Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hothie

My Regionals Report

122 posts in this topic

DeadInkPen said:

Sorry I meant AP instead of Dark Curse. Was doing one that was Krassius instead of Bobba and that one had Dark Curse. 

OK that makes sense then!

Zig you surprise me. I thought for sure you woud jump on the Kath vs Ion cannon interaction.

DeadInkPen, I hate to say it, but I don't think you're playing that one by the rules, either. I just looked through 14 pages of Rules threads on here (checked AFM, too), but I couldn't find it asked anywhere, so I may be wrong about this.

I think since Kath is the one attacking with the Ion Cannon, and the Ion Cannon card cancels the crit results, technically the defender isn't the one cancelling the results, so I don't think Kath's ability works in this case. Kath's card specifies if the defender cancels the result, and the Ion Cannon card says "suffers 1 damage…Then cancel ALL dice results." So, I don't think the ship would get a stress token from an Ion attack.

Otherwise, though, glad it played well for you. :) I may take another look at Boba with VI, as I did do okay with him. I just needed to have a better supporting cast.

And the invitation is still out for May 4th if you can make it. I'm not sure exactly how far the drive is for you, maybe too far, but lots of us are staying at hte Radisson.

hothie said:

Zig you surprise me. I thought for sure you woud jump on the Kath vs Ion cannon interaction.

DeadInkPen, I hate to say it, but I don't think you're playing that one by the rules, either. I just looked through 14 pages of Rules threads on here (checked AFM, too), but I couldn't find it asked anywhere, so I may be wrong about this.

I think since Kath is the one attacking with the Ion Cannon, and the Ion Cannon card cancels the crit results, technically the defender isn't the one cancelling the results, so I don't think Kath's ability works in this case. Kath's card specifies if the defender cancels the result, and the Ion Cannon card says "suffers 1 damage…Then cancel ALL dice results." So, I don't think the ship would get a stress token from an Ion attack.

Otherwise, though, glad it played well for you. :) I may take another look at Boba with VI, as I did do okay with him. I just needed to have a better supporting cast.

And the invitation is still out for May 4th if you can make it. I'm not sure exactly how far the drive is for you, maybe too far, but lots of us are staying at hte Radisson.

Oooooh, that's splittin' a hair… but you may be right. Better submit a question on that one.

Speaking of which, has anybody gotten any rulings lately from submitted questions? I know there are some other threads here awaiting some official rulings on contentious questions. Over on the card game forum the rulings usually come pretty fast, but there's been nothing here on some questions for a week or more. I wonder if they are getting ready to issue another FAQ before the Regionals season begins next week?

Hothie,

You may be right on that one. I thought it was going that the critial hit that was evaded was considered cancelled before calculating the hits that made it, then the Ion cannon's card text took over. Definately going to have to submit that as a question to FFG. Hopefully the delay is an updated FAQ. 

I really want to be there on the 4th, but I have to be at a local convention here for the weekend as I am in charge of a room. I only live about four hours away from there. I am definately planning on attending worlds this year. If you and Zig are there lets go out for a drink. Plus hopefully I will have my plastic manuever dials made up by then to show them to you.

DeadInkPen said:

Kath went next with the Ion, two crits rolled X-wing got only 1 evade. So I was happy a stress and an Ion token on an X-Wing right on the first combat.

This was played right, and Kath's ability kicked in - the defender's evade cancelled a crit. I also think hothie has a point, if the evade had cancelled a regular hit and the Ion cancelled everything else, her ability would not have kicked in.

Sorry to not see you on May the Fourth, but hope to see you at Worlds - I'll claim that beverage. My biggest problem is that hothie is going to the same regionals I am - I'm not sure how much of a chance I'll have. My partner, though, has not lost to him yet! reir (dig)

Yeah, I think you played that right, given that scenario. In the "comparing dice results" step is when dice get cancelled, and it sounds like a crit was cancelled in that step. I thought you were cancelliing them from the Ion hit instead, but it sounds like you played it right if that was the case.

