Sign in to follow this  
Spew

Playing Remotely? Try Hangout EotE tools

Oh wow.. Ilike!..

Just tested the new roller.. 

Any chance to add a little polish to the Dice chooser Graphics? Simply an aesthetic request. Functionality is good.

What kind of polish are you thinking? I was going for a flat/simple look originally.

Just little things like rounding the corners and edges and perhaps a little gloss to make the dice look like dice.

Again, it was simply a personal "oh that would look better" thought.

I'm not a programmer so i honestly have no clue of the effort required to get the app in that state as it is. SO please don't think i am bashing it, i am absolutely not. ;)

Oh wow.. Ilike!..

Just tested the new roller.. 

Any chance to add a little polish to the Dice chooser Graphics? Simply an aesthetic request. Functionality is good.

used tonight for our game. worked like a champ. more stable than the other one. Other one loses sync fairly often. this one does not.

You get can the roller by clicking the button on this page:

https://eote-hangouts-dice-roller-release.googlecode.com/git/hangout-button.html

Let me know what you think. I'm open to feature requests, but no guarantees about what I will/won't add or on what timeframe.

Hmm. I go to that page, whitelisted it in both Ghostery and Disconnect.me, enabled Javascript, Java, and Flash, and I’m still not getting any kind of button or anything — just text that says:

You can launch a Hangout with the EotE Dice Roller by clicking this button:

After the first time you do this, Google Hangouts should remember the app for you.

What am I doing wrong here?

https://eote-hangouts-dice-roller-release.googlecode.com/git/hangout-button.html

Let me know what you think. I'm open to feature requests, but no guarantees about what I will/won't add or on what timeframe.

Hmm. I go to that page, whitelisted it in both Ghostery and Disconnect.me, enabled Javascript, Java, and Flash, and I’m still not getting any kind of button or anything — just text that says:

You can launch a Hangout with the EotE Dice Roller by clicking this button:

After the first time you do this, Google Hangouts should remember the app for you.

What am I doing wrong here?

do you have google+/hangout account?

Technically I do, but I almost never sign into it.

I take it nothing shows up unless you’re signed into Google+?

it is a google hangout tool. Won't work with out it.

Technically I do, but I almost never sign into it.

I take it nothing shows up unless you’re signed into Google+?

it is a google hangout tool. Won't work with out it.

I believe the button should still show up even if you aren't signed into Google+.

Do you have anything running that might be blocking iframes? That's how Google implements that button.

I believe the button should still show up even if you aren't signed into Google+.

Do you have anything running that might be blocking iframes? That's how Google implements that button.

I turned off everything that could be blocking iFrames, and that didn’t seem to make a difference.

I turned off everything that could be blocking iFrames, and that didn’t seem to make a difference.

Hmm... what browser are you using?

The other way to get the app is join a Hangout with someone who has it.

Hmm... what browser are you using?

The other way to get the app is join a Hangout with someone who has it.

I tried Firefox and Opera. Note that Opera is now based on Chrome.

I haven’t tried any other browsers. I try to be very careful about web site security, and so I generally refuse to use browsers that won’t let me turn on the security features I want and need, or that go out of their way to make it difficult for me to do so.

The only thing I get from clicking on that link is a video chat session with myself. No sign of any dice tool.

EDIT:

I think I just figured it out. From the Hangouts help:

"Currently apps are not supported on tablets or mobile devices."

That'll do it.

So I guess this means we'll have to use two hangout sessions, one on our tablets for video chat like normal, and a 2nd one on our PCs just for die rolling. Does Google+ allow the same user ID to be logged into multiple sessions from multiple machines, or would we each have to make secondary logins?

Is one even allowed to start a Hangout session from a machine without a camera?

Edited by Lifer4700

Hi Everybody.

I'm a totally blind GM and E&E player who runs games with other visually impaired players over google hangouts. We've been using both of the dice rollers on Google Hangouts (but only one of us can roll dice because he has enough vision to be able to see them). I was wondering if anyone was willing to make an all text version of the dice roller that would be accessible with our screenreading software.

I've basically exhausted every other route. Fantasy Flight has not made any accessibility improvements to their paid dice app, so that's sort of uselessly sitting on my phone. The first dice roller on this thread is accessible for the most part, but it breaks really frequently. The second one at this point is not, and I can only view results but can't add dice to my pool to roll them. If either of the developers of those apps is willing to make an all text version, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks for any other suggestions you guys can provide as well.

