Sign in to follow this  
kmedlinnc

ToI Editor Update for Expansions?

Just wondering if there has been any news on getting the ToI editor updated for use with the latest expansions?  It looks like the last time it was updated was in 2007 well before Days of the Fox & Normandy were released.

kmedlinnc said:

Just wondering if there has been any news on getting the ToI editor updated for use with the latest expansions?  It looks like the last time it was updated was in 2007 well before Days of the Fox & Normandy were released.

yeppa, a new editor would be definitely cool. i would really like to design a north-africa scenario... ;-)

I have a scenario I've been working on for a while that uses normandy boards. Could it be published with a photo of the actual map and the needed text in a .pdf? Or is there an issue I'm not seeing?

Cyscott1 said:

I have a scenario I've been working on for a while that uses normandy boards. Could it be published with a photo of the actual map and the needed text in a .pdf? Or is there an issue I'm not seeing?

You could do that, I think. Someone did something like that with the 'Ruweisat Ridge' scenario, that uses the Days of the Fox expansion. You could look it up and see how the author proceeded. It would certainly be nice to see more scenarios using the expansions.

Is FFG opposed to scans of the boards?  That'd make things significantly easier.

All we'd need to do is make a "map pack" that'd basically be scans of the boards and terrain overlays.  Then we'd just do a directory structure like this:

/maps
/maps_map-pack1
/overlays
/DoF/maps
/DoF/overlays
/Normandy/maps
/Normandy/overlays

Zip it all up and anyone with GIMP could stitch together their own maps pretty easily.

Since this wouldn't allow someone to play the game (no cards, unit graphics, etc.) I don't think FFG would be opposed to it.

Ideally it would come from FFG, but really anyone with a scanner could quickly do the scans.  I'd be happy to do a quick writeup on how to make the maps, and to make some of the other graphics (putting red outlines around the overlays, command markers, etc.)

I'd actually be willing to do it all, but I don't have a scanner.

I would be willing to do the scans if FFG says it is ok. The only problem is at this time I have a scanner but my system totally crashed and I have purchased a new system (drool...) that is shipping from Dell. I am expecting its arrival in the next 2-3 weeks. If nobody steps up before that I will assist you. What resolution would you prefer?

The highest resolution possible would be best even if the filesizes are huge.  It's going to take some playing around with to get the best filesizes, etc. to make it all work.  I'm tossing around getting a scanner to just do it myself anyway.

Ken on Cape said:

Another thing I would like to see is updated sheets for the different armys. All the units from the different expansions on the same sheet.

You can use my Experimental Unit Stat list, all the stats from all units already published by FFG are on there, too, with a slightly shaded background to differentiate them from the experimental ones.

KlausFritsch said:

Ken on Cape said:

Another thing I would like to see is updated sheets for the different armys. All the units from the different expansions on the same sheet.

You can use my Experimental Unit Stat list, all the stats from all units already published by FFG are on there, too, with a slightly shaded background to differentiate them from the experimental ones.

That sounds interesting. Are those stats publicly available? Where?

Did anyone ever find out if it was ok with FFG to scan the boards and put them online? I know there are photos of them on BGG but not hi res scans. I have the means to make scenarios this way using scans and an image editor but unsure if it would be legal or not.

IcantExplain said:

KlausFritsch said:

Ken on Cape said:

That sounds interesting. Are those stats publicly available? Where?

They are. I typically forgot to mention that they are in the scenario section here.

KlausFritsch said:

Ken on Cape said:

I have uploaded an updated version of the Experimental Unit Stat list to the scenario page.