Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DailyRich

Tournament rules posted!

26 posts in this topic

It's weird that for Dark side draws they calculate the number of objectives destroyed, does this not slightly favour aggressive dark side decks in tournament play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DailyRich said:

Here.

Looks like any expansions out at the time of any given tournement will be legal.

 

Cool. Makes it easy: if you can buy it, you can play it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holliday88 said:

DailyRich said:

 

Here.

Looks like any expansions out at the time of any given tournement will be legal.

 

 

 

Cool. Makes it easy: if you can buy it, you can play it.

Just keep in mind that is only for the listed packs and expansion, it could very well not be true past that.  I'm glad they did so since the game is new, but they tend to have waiting periods for thier other stablished LCGs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

musket_max said:

It's weird that for Dark side draws they calculate the number of objectives destroyed, does this not slightly favour aggressive dark side decks in tournament play?

musket_max said:

It's weird that for Dark side draws they calculate the number of objectives destroyed, does this not slightly favour aggressive dark side decks in tournament play?

Unless they do a best of three they had to decide on tiebreakers. No matter what they picked, certain cards/builds would be affected.

My only issue is that a Modified Match Win is so closely weighted to a "Full" Match Win.  After 4 rounds you could easily have two players finish with a score of 12pts each.  Player A could have had a game record of 6-2 and reached that score, and player B could have went 4-4 and still scored the same.  That does not sit well with me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked this in the other thread, too, but what score do I award a player who gets a bye?

 

Also, I'm okay with it slightly (and I think ONLY SLIGHTLY) favoring aggressive builds. Time is always an issue at an event and this will hopefully mean players are encouraged to bring decks that can play quickly. Aggro seems to go faster than control in most any game I've ever played. I still think Control will have its place at the tournament table, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think breaking ties differently for LS and DS wins is brilliant. I don't remember seeing that suggested on the threads earlier (forgive me if you did bring it up) but it seems so obvious now.

It's interesting to consider how this changes strategies. I feel like this doesn't punish Heart of the Empire/Trench Run tactics as badly since you still get two points for a tie. It's just that the one who wins the tie gets 3 points instead.

I'm not sure what to think about the disadvantage control decks have. Both LS and DS control decks suffer by either racking up Death Star dial ticks or destroying fewer objectives. I think the comment above about it helping people to speed the game along is valid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't like that incomplete games (due to running out of time) are considered a draw.

Whoever wins the first game just has to play the second game slowly enough to force a draw, guaranteeing the win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can usually call out slow play to the TO

 

If a player who has the hang of the game cannot finish a game in 20-40 mins I would be suspicious

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't see this so feel free to point it out if I missed it but: what do you do in case of an odd number of players.  Seems to me in a x round Swiss x of the players get screwed by no being able to score any points.  Any ideas or solutions?  My only idea is to give 2 points for a bye, but that can artificially