And I hope you have a good time at your con. We'll definitely have to get together at Worlds. And Zig is absolutely right. She is 3-0 against me, so I'm not the one you should be gunning for *waves hand*

But, on topic, I was thinking about Fett with VI last night, and came up with this:

Boba Fett with Veteran Instincts and Seismic Charge (42)
Bounty Hunter with HLC (40)
Mauler Mithel with Veteran Instincts (18)

That's a 10, 9, 3. Seismic charge is really nice on Fett because you already know where your opponent's ships are when you place it. I could put the HLC on Fett, but that gets to all of my eggs in one basket, and he becomes the target immediately. Putting HLC on the Bounty Hunter means I can lose 1 ship and still have 2 good attackers left. Mauler will likely go down first, but I try to get a trade for him before he goes. I kinda like this version. It combines many of the concepts I have been practicing with all in one squad.

I keep practicing flying this squad, and I'm finding that I'm having a hard time with the Bounty Hunter moving first, but me wanting to keep him in the back for more effective HLC shots. I may have to change up my starting somehow so that he's facing sideways or something, so that Boba and MM can take a turn getting in front of him more easily. I dunno. I may get to play a practice game Thursday and see how it goes.

And I wanted to rant, and I will keep the rant on my thread so that I don't have to start another thread somewhere, and also those of you actually reading this will get to see my thinking on this issue. It regards TIEs with Stealth. I learned long ago that Stealth device WILL go away on whatever ship you have. It is nice thinking about TIEs with 4 (or more) defense dice, but you know what? Han can one-shot a TIE with or without Stealth Device. When you equip your TIEs with Stealth, now you are relying on good defense rolls, and in this game, the dice favor the attacker. It is just not a smart idea to rely on your defense to help you win matches with this game. I've rolled badly so many times with defense dice that I've learned not to rely on them at all, and instead go for offense. I see so many people thinking that just putting Stealth Device on their TIEs makes them invincible, and it just doesn't work. They will still go down with 3 hits. I see people building squads of Interceptors with Stealth Device, thinking that they are the best squad ever. And they have 12 hp. I only need to put 12 hits on you, and the game is over. And the dice favor the attacker. I dunno, I guess I've moved past the "I have a shiny new ship, how can I trick it out?" stage and moved onto the "Don't rely on defense" stage of playing. I guess I've learned the hard way that rolling 4 blanks on defense isn't all that hard to do.

hothie said:

I keep practicing flying this squad, and I'm finding that I'm having a hard time with the Bounty Hunter moving first, but me wanting to keep him in the back for more effective HLC shots. I may have to change up my starting somehow so that he's facing sideways or something, so that Boba and MM can take a turn getting in front of him more easily. I dunno. I may get to play a practice game Thursday and see how it goes.

And I wanted to rant, and I will keep the rant on my thread so that I don't have to start another thread somewhere, and also those of you actually reading this will get to see my thinking on this issue. It regards TIEs with Stealth. I learned long ago that Stealth device WILL go away on whatever ship you have. It is nice thinking about TIEs with 4 (or more) defense dice, but you know what? Han can one-shot a TIE with or without Stealth Device. When you equip your TIEs with Stealth, now you are relying on good defense rolls, and in this game, the dice favor the attacker. It is just not a smart idea to rely on your defense to help you win matches with this game. I've rolled badly so many times with defense dice that I've learned not to rely on them at all, and instead go for offense. I see so many people thinking that just putting Stealth Device on their TIEs makes them invincible, and it just doesn't work. They will still go down with 3 hits. I see people building squads of Interceptors with Stealth Device, thinking that they are the best squad ever. And they have 12 hp. I only need to put 12 hits on you, and the game is over. And the dice favor the attacker. I dunno, I guess I've moved past the "I have a shiny new ship, how can I trick it out?" stage and moved onto the "Don't rely on defense" stage of playing. I guess I've learned the hard way that rolling 4 blanks on defense isn't all that hard to do.

Even before i got the game home from Gencon my friends and I saw that high Agility scores are not a subsitiute for Shields.  You can and will "biff" in this game.  A "biffed" attack roll doesn't destroy the attacking ship, but a "biffed" defense roll will get you killed.  It is why I didn't ever agree with the Math-Wing discussions of Wave 1. 

I just had a conversation with my friend last week as how people take Stealth Device as a gaurentee.  I see players yank there hair out when they Stealth Device gets knocked out by a random throw away shot, but that's going to happen.  As you are saying it just isn't the best idea to stack defense and think yourself unhittable.  I think we played a game today where noone rolled more then 1 evade on any single roll. 

