Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hothie

My Regionals Report

122 posts in this topic

Oh man. I'll be in Minneapolis when the Hawks come to town for game 3…ooohh how I want to go to that game. But, I have a Regional to play in, so I'll be wearing my Chelios jersey all day long for luck. Let's go Hawks!!!!!

Well today was day 1 of the FFG Regional event. First off, thank you so much to the FFG staff for running such a smooth event. We had 44 people start the tournament. 44 people!!!!!! Nearly all of the tables were being used for most of the day. And from what I could see, everyone was having a good time and making friends. So, onto the good stuff:

I've been working on a squad I call "Additional Damage". The squad is:

Howlrunner with Squad Leader
Bounty Hunter with Assault Missiles and Seismic Charges
Bounty Hunter with Assault Missiles and Seismic Charges

The theory is that I move 1 BH, take a focus, move the other, take focus, then my opponent's high skill pilots will move, then Howl will move and use Squad Leader to allow 1 BH to take a TL and use its assault missiles with a focus. Then next round, rinse and repeat. The Assault Missiles by themselves are less likely to hit without the focus token. But with focus, they are more likely to hit and do splash damage. Then, when my opponent gets behind me afterwards, I drop the Seismic Charges and do more non-attack damage. Howl is there for Squad leader and her ability. If I get any offense out of her, that is just a bonus. And the additional damage came up big for me today.

Round 1 was against Erich. He ran: Soontir Fel with Determination, Howlrunner with Expert handling, Mauler Mithel with Determination, and Maarek Steele with Cluster Missiles and marksmanship. (I have pics on my phone. I'll load them when we get back home tomorrow.)
This squad really seemed like the upgrades weren't the best for the given ships. I was able to missile mauler and splashed maarek. The other BH finished him off. One of his Cluster missiles missed, then I was able to seismic maarek to get his shields down without even attacking him. He took howlrunner out. I took out Maarek and his howk out due to bad evade dice rolls, so then it was down to fel vs 2 BH's. Fel didn't last long. 1-0.

Round 2 was against Alexander. He ran: Wedge with Proton Torps, Green squad Pilot with Cluster Missiles, Gold Squadron Pilot with Ion Cannon, and Rookie Pilot. I was able to Assault Missile his Rookie Pilot when he had all 3 of his other ships at range 1 of him, then i used a seismic to hit hit ywing. Wedge dodged the other seismic with some deft maneuvering. He had some bad evade dice, and wedge went down. He took Howl out, but once Wedge was gone, it was just a matter of time before I had all of his ships down but his awing, who only had 1 hull left vs 2 BH's. He conceded. 2-0

Round 3 was against Sean, who ran Han with Marksmanship and Gunner, and 2 Gold Sq Pilots with Ion Cannon. Those Ion cannons were deadly, as he hit nearly every time with them. I got 1 missile off, with 1 splash,and 1 seismic off, which hit his ywing. He took out howlrunner, I took Han out. This was a really close game, as when it was 2 BH's vs 2 Y's, it was 10 hp vs 10 hp, then 6hp vs 6hp, then 5hp vs 5hp. Eventually my higher pilot skill and better attack and evade numbers won out, but it was very close. 3-0

Round 4 was vs Matt B, with Lando with Determination, Nien Nunb, and Gunner, and Chewbacca with Veteran Instincts, MF title,and Gunner. The determination came up big on Lando, cause he avoided 2 crits in one turn because of it. both missiles splashed him, and 1 seismic charge hit both of his ships. He took Howl out, I took chewie out, then it was 2 BH's vs Lando, so I ended up winning. 4-0

Round 5, at the end of a very long day, was against another of the players that was 4-0, Matt (H?, i think). He ran 3 Bounty Hunters, and he was the only loss of CommanderScrappy, my playtester, who made 4th today. The was a slugfest. Both missiles hit, he took 1 splash, and I actually took 2 from those, then I dropped both seismics in one turn, and hit all 3 of his ships. He took Howlrunner out, and I took one BH out. One of my BH's got the "PS0" crit, so that changed the dynamic with that one going before his did. (He had init due to being at 99, so his BH's moved and attacked before mine.) In the end it came down to my bh with 4 hull left vs his bh with 2 hull left, and I won.

