Sign in to follow this  
Mallesh

Naval Question

Mallesh said:

Can a character who is participating in a challenge and is standing, naval into the challenge to count its strength again?

Nope. A character cannot enter into the same challenge twice.

I don't think that's strictly true, Stormwolf. 

I'm fairly certain a character can enter a challenge as many times as they like, they just cannot be participating "twice" in that challenge (nor count their strength twice) - they are either participating or they are not. For instance, I believe Osha and Shield Island Dromond could result in Osha jumping in and out of a challenge an infinite number of times, if the controller so chose. 

I briefly browsed the FAQ to see if there were any rulings that contradict this, and I found none.

This does not contradict what Stormwolf is saying: a character that is currently in a challenge cannot enter it again, but a character that has been removed from a challenge can enter it again.

-Istaril said:

Right, but specifically a character *can* enter the same challenge twice, which contradicts stormwolf's wording (although, I suspect, not his intent).

Not with Naval, it can't. The rules for Naval say:

"Any time after an attack is declared, the attacking or defending player can kneel a non-participating character with a Naval enhancement on the matching challenge icon and declare it as a Naval attacker or defender in that challenge."

So, "not currently participating" is a play restrictions on the use of the Naval enhancement - which answers the original post/question with resounding "no."

Seeing as none of us are disagreeing, I'm clearly not expressing myself correctly.

I see entering a challenge, leaving it, and entering it again as "entering it twice" (although you only count your strength once, as I stated in my original reply), and so I wanted to clarify stormwolf's "cannot enter twice" comment. The ambiguity resulted from me not stating that I also understand that you cannot enter a challenge in which you're already participating (eg. specifically the naval ruling you quote).

Given that a character that is removed from a challenge is considered to have never participated in it at all, I think that's a hair that doesn't need to be split, especially since "entering it twice" does not imply the requisite "remove from participation before the second entry".