Sign in to follow this  
Vaapad

When Revealed resolution: Valar and Many Powers Long Asleep

I swear I've seen the answer to this, but I couldn't find it in a forum search or in the FAQ.  If it's a RTFR, my apologies.

Player A reveals Valar, Player B reveals Many Powers Long Asleep (when revealed, put a Holy character into play from your dead pile).  Player B has Melisendre in play and Shadow Enchantress in his dead pile.

Player B wins initiative and chooses Valar to go off first.  Two questions:

1) After Melisendre is killed by Valar, is she in the dead pile in time for B to put her back into play with Many Powers?  I think I remember reading that the answer is no because Mel is in play moribund:dead until all when revealed effects fully reseolve.

2) Assuming (1) is correct, if after Valar goes off B puts Shadow Enchantress into play from the dead pile, will Shadow Enchantress survive the Valar, or does Valar's effect some how last through the end of the When Revealed effecet resolutions?  

Thanks!

Vaapad said:

I swear I've seen the answer to this, but I couldn't find it in a forum search or in the FAQ.  If it's a RTFR, my apologies.

Player A reveals Valar, Player B reveals Many Powers Long Asleep (when revealed, put a Holy character into play from your dead pile).  Player B has Melisendre in play and Shadow Enchantress in his dead pile.

Player B wins initiative and chooses Valar to go off first.  Two questions:

1) After Melisendre is killed by Valar, is she in the dead pile in time for B to put her back into play with Many Powers?  I think I remember reading that the answer is no because Mel is in play moribund:dead until all when revealed effects fully reseolve.

2) Assuming (1) is correct, if after Valar goes off B puts Shadow Enchantress into play from the dead pile, will Shadow Enchantress survive the Valar, or does Valar's effect some how last through the end of the When Revealed effecet resolutions?  

Thanks!

1) You're correct. She's moribund until all plots have resolved, all passives thereafter have resolved, and all responses thereafter, so she's not in the Dead Pile.

2) Shadow Enchantress will survive the valar (she wasn't around when it resolved). Valar still resolves completely before Many Powers Long Asleep does, which shouldn't be confused with the fact that characters killed by valar don't hit the deadpile until closing the response window.

Note I said "around when it resolved", because in the case of Valar, you don't actually have to be around when it initiated. As the FAQ illustrates, if you put Darkstar into play by discarding him for a MAester of the Sun trying ot save from a Valar, Darkstar will still die - because he's around before the resolution of the valar.

Short-hand rule-of-thumb for resolving "when revealed" plot effect:

Effect #1 must resolve completely before effect #2 can initiate.

The moribund stuff is RTFR, but that's like saying determining how to calculate the basis for capital gains tax is RTFR. (Just because you read the rules doesn't mean it makes sense right away.)