So, I ended up with the top seed. The final 8 start tomorrow at 10:30, single elimination. Commanderscrappy finished with the 4th seed. I will be playing the 2YT list again first match tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to that. 2YT's is the top local meta squad, and my squad just eats them up. We'll see tomorrow, though. Because he may not want to run lando and Chewie at Range 1 like he did earlier.

On a personal note, I'm really happy with how I've been flying my firesprays. I think I did really well today with my firing arcs, avoiding asteroids and collisions, and just in general flying well to get some good shots off. We'll see what tomorrow brings. For now, though, it's time to crash.

It seems odd that people know you have assault missles, yet seem to allow you to hit multiple ships with them. Especially the 2x YT list. Having turrets, other than for Lando's ability, they have no need to come anywhere close to each other.  Similarly, with 3x BH, why was he running all 3 within range 1 of a single BH, when he knew you had assault missles and seismic charges?

Not to knock your skill Hothie, but from your quick notes it sounds like your opponents really didn't adjust their strategy based on the list you had. i.e. they made some pretty big tactical mistakes.

You're exactly right. Most people are good at running their ships at range 1 to each other, especially with biggs, howlrunner, lando, swarm tactics, etc. So they build their squads accordingly. No one practices staying at range 2 to each other. Let me say that again, NO ONE practices staying at range 2 to each other.  Everyone i faced yesterday ran their squad the way they knew how to run it, and that played into my advantage with my missiles. But if they alter their tactics and split their squads up, that also plays to my advantage, because then they won't get their abilities, like lando, and they won't focus fire as much. Plus, they are used to running their squads a certain way, so changing from that is difficult for many people. They played their squads how they were comfortable playing them. So either if they play that way, my missiles will do extra damage to them, which is good for me. Or I take them out of their comfort zone and they fly differently, which is also good for me because now they have to change up their tactics. That's one of the reasons I really like this squad.

Also it seems the people I played against are still in the "kill howlrunner" mentality. She died first in every game. Honestly, after the first pass, I don't care if she's out there or not. She's just a bonus to the BH's. Mainly she's there to make sure the missiles hit with my BH's having both tl and focus. Once the missiles are gone, I'm fine if she dies, but if she doesn't, I'll still use her ability as best as I can, but I don't count on it. And like I said, any offense out of her is a bonus.

So, today was the top 8 at the FFG Regionals.

Quarterfinals was against Matt B, the 2 YT squad I faced yesterday. He changed his tactics up, starting Chewie and Lando far away from each other. That was fine, I just went after Chewie. I focused on Chewie, he had some great maneuvers, and overall played better than he did yesterday. Niether missile splashed, and the seismic didn't hit. I did manage to keep Chewie on an asteroid for 2 turns while Howl finished him off, then my squad ganged up on Lando. It was closer than yesterday, as Howl had 1 hull left, BH had 1 hull left, and the other BH had 4 hull left. So I won that one.

Semifinals was against Commanderscrappy, my playtester, and I figured if anyone had a chnace to beat me, it was him. He ran: Chewbacca with Draw Their Fire, Wedge with R2 astro and Swarm tactics, and Biggs. It is a squad that he has beaten me in the past with, and he is very familiar with my squad, having faced it numerous times. My first assault missile hit all 3 of his ships.  I managed to kill Biggs with a seismic, I think, after he only attacked once. We did a lot of cat and mousing around, and it came down to Chewie vs 1 BH. But I outlasted him in the hit point category, as my BH had 3 or 4 left in the end. But it was a close game nonetheless.

Final match was against Dave, who ran a 7 TIE swarm. He ran Howlrunner with Stealth, Backstabber, Obsidian x3, and AP x2. I was looking forward to facing a TIE swarm with 2 Assault Missiles and 2 Seismic charges. But I fell victim to my own comfort level. I should have changed up my tactics based on the squad I was facing, and I didn't. I ran headlong into him, and his TIEs blocked me and pummeled me a lot more than they should have. I did manage to hit with both missiles, but I got one off early, and one off late. I did take out Backstabber with a seismic charge, but all in all, I did too much damage to myself with the missiles and charges. he ended up winning, but he had Howl at 1 hull, AP at 1 hull, and AP at 3 hull in the end. It was an epic match, but I should have played it differently. 