Only Shields and Hull can save you in the end.  Thats not to say the Stealth Device is bad, but it isn't an absolute. 

ScottieATF said:

Only Shields and Hull can save you in the end.  Thats not to say the Stealth Device is bad, but it isn't an absolute. 

And the Evade action. Granted it's an action to assist defense when we're just discussing the game favours the attacker, but it's a guarenteed 1 hit absorbed, like a shield … that recharges every action.

I do like the synergy of Han Solo + Gunner/Luke being practically action independant, leaving the Millennium Falcon upgrade for defense. Hmm, maybe I should fly my Firesprays a bit more like that.

I was flying a 4 interceptor squad with stealth trying to practice for regionals, and after playing about 12 games with and without stealth devices I was finding that the ships lasted just as long, about two hits, regardless who was flying, on average.  I dropped the stealths and just added in a 5 interceptor and now I have better results over the long term, more hits total and more shots fired for better results.  I love the idea of stealth devices, but for 3 pts I can find a more cost efficient option.

This is becoming my "Imperial List" of choice. It needs some flying time, but it has potential.

Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: Academy Pilot 1
Tie Fighter (12)
Upgrades:

• No Upgrades Selected

Pilot: Kath Scarlet
Firespray-31 (38)
Upgrades:

• Marksmanship (3)
  • Mercenary Copilot (2)
  • Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Pilot: Bounty Hunter 1
Firespray-31 (33)
Upgrades:

• Gunner (5)

The Kath set up should allow me to pound on my enemy and/or stress them.

As I read it, you roll for the HLC and change any crits to hits. Then change any eyeballs with Marksmenship. Then I can apply the Merc co-pilot (range 3) to get a crit back, should make her quite nasty.

The Bounty Hunter takes his chances with the Gunner re-roll, but should not be underestimated and as you want to make range 1, moving early is OK.

The acadamy pilot is cannon fodder, but if ignored may get into a position at range 1 to annoy another ship from outside the opponents shooting arc.

Englishpete said:

This is becoming my "Imperial List" of choice. It needs some flying time, but it has potential.

Total Squad Points: 100

Tie Fighter (12)
Upgrades:

• No Upgrades Selected

Firespray-31 (38)
Upgrades:

• Marksmanship (3)
  • Mercenary Copilot (2)
  • Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Pilot: Bounty Hunter 1
Firespray-31 (33)
Upgrades:

• Gunner (5)

The Kath set up should allow me to pound on my enemy and/or stress them.

As I read it, you roll for the HLC and change any crits to hits. Then change any eyeballs with Marksmenship. Then I can apply the Merc co-pilot (range 3) to get a crit back, should make her quite nasty.

The Bounty Hunter takes his chances with the Gunner re-roll, but should not be underestimated and as you want to make range 1, moving early is OK.

The acadamy pilot is cannon fodder, but if ignored may get into a position at range 1 to annoy another ship from outside the opponents shooting arc.

From what I've found, and this is purely my own opinion, is that gunner is not as good as people think on a Firespray. Usually when I fly them, I take Target Lock, and that works just fine. You can make arguments for having a gunner, like if you get blocked, or taking the evade action instead, but usually Target Lock works just fine on a Firespray in place of a gunner. i think for the points, I'd rather upgrade the Academy Pilot to mauler or something to make him a little more offensive. Just my thoughts.

Hothie,

I like enjoy how we have almost similar thought processes on some of these things. I completely agree with you on Stealth Device. I never really used it, because I prefer added mobility from playing RPGs and other tabletop games that allow it. I am a big fan of Engine Upgrade, but since I like the Imperial side of X-Wing a lot more its kind of useless with the barrel roll option. The best defence in this game is positioning not to be hit or hit by as limited number of ships as possible. I have used Engine Upgrade on the Rebel side to boost out of multiple fire arcs into one to two before. But I have faced a lot of people around my area who swear by Stealth Device, but none of them has won any of the local tournaments with a squad full of them. Have one guy who keeps on telling me well you could roll bad on an attack then I reply to him the same about defence and give him the break down of how the dice favor the attacker. He still hasn't learned even though his all stealth interceptor squad never wins. Though now he is doing Han with Biggs using R2F2 and Stealth and an A-wing.

