Sprolly G said:

The_Brown_Bomber said:

Silver leader said:

Only problem running wedge on a 4 X-Wing squadron is that he's priority #1. All Rookies kind of make it a, "Who cares" or "How much damage does that one have?" Scenario..

hes better of u have synergy built in to help him. something like…

2x rookie pilot, 1x biggs darklighter+r2f2, 1x Wedge+determination

2x rookie pilot, 1x Red Sqd Pilot, 1x wedge+r2d2+swarm

The_Brown_Bomber said:

Sprolly G said:

I stand strong by the 4 rookie setup. Then you have 16 points to play around with.

12 of those points could be advanced torps on two of them. Ouch. id throw r2d2 onboard one rookie with the remaining 4 pts :)

I don't think adv. torps are going to be worth it on an x-wing…You'll have to line it up to use a focus token as well..

Sprolly G said:

The_Brown_Bomber said:

Sprolly G said:

I stand strong by the 4 rookie setup. Then you have 16 points to play around with.

12 of those points could be advanced torps on two of them. Ouch. id throw r2d2 onboard one rookie with the remaining 4 pts :)

I don't think adv. torps are going to be worth it on an x-wing…You'll have to line it up to use a focus token as well..

i agree they r not optimal on a rookie x-wing but on Wedge with PTL? thats a different story.

The_Brown_Bomber said:

Sprolly G said:

The_Brown_Bomber said:

Sprolly G said:

i agree they r not optimal on a rookie x-wing but on Wedge with PTL? thats a different story.

That's a pricey loss…

I have a list I like to play. It's done pretty well in it's limited outings.

3x Rookies with Engine Upgrade

Biggs

It might be the odd tactics I use with it, but it has showed promise. And it's a lot of fun.

KarmikazeKidd said:

I have a list I like to play. It's done pretty well in it's limited outings.

3x Rookies with Engine Upgrade

Biggs

It might be the odd tactics I use with it, but it has showed promise. And it's a lot of fun.

engine upgrade over shield upgrade? r u sure? i think the xtra shield would be harder to deal with. u can boost or focus or target lock so that would mkae ur x-wings pretty undefended when u boost right?

Personal preference. To each his own I guess. Personally, I find having boost to be extremely useful. The extra maneuverability/speed on an Xwing is just downright fun. And it cuts out a good few K-turns. The extra shields would be nice, but I don't usually feel I need them, and Biggs helps with that. But I don't just fly at you in the Biggs bubble shield off the bat either. He usually just tries to weave in and out and protect rookies that get themselves in trouble over the course of the game. It's a fun way to play.

KarmikazeKidd said:

Personal preference. To each his own I guess. Personally, I find having boost to be extremely useful. The extra maneuverability/speed on an Xwing is just downright fun. And it cuts out a good few K-turns. The extra shields would be nice, but I don't usually feel I need them, and Biggs helps with that. But I don't just fly at you in the Biggs bubble shield off the bat either. He usually just tries to weave in and out and protect rookies that get themselves in trouble over the course of the game. It's a fun way to play.

oh cool. uv picked upgrades for a specific style of play, thats makes sense now. im not gr8 at keeping biggs alive for long but i tend to throw him to the wolves aerly on and holding him back at times could actually work well. i tried expert handling on wedge last time i played and loved it however it definitely took some gloss of his attacking prowess not having that focus. 

RedWilde said:

The Boost does sound like a fun option!  I've enjoyed flying 4 Rookies with Shield Upgrades.  Will have to take the Engine Upgrades out for a spin.

I tried running 2 shield and 2 boost and it was a pretty interesting game. Considering that putting boost on the X-Wing is Almost like putting earrings on a pig, it was still fun. I didn't end up getting to use boost as much as I would have liked, but that's what I get for trying to boost against a Tie swarm. That list ended up squeeking by with a win against 8 Academy pilots.

UPS man just dropped my fourth X-Wing, so I have not run this yet, but here is a list I'm thinking about:

Garven

Biggs + R2-F2

Red Squadron x2

With Biggs drawing fire, the Reds can spend their actions on TLs instead of focus, then Garven can kick a Focus to either one of them for a TL/Focus combo when facing elite pilots or to Biggs to bolster his defense against lower PS enemies.

COM 2D said:

UPS man just dropped my fourth X-Wing, so I have not run this yet, but here is a list I'm thinking about:

Garven

Biggs + R2-F2

Red Squadron x2

With Biggs drawing fire, the Reds can spend their actions on TLs instead of focus, then Garven can kick a Focus to either one of them for a TL/Focus combo when facing elite pilots or to Biggs to bolster his defense against lower PS enemies.

There's a thought. Isn't that only 96 points though? You have another 4 points to play with. Maybe put another shield on Biggs?

Sprolly G said:

COM 2D said:

Garven

Biggs + R2-F2

Red Squadron x2

There's a thought. Isn't that only 96 points though? You have another 4 points to play with. Maybe put another shield on Biggs?

It totals out to 100 points. Perhaps you're confusing the Red Squadrons with Rookies?