Eldrin, do you have access to screenreading software that reads the "title" tag of images? I am ignorant of what exists, but I know that some readers do read the title tag of images. I ask because I know that the Roll 20 SW dice script names the images appropriately. Not sure if the dice rollers on google hangouts name their images appropriately (success, advantage, etc), but might be worth a try.

I'm not sure if it's WCAG 2.0 compliant, but maybe Orokos will have what you need. once you get used to the syntax of the dice roller, it's quite simple.

@DFN I do have access to that type of screenreader. The problem with dice roller #2 that was posted on this thread for Google Hangouts is that I can't add or remove dice. I can see the results. The first dice roller did not properly label the images, but I had someone see tell me which + and - buttons matched with what dice in the table, and just always remembered which box was for which dice.

@Kaosoe I've used that dice roller before, but I wanted something in Google Hangouts that would roll on screen so we didn't have to constantly send each other links to prove our rolls were legitimate. It bogs the game down really badly to have to use that engine in real time.

Also, just to clarify, the ideal dice roller would just say the dice name and number in text and have plus and minus buttons next to each. There would also be a button for roll. In the second dice roller, I can see a bunch of zeros (for the dice types) and I can see the results and the roll button.

I hope that clears things up a little more, thanks for the quick feedback thus far!

Hi Everybody.

I'm a totally blind GM and E&E player who runs games with other visually impaired players over google hangouts. We've been using both of the dice rollers on Google Hangouts (but only one of us can roll dice because he has enough vision to be able to see them). I was wondering if anyone was willing to make an all text version of the dice roller that would be accessible with our screenreading software.

I've basically exhausted every other route. Fantasy Flight has not made any accessibility improvements to their paid dice app, so that's sort of uselessly sitting on my phone. The first dice roller on this thread is accessible for the most part, but it breaks really frequently. The second one at this point is not, and I can only view results but can't add dice to my pool to roll them. If either of the developers of those apps is willing to make an all text version, I'd really appreciate it!

Hi, Eldrin!

I'm a blind EotE player, too. We haven't had the need to check out Hangouts because we play at a table and the gm and other players are sighted but I have to deal with having other people read my dice for me. I use the dice app on an ipad because I can usually set up my own pools but I can't read the results on my own. I would like to run a game but the dice situation is killing my motivation. I sure hope someone takes you up on that request!

How do you remove the lower bar in Google Hangouts? It's bloody annoying only seeing Roll20 in 1/2 of the screen, what with all the extra bars everywhere (top bar, left sidebar, EotE Dice bar on the right, and then a huge lower bar to show participants; which are already shown in the Roll20 window - all these bars are superfluous, needless and in the way).

Ideally, I'd like to remove all of them, and only keep the Roll20 window and the dice roller, so it's not even evident we're using Google.

Edit: Nevermind, I set up custom dice with the Table Roller in Roll20 instead, so it actually displays all the different dices when I roll, just like what would happen if we were playing IRL; I actually like this functionality *better* than the Google+ one, because this way it displays all the individual die, instead of just throwing the end results at us.

Do you have to be a subscriber to roll 20 to use that ?

No.

What you do is that you set up a rollable table, and replace the roll options with images of the dies.

I've since made an even better system, in which you create tokens from the tables, and then roll them on the board. :)

Requires Mentor, though.

Can you please walk me through how you do this tables and tokens stuff?  Also, where are you getting the dice images?

Thanks bro!

I made the images myself, feel free to grab them here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1yLliRCIzfoT3BGYkx5M1J2VU0&usp=sharing

For some of the dies, there's two sets; one in white and one in black. Use the white ones when available, because otherwise it gets a bit hard to see what the results are.

Either way, what you do is that you go into Roll20 as a GM (or Co-GM) and you open the tab for Decks and Rollable Tables. Then you create one Table for each dice; let's name them Ability, Difficulty, Boost, Setback, Proficiency, Challenge, Force (and if I forgot any, it's because I'm tired as all hell; either way, you get the point).

Then for each table, you create a number of possible results equal to the number of die results, so, 8 for Ability & Difficulty, 6 for Boost and Setback, and so on. Then for each possible result, you name it appropriately and upload the appropriate image. It'll make sense when you get working on it.