So I lost in the final game. I came home with tons of swag, including a kotobukiya Boba Fett statue, who now has his gun aimed at the kotobukiya Jaina statue on the same shelf.  It was a fun and exhausting weekend. Thanks again to the FFG crew for putting on a great event. See you all again in November!

awesome reports hothie. epic few days huh? thanx for sharing. congrats on ur success making it all the way to the final :) no easy feat with such a strong fiels of squads. i commend u on ur elegant list. very innovative :)

i really wish we had more organised tournamnets here in New Zealand where i live. we had a kessel run last yr in my home city but things have dried up since them. im hooked in with a cool bunch of casual players tho so its not all bad.

I had a very similar list at our regional. I was playing two bouty hunters with Heavy Laser Canon along with Howlrunner + Squad Leader. Before, I've tried a list with Bobba and Kath, but running only two ships was not that great. Howlrunner makes for a great target! While our regionals only had 6 players (Don't ask me why), my only mistake was to underestimate Soontir Fel + PTL + Stealth. My only loss came to him vs a bouty hunter. He was toying with it. My lack of experience was my downfall, I would have blown him to piece first pass knowing he was that good.

Great reports.. Thanks! And, congrats for comming in second in such a large and competative field. 

I think it is great that there was such diversity throughout… the finals had 2 YT squads, your Firespray squad, and a TIE Swarm.  So, 2 imperial, 2 rebel, 3 with large ships, 1 without, and interstingly the one with just wave 1 ships ended up winning. That speaks well for the state of the game and the care FFG has put into keeping things balanced to date. 

I thought the balance was great for the tournament, I only faced the same build once ( 3 firesprays).  I faced 5 imperial to 2 rebel squads but I am not sure  what the mix was for the tournament. I know in the finals it was either 6-2 or 5-3 imperials though. 2 double YT, 3 triple Firespray, double firespray  & one tie, yt-1300 & 2x and I can't remeber the last squad. I can't say it enough how impressed I was by the level of competition at this event. FFG runs a great tournament and every opponent I had was a class act.

CommanderScrappy said:

I know in the finals it was either 6-2 or 5-3 imperials though. 2 double YT, 3 triple Firespray, double firespray  & one tie, yt-1300 & 2x and I can't remeber the last squad.

Um, TIE swarm?

hothie said:

CommanderScrappy said:

I know in the finals it was either 6-2 or 5-3 imperials though. 2 double YT, 3 triple Firespray, double firespray  & one tie, yt-1300 & 2x and I can't remeber the last squad.

Um, TIE swarm?

DUh, my brain must still be fuzzy from lack of sleep. 

Congrats on your 2nd place in mn. Hothie i was in the tournament but entered last minute. But with two a wings and two x wings against soonter fel and or the yt's i had really no chance i will build better for the next tour. Btw i am not really sorry that the hawks lost. Lol as i am a wild fan. But no hard feelings on that i hope.

Thanks for the detailed reports Hothie! I have to admit that I was watching this thread to see how the FFG regionals went for you since I was pretty sure you'd be running the Additional Damage squad (that you beat me on Vassal with). I also have to admit that I thought VERY seriously about picking up a second Firespray (I want the Gunner anyway) and attempting something similar at my regional, but ended up running the exact same squad that faced your Additional Damage squad on Vassal because I was more comfortable with it (Chewie+Gunner+MF; Wedge+Swarm; Rookie). Anyway, congrats on the second place! I'd definitely love to see this squad show up again at the FFG World Championship Weekend! Although…by then we might have Wave 3 ships in our hands and that is likely to be a game changer….

wackydave said:

Congrats on your 2nd place in mn. Hothie i was in the tournament but entered last minute. But with two a wings and two x wings against soonter fel and or the yt's i had really no chance i will build better for the next tour. Btw i am not really sorry that the hawks lost. Lol as i am a wild fan. But no hard feelings on that i hope.

