Sign in to follow this  
Suka044

Bookery Fantasy and Collectibles OH regional report.

i would have loved to post a regional report but i wouldn't know. i drove over 3 hours to come and play at this location and when i got there

i was told that since i didn't "pre register" which all that was was calling them and telling them i was playing that i couldn't play in the regional '

because they filled all the spots. filled all the spots? for a REGIONAL tournament? yeah they did. how many spots were filled for the tournament?

you might be thinking. 64? nope 32 perhaps? nope. only 16 people were alowed to play. after i had left and drove the 3+ hours home i was told 

turned away another 6 people. also was told by a few of my friends that were there that with 16 people they only played 3 rounds then did a cut to top 4 

because the guy running it "didn't want to be there all day" worst store ive ever been to. they clearly dont care about their players and should not be

allowed to run organized FFG events there anymore.  

A similar thing to this happened for the Kessel Run tournaments. A "gentleman" who runs a store out of his garage and the BGG marketplace was cleared for an event. He held it on a Sunday morning at 9:00 am in his garage and limited it to 8 people. You'd think FFG would do a better job of screening places when i know there a better stores applying for these event.

I was also a player that was turned away. I too have sent them an email about the situation and hope they are no longer able to hold events. I discuss the situation with another store in the dayton area that will be holding a regional (Epic Loot in Centerville). They have preregistration just to see how much interest is out there for their tournament but they would always find a way for people to play. (Preregister also get a discount which is nice).

We can't be too super mean about this sort of thing. We need space and stores to sell the game to continue getting a growth… But I've learned from many years of card game play: Don't take long trips till you're really sure there's space for ya' and that thye know you're coming… and you know where it is.. Word.

Since this incident did take place in Ohio, I feel I should mention:

This Saturday's Regional Qualifier for Northeast Ohio is taking place at Immortals, Inc. in Rocky River. I am TO-ing it (although not the store owner). I don't anticipate having to turn anybody away for space issues, but, if you are planning on going, please say so on the Facebook event page so we can get an accurate headcount:

https://www.facebook.com/events/535860139778677/