Again I agree with you on the Gunner and Firespray. I was using that combo for a bit, but wasn't getting to use its ability all that often, so I ended up ditching it. Though I do question the use of Mercenary Co-pilot due to the limited use of his ability only being at range 3. Its a lot of work to stay at that range continuously. 

I would really enjoy having you or Zig try out that Kath and Bobba build I put up and give me your thoughts on it. 

I just want to say.  Great thread. 

The Second thing is how can you guys possibly play this many games?  I'm lucky to get in two games a week.  Probably just where I live. 

DeadInkPen said:

Hothie,

I like enjoy how we have almost similar thought processes on some of these things. I completely agree with you on Stealth Device. I never really used it, because I prefer added mobility from playing RPGs and other tabletop games that allow it. I am a big fan of Engine Upgrade, but since I like the Imperial side of X-Wing a lot more its kind of useless with the barrel roll option. The best defence in this game is positioning not to be hit or hit by as limited number of ships as possible. I have used Engine Upgrade on the Rebel side to boost out of multiple fire arcs into one to two before. But I have faced a lot of people around my area who swear by Stealth Device, but none of them has won any of the local tournaments with a squad full of them. Have one guy who keeps on telling me well you could roll bad on an attack then I reply to him the same about defence and give him the break down of how the dice favor the attacker. He still hasn't learned even though his all stealth interceptor squad never wins. Though now he is doing Han with Biggs using R2F2 and Stealth and an A-wing.

Again I agree with you on the Gunner and Firespray. I was using that combo for a bit, but wasn't getting to use its ability all that often, so I ended up ditching it. Though I do question the use of Mercenary Co-pilot due to the limited use of his ability only being at range 3. Its a lot of work to stay at that range continuously. 

I would really enjoy having you or Zig try out that Kath and Bobba build I put up and give me your thoughts on it. 

The more I practice flying 2 firesprays, the more i think I'm going to put HLC on Boba instead of the Bounty Hunter. It's just extremely diffcult to keep the BH in back when he moves before Fett and still keep his actions. So, I should be able to play a practice game on Thursday, and I want to try putting the HLC on Fett and see how that runs.

So, your squad of Boba with HLC and VI is a good one. Kath and Ion is an interaction that we are discussing at length on the rules forums. The thing is, it's a very expensive combo for only dealing out 1 damage with a possibility of a stress as well. I mean it's cool when it works, but I don't think it will be enough to win games.  So I personally would drop Kath and Ion, but if it works for you, that's cool.

Here's what I plan on running Saturday:

Boba with Veteran Instincts, HLC, and Seismic Charge
Bounty Hunter
Mauler Mithel with Veteran Instincts

I've been practicing flying these 3 around, and I think it will work out better if the HLC is on Fett and I can keep him towards the back. And since the BH moves before Fett, there should be room for Fett to go when it's time for him to move.

And I saw EnglishPete talking about Soontir with PtL and Stealth. I mean, yes, he's a PS9 that's difficult to hit, but for 33 points, I'd rather have a BH that is 10 hp and can shoot behind him, and he can also be a big blocker for fett and Mauler. And he has the same attack dice as Fel with a much larger Range 1 area.

But, we'll see what happens on Saturday. I'll post a big write up on Sunday (won't be getting home til after midnight), and I'll try to remember to take pics if/when I can.

Imagined Realms likes this

I have to admit, I only fly Soontir with my Vader and Phennir Squad, if I'm flying Firesprays I am much more a fan of 2 Firesprays and a support ship. I did like Hothie's suggestions on my earlier squad as I too am beginning to queston the value of gunner in a lot of instances.

I also tend to agree that the cost of getting an Ion and stress from Kath is to high, also, one Ion Cannon never seems to bring me value. I always run two with my rebels and I see no reason why I would not forgo the HLC in favor of 2 ion cannons on Firesprays if I wanted Ions in an Imp squad. If your doing minimal damage you need max effect and one Ion cannon doesn't seem to bring it.

Overall, I'm still thinking 2 HLC's are awesome, but can't find a way to scrape a squad up that allows it and is effective.

Maybe Fett and Kath with VI and HLC might work, but I think that only leaves points for a basic Tie.

The problem with using a Firespray with just primary weapons is the big ships do not do well at range 1 generally due to manuvering issues and you want those 4 dice really.