That's it! Let's go! *throws down gloves*…

:P yep, was a sad day for me. I lost in the finals, and the Hawks lost in OT. But it was a great tournament, and there were many good players. It was definitely a high-caliber tournament for sure, and with 44 people, by far the largest I've seen for this game. I'm glad the game is alive and kicking in MN. Hope to see you again soon! :)

El_Tonio said:

Great reports.. Thanks! And, congrats for comming in second in such a large and competative field. 

I think it is great that there was such diversity throughout… the finals had 2 YT squads, your Firespray squad, and a TIE Swarm.  So, 2 imperial, 2 rebel, 3 with large ships, 1 without, and interstingly the one with just wave 1 ships ended up winning. That speaks well for the state of the game and the care FFG has put into keeping things balanced to date. 

I agree, it is totally Awesome that an old fashioned Tie Swarm was able to win it all in a field that large, diverse and thick with Falcons, Firesprays, Assault Missiles and Seismic Charges.

Here's my belated regional report from Lemoyne, PA…..I made the 80 mile trip to play in the tourney, it was the second Star Wars event that day at, "That Game Place", we had 17 players (excellent) turnout, IMO, with participants from Michigan, Maryland, Virginia, and New York in attendance.

4 rounds total

My squad:

Chewie 

~marksmanship, gunner, merc co-pilot

Gold Squadron pilot 

~ION turret

Rookie Pilot

~Shield upgrade

100 pts

****The round descriptions are the best of my recollection.****

Round 1

Versus HSF squad, it was close but I pulled out the W.

1-0

Round 2

versus tie swarm with Vader, howlrunner, mauler, and some avengers and academy guys….they were flown by the son of the guy from round one.

This game had one of those rounds where the player sets the dials for the opposite turn by mistake, totally took him out of the game around round 3-4….

2-0

Round 3

Verse Chewie, and two rooks? This was a very close game! I was actually on the ropes, until I put the second ion token on his Chewie and forced him so close to the edge he couldn't recover….he flew off the board the following round by about a 1/4 inch.  After that, chased down the remaining ship.

3-0

Round 4 (Championship)

verse another Chewie, y-wing, and x-wing.  After the previous game, I was concerned about Chewie negating my squad's crit dealing ability.  I had, what I thought was a critical error in the 3rd round, got my YT close to the edge, so close in fact, I was dreading the movement phase in the 4th.  Fortunately, I made the 1 hard turn, by about an 1/8 inch! That allowed me to refocus and get back in the game.  He sent his Chewie after my Y-wing (my Chewie was out of the fight for a couple rounds), the gold squadron pilot earned a promotion during this engagement, he had previously tagged Chewie with an ion token…it had been on for close to 4 or 5 rounds at this time when Chewie, in his relentless pursuit he had him facing the edge (he still could make the turn though) when the Y hit him with the second ion token and he ended up flying off the board with 8 hull left.  After that, the Gold Sq and Chewie finished off his last Ywing.

Overall, excellent match!

4-0, Regional Champion

~Ron

jetsetter said:

Here's my belated regional report from Lemoyne, PA…..I made the 80 mile trip to play in the tourney, it was the second Star Wars event that day at, "That Game Place", we had 17 players (excellent) turnout, IMO, with participants from Michigan, Maryland, Virginia, and New York in attendance.

4 rounds total

My squad:

Chewie 

~marksmanship, gunner, merc co-pilot

Gold Squadron pilot 

~ION turret

Rookie Pilot

~Shield upgrade

100 PTSD

Congrats on going 4-0! That list sounds very familiar. Did you happen to play in any other regional tournaments recently?

jetsetter said:

I took that list to the San Antonio tournament, went 2-2, lost to a couple of HSF squads.

Yes! I knew I recognized that squad. I was at that tournament in fact running the Chewie + Wedge + Rookie squad (we played each other in the last round). Congrats on the win at the PA regionals btw!

Thanks for the report Hothie, well played!   I wish I could have made it, but there will be others.  Congrats on your 2nd place victory.  

-Tom