• Announcements

• FFG Fra

Upcoming Changes to the Fantasy Flight Games Forums   01/20/2017

Hello Fantasy Flight Games forum community!   This week, we will be making some important changes to your Fantasy Flight Games community account and the way that you log into the Fantasy Flight Games community forums and web store.   We have been working hard to integrate with the rest of the Asmodee group, and we are happy to announce a unified way to access all the websites and apps made by Fantasy Flight Games, Days of Wonder, and Asmodee!   For most users, nothing will change: you will still log into the Fantasy Flight Games forums using your current login name and password. Only the login user interface will be new.   For a few users, your credentials might be slightly changed. For example, this could happen to users who have both a Fantasy Flight Games and Days of Wonder account, or in the case of conflicting login names across platforms. When these situations occur, special e-mails will be sent to those users with an easy explanation about those changes and what steps to take next. For any of you receiving those e-mails, please make sure to follow the instructions carefully.   Remember, official communications from Fantasy Flight Games or Asmodee.Net will never ask for your password.   What are the benefits for you as a player? Using a unified account to access all of our web services and apps makes your life simpler. Over time, you will see new features emerging, such as keeping all of your friends under a single account, finding friends easily in apps with online play, or developing your personal profile by adding to your board games collection. These are just some of the features that you will see during the next year, once this important technical step is complete.   Important note: The migration of the forums to our new system will take place on Tuesday, January 24th. The forums will be offline for about two hours during that time. Once the migration is complete, older forum posts may look strange for up to 24 hours as we rebuild them in our new system.   We can’t wait to connect our board game communities and build bridges between universes, game systems, players, events, groups, game clubs, and more! This is only the first step in bringing people and games closer together. For more information, read our FAQ at https://asmodee.helpshift.com/a/asmodee-net/.   Best regards,   The Fantasy Flight Games Team
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Moonshine Fox

Advance specialties and ranged weapons

3 posts in this topic

I know that in both the game and all the literature and pictures, Astartes are often depicted as being glorified via close combat, locking swords and chopping foes down. This is seemingly reflected in most of the advanced specialties which focus on either melee mastery, or command positions. I'm playing a Long Fang though who is as masterful with his heavy weapons as any champion is with his sword, but I can't find any advanced specialty that really puts a focus on ranged mastery. The closest to that is limited to tech-priests only which doesn't help a Dev.

Does anyone know of any specialties, in one of the books or home brewed, that puts a focus on ranged combat. I'm about to just forget about an advanced specialty but I figured I'd ask my Battle Brothers on the forum here and see if y'all can help me out.

Moonshine Fox

Interestingly… or perhaps tellingly… it wasn't until 5th edition the whole marines are all melee centric came about.

Marines have always been shooting, I mean come on, the holy weapon of the Emperor's wrath used to get much more use. (Back when almost every enemy was T3… vs. T5) Once the melee edition (5th) came around, and the meta shifted to super-squads with butt-tons of power weapons attacking at high initiative with multiple, effective ranged weapons did the idea of marines prefering to lay waste to the Emperor's foes with the holy bolter fall out of favour. I mean come on, you want a unit that can only put out 2 shots the enemy gets saves, or a unit shooting 4 shots + charging in with 4 melee attacks each which doesn't allow saves all in the same turn (very slight exageration for dramatic effect)?

I won't even go very far into the current "destroy all established background for a buck" edition (very similar to 5th but now with "wizard did it" buffs and no counter I-win buttons [coughmindshacklecough])… But in the heyday, and according to Codex instruction marines do indeed prefer shooting. Yes, even the Blood Angels (who are actually at the core a codex chapter).

As for your question, I can agree many of the specialities seem slanted to melee. You cannot blame some of them though. A Chaplain should have a crozius as a sign of office, though the chaplain speciality has little in the way of melee talents. The same goes for the Captain speciality, the sword is just a sign of station. Unfortunately most of the advanced specialities seem to have a melee weapon as a "sign of station". It is a little overused. Take a look at the deathwatch veteran specialty, if memory serves it gives many bonuses which can be tailored to ranged fighting. Most of its special abilities are "experience" related, and a lot of the options in the advance tables is centered around getting good gear, though not specifically limited to melee gear.

You could always discuss the creation of a new class with your GM. Either the Core or Rites of Battle brings that up as a possibility, though they offer no rules for doing so beyond discussing with your GM appropriate talents and skills in their pricing in advancement. Or you could make a custom chapter and have it part of the chapter lore that those in certain positions carry gear unique to the chapter's traditions (specialized triple-barrelled bolter for Chaplains, a graviton gun for captains or veterans).

I did something similar with my own custom chapter. Each company has a distinctly different combat doctrine, and the company my character came from had a strong range and stealth focus, specializing in laying ambushes (Devastator, Honour Thy Wargear advancement table, Stoic demeanour). In this company, the Captain and all of his retinue wield sniper rifles of a chapter unique configuration. It came into play when we did an out-of-party roleplaying session between this captain and the captain from a custom chapter belonging to one of the players, involving a joint operation, and the forging of a chapter-alliance.

Don't be afraid to try and negotiate with your GM between sessions. Some really great stuff can come out of it.