Conundrums, Conundrums

In my own personal opinion, I think 2 HLC's are overkill. If you think about how you're going to fly them, it will be tough to get both of them at Range 2-3 often enough to use them. Normally when I practice flying around the board, 1 will usually be at Range 1 of where I think my opponent will be, and the other will be behind it at range 2-3. So having 1 HLC is good, but I'm just not sold on having 2. Because most of the time, your opponent will be at Range 1 of the front one, so you're firing 4 dice anyway, and then when you factor in using the rear arc, it just doesn't seem worth it to me to have HLC's on both. Maybe you can get it to work better than I can, and maybe you fly them differently than I do, so you can totally disregard anything I say. If you can get 2 HLC's to work, more power to you. I just don't think it's worth it for me. And like I mentioned earlier, I'm putting the HLC on the higher skilled pilot, so that when the lower pilot moves first, the higher one will be behind it with the HLC. I'm starting to think that's the way to play it.

And when I last played at the LGS, i ran 2 stock Bounty Hunters with no HLC's, and they did pretty well. Still lost to1 of the HSF variants I played that day, but like I said earlier, that was more due to me making flying mistakes than not having enough firepower.

I've been having fun with 2 BH + 2 HLC and a Black Sqadron with Draw their fire.  The BSP hangs back to body guard the two BHs to keep them alive as long as possible and maybe picks up a pot shot or two.  I like the double HLC on 2 BHs.  The squad has about 5 points of flex room to either grab bombs or a missile or a gunner (though I haven't been as impressed with a gunner on this build).

In my mind, I want to get at least 2 shots with an HLC to make it worth the points.  In my games I've found that this happens often enough to warrant having 2.  With BHs being the same skill, its easier to maneuver and have at least one get an action.  I like the one in front, one in back and feel like its a good formation but having two HLCs gives me the flexibility to have either be the rear gunner and use the HLC.  I see this happen during K-turns where the ship orientation reverses or hard turns that leave one ship trailing.

The line formation helps shore up it's biggest weakness - those big side blindspots. Good interceptor and A-wing pilots can hide in there pretty easy.  With the front and rear guns, the 2 firesprays can cover each other's blind spots pretty well.

The other list I like for empire is a modified swarm: 1 BH + HLC, 5 APs.  For some reason, it reminds me of the first Lord of the Rings: "They have a Cave-Troll…"  All the little guys dancing around annoying people and the big sucker swinging his HLC hammer everywhere.

Having spent last night mucking about with lists, I am tempted to try this in open combat. The high PS along with no real standout target may make for a good flight.

The Ion Cannon's have that nice range 3 for an annoying early cripple shot and Fett's Seismic Charge can be placed to maximum effect. I think target locking will suffice for rerolls. I have had lots of luck with Ion Cannons in rebel builds, let's see if the extra range makes up for the lack of turret mount.

I'll let you know how it goes in a real fight this weekend.

Total Squad Points: 99

Tie Fighter (12)
Upgrades:

• No Upgrades Selected

Pilot: Boba Fett
Firespray-31 (39)
Upgrades:

• Veteran Instincts (1)
  • Siesmic Charges (2)
  • Ion Cannon (3)

Firespray-31 (38)
Upgrades:

• Veteran Instincts (1)
  • Ion Cannon (3)

The alternate option was to drop the Academy pilot and put a Seismic on Kath as well and give them both Homing Missiles. That seemed particularly nasty on first strike. I could see Ion Cannon as the first attack, then next round 2 missiles up the tail pipe of whomever.

So, I played 2 games against a Wedge/Biggs/Chewie squad. The first game, I played:

Boba Fett with HLC, Seismic Charge, and Veteran Instincts
Mauler with VI
Bounty Hunter

Mauler went down quickly, only taking 2 shields off of Biggs. Biggs lasted 2 rounds before going down. Wedge did lots of damage to the Bounty Hunter. It went down, then fett took Wedge down. It ended with Fett vs Chewie. He won, chewie had 6 hull left. Fett got the Console Fire crit card that gave me 2 damage because I couldn't get rid of it due to collisions and K-turns. So it could have been closer, but I think he still would have won.