Let's say that we just created a Rollable Table called Ability, and 8 different results, each represented by one of the faces of the Ability die. You can now make rolls on the table by writing /r 1t[Ability] or /r 3t[Ability] and so on. When you've set up the Difficulty Rollable Table, you can do /r 1t[Difficulty], and so forth.

However, this is the neat part; You can make each Rollable Table into a Token, by pressing the "Token" button next to the Rollable Table (in the Decks and Rollable Tables tab) that you just created.

You can then select these tokens on the board, and right-click them, and choose Multi-Sided->Random Side. Select multiple dies by holding down CTRL when selecting dies, to make yourself a dice-pool, right-click, Multi-Sided->Random Side, to roll everything at once.

Works like a charm.

I know it's been a while, but do you still have those images? That Google Drive link seems to be invalid now.

Thanks!

This app is indeed awesome, and many thanks to TommyC and whoever else was involved in creating it.

However, it doesn't seem that further development on it is being done (understandable, as people have lives). I had a couple features I wanted added to it, so I went ahead and created my own dice roller, very much modelled on this one.

I've been using the new dice roller quite happily with my online group for some months now.

The main features I've added relative to the original roller:

1. It will always show you the results of each specific die, as well as the combined result. This is nice for people who like to narrate what results came from what sources.
  2. You have the option of automatically clearing the dice after each roll. This prevents the common issue of getting extra left-over dice on your next roll.
  3. You can roll "normal" dice other than percentiles. For example, d10 for Morality or if you do things like roll d4 to see which PC is targeted.

Very nice, thank you.

My group gave the new roller a try this past weekend. We LOVED it! Also, coincidentally, GM Hook was a guest for one of the sessions. We didn't know his FFG forum name, so we had no clue he was the creator! We've decided to switch over to the newer roller from here on out. That said, the original one is an awesome tool and I'm glad it inspired others. Thanks, TommyC and GM Hook!  

Edited by verdantsf

Hi Everybody.

I'm sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. For some reason I stopped receiving notifications on this thread.

I'm the developer of the second roller.

I have made some accessibility improvements, which are currently available in a QA version of the app at https://cjhooker.github.io/eote-dice-roller-qa/hangout-button.html.

Mostly all I've done is add a lot of ALT tags that were missing. Please let me know if this addresses your issues, or what more I can do. I'd rather make the current version more accessible than create a pure text-only version if possible. Also, I am far from an expert on accessibility, so any guidance is much appreciated. I definitely want as many people as possible to be able to enjoy the app!

Oh my God this is perfect!!! I wrote my own plugin using angelscript but I didn't add a feature that allowed the group to see each other's results. I'm switching to this right away!

You sir are my hero!

Oh my God this is perfect!!! I wrote my own plugin using angelscript but I didn't add a feature that allowed the group to see each other's results. I'm switching to this right away!

You sir are my hero!

Excellent. I am glad I could help!

I tried using the EotE roller with Roll20 tonight, but had no luck.  After reading the comments here, it seemed to me that it was possible to use Roll20 as a hangout (to see maps, tokens, etc) but also the EotE dice roller addon from the first post.  I must be doing something wrong.

I ran the dice roller alone earlier today and it worked fine.  I thought that running it once (and giving it permissions) would sort of "register" the addon in Hangouts and let me use it in the future, sort of something that I just enable or disable.

Anyway, tonight I clicked on the "launch on Google Hangouts" button within Roll20.  There was no dice roller to be seen - no surprise - and no way for me to find to enable it from within Hangouts.  I thought maybe I needed to launch EotE roller while that chat was already going, but after pressing the EotE roller button (while already in the roll20 Hangout), it complained that I was already in a video chat and I would have to drop the first call.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense... I thought it would be far easier to use this together with roll20.  Maybe it's because I'm running it on a Chromebook?  Any suggestions are appreciated.  At this point, we'll have to either use a standalone dice roller and flip between tabs.  Yuck. :)

I have a question about the app.  I tried searching the thread but didn't get any results so I hope I'm not repeating anything already. 

If a Triumph is rolled but all the successes are cancelled out, how would we know that the only thing remaining is he Triumph portion and not the success?  Same for Despair, I'd expect.

I'm very new to using this app so forgive me if it's obvious.