So then I changed it up to:

Fett with HLC and Seismic Charge
Dark Curse with Stealth
Bounty Hunter

This game was much closer. I put a lot of damage on him early (put 3 on Chewie when Biggs was out of Range), but Biggs still lasted 3 combat rounds. Wedge was a lot less effective this time, and it got down to Fett and Dark Curse vs a hurt chewie. Fett was hurt, so he took him down, but that left Chewie with 1 hull left vs Dark Curse. I rolled 1 hit, he evaded, he shot at me, I evaded. Then I got Range 1 on him. I rolled 3 dice, 1 hit, 2 blanks. He evaded. He attacked, I evaded. And time ran out then, so he won on points, but it was very close. One die different in those last 2 rounds, when I had taken the focus action both times, and I win.

He and I both thought my second squad was better. My opponent is naturally going to try to kill the TIE first, so if I give him a very hard target to kill, maybe he'll go after the firepsrays instead, making them all last longer. And Dark Curse was the last one on the board, which is odd for a build like this. So even though Iost, I think I'm still going to take this to Regionals Saturday. It played pretty well, and the HLC was a beast. And I did manage to hit him both times with my Seismic Charge. So I do like that.

We talked a little about downgrading Dark Curse to an Academy TIE and putting HLC on the BH as well, but I'm not real fond of that idea since my BH didn't get enough front arc range 2-3 shots to make it worth changing.

I think the double HLC build is a play style choice. In the example you have above, you mention that the BH didn't really have a lot of opportunity to front arc at range 2-3. I believe a big reason why is he never needed to be. You didnt have an HLC on him so you likely flew him differently. Not saying either was bad but just pointing out that your outcome might be different if you were actively pursuing that strategy.

One other thing that I'm curious about- you mention the falcon + 2 X-wing build is your biggest fear and you are constantly trying to build something against it but have yet to have anything consistent. Why not play the falcon build at regionals then? Is there another aspect of it that you find inferior? Do you feel it's too cheesy? Worried about endless mirror matches?

Sorry to skip around but mauler is a waste in these builds.  Sounds like you're coming to that conclusions well. He's just too easy of a target and with the HLC or falcon + gunner out there, you'll likely only get one shot off. I prefer the defensive TIE fighter strategy as I want my opponent to forget about the nuisance and focus on the big Firespray threats. Then that TIE fighter can hopefully get a few easy shots off and do more damage over the whole game than a one or two shot Mauler did.

Well, if I go with HLC on the BH and an Academy Pilot, that makes my skills 8, 3, 1, which I'm not too thrilled about. Unless I go with 2 BH's with HLC and Dark Curse, which would be 6, 3, 3. I could see that at 99 pts. But my strategy has been to play more of an "I formation" with them. The BH in front blocks and can keep targets at Range 2-3 for Fett to unload on them. Having 2 large ships in an I formation doesn't leave my opponent much room to move straight at me, so they have to veer off and come back  at me differently. But the Falcon doesn't worry about that with the 360 arc, which is what is giving me trouble.

And I expect to see a lot of people playing HSF at Regionals, if for no other reason than it's very powerful and very easy to play. So I want something that I think can beat it, which I think 2 Firesprays can. The trouble that I'm having is that there is so much variety and parity now, that who knows what people are going to buld and bring to Regionals? I can beat HSF if I fly well, I think, but can I beat every other squad that people can dream up? I got real close last night in game 2. Came down to dice rolls, so I'm ok with that. And that was another variant of falcon and 2 X's.

And Dark Curse did do a lot more damage than Mauler does, because Mauler does go down quickly. I planned for him to die soon. I was just trying to get a trade off for when he does. I'll trade Mauler for Biggs any day. He just doesn't do as much damage as I'd like him to. But yeah, it seems Dark Curse will be a better fit for 2 firesprays.

I’ve stayed off this thread for a while because I was curious about what others thought of the Han list.  First, I built this list to be easy to fly.  This list should always be attacking something because of the 360.  Those assessments that you guys have made are spot on.  I wrote an article about the Han list, it is up on the following site. 

http://swcommonground.com/2013/04/04/han-shoots-first-a-squad-by-ryan-picasso-krippendorf/#more-459

As for all these other people playing the list, I’ve gone against them flying it and took whatever list I thought of.  I lost one game.  I focus on shooting down the X-wings first then Han.  Missile heavy lists work so well.  They also work against the Firesprays.    Vader too can be a beast against Han with his two actions.   Night Beast when used correctly is amazing against Han. 

Now here is my favorite, Arvel.  I’ve run Arvel and Lando to destroy large ship lists.  First Arvel with a cluster missile and bumping a large ship is awesome.  Also Lando can give him a focus to get things DONE!!!!  Arvel also draws a ton of fire from Lando because the second your opponent figures out what you are doing they open up on him. 

I can say that I will NOT be flying the Han list at Star Wars Weekend.  I do plan on crushing ANYONE who flies it.

Well, my eyes really hurt, and I've been up for 20+ hours, but I'm waiting for the sleepy meds to kick in, so figured I'd get this written up in the mean time. I attended my first Regional Tournament today in Independence, Missouri. There were 14 of us there. First off, let me say thanks to the guys from Game Cafe for putting on a great tournament. It was well run, and went very smoothly.

I ran:

Boba Fett with Heavy Laser Cannon and Expert handling
Dark Curse with Stealth
Bounty Hunter

I took off the seismic charges in favor of expert handling because I was afraid of opponents getting into my blind spots, so I put Expert Handling on fett to try and take care of that. And I did use Expert Handling every game, so I think it helped.

My first game was against Nathan. He ran Howlrunner, Krassis, and 3 Academy Pilots. He put Krassis on 1 end of the board with the ties on the other end. So I faced the ties first before having to deal with the firespray. That worked out well for me. The first combat round I managed to take out Howlrunner, which was big. He ended up killing my Bounty Hunter, and when time was called, I had killed all but 1 Academy Pilot. 1-0

Next round I faced Rogue17, who was one of the TO's on the day. He brought 4 Awings with Deadeye and Assault Missiles. This was a good game of cat and mouse, with me staying close to him so that if he did missile me he would hit his own ships. I think only 1 of the Assault Missiles hit, and I killed one of the Awings before it launched its missile. My Bounty Hunter was down to 1 hull left, but i didn't lose a single ship. 2-0

Next round i faced Kelvan. He ran Vader with Swarm Tactics and Concussion Missiles, Bounty Hunter with Gunner, Night Beast, and Academy Pilot. My strategy was to take Vader out as soon as I could, and that's what ended up happening. He collided with Night Beast in an asteroid bottleneck, and I managed to finish him off. After that Night Beast killed himself on an asteroid. He did put lots of damage on me in the first round, and again my Bounty Hunter had 1 hull left. But I weathered the early storm and came out on top. 3-0

Then the semifinals game was aganst Gavin. he brought a 7 tie swarm. Howlrunner with Stealth and 6 Obsidian Pilots. The first combat round my Bounty Hunter took 8 hits, and that hurt a lot, but I managed to take howlrunner out to get rid of his rerolls. The next round I killed 3 of his ties due to Direct Hits. I did lose my Bounty Hunter that game, and fett was colliding a lot with the ships he had left. Of course, he was positioning them so that i would hit, and most of the time I did. But I pulled a win out of that game. 4-0

The final match was against Kelvan again, as I was his only loss of the day. He learned from our earlier match, and I didn't. he changed things up a bit, and in hindsight, I should have, too, but I didn't. I went after vader again, and I did manage to get him down to 1 hull left, but i couldn't get the final blow on him. We were both evading like mad that game, and when there was only 5 minutes left, he had killed my Dark Curse, and I hadn't killed anything of his. He did a great job of blocking with his Academy Pilot all game, and most of the time my Bounty Hunter couldn't take actions. The last round he took out my Bounty Hunter, and I conceded as there was no way I could kill enough of his to win. Looking back, I should have gone after his Bounty Hunter with my squad, because once it's gone, he wouldn't have had much offense for taking my squad down. plus it would have given me a 38 point cushion for scoring.

I think I'll run this list again next weekend, since I faced 2 Slave and Tie squads, an Awing Missile squad, and a TIE swarm, and beat them all. So I think my squad passed the test of facing multiple varieties of squads and coming out on top. Thanks again to the TO's for running the tournament, and i hope to see you all again soon.

Nice report Mr. Hoth.  Excellent job with the double Firespray build. 

Interesting match ups and squad choices.  No Falcons, no X wings, no Y Wings, no Interceptors.  Were other players using them and it just didn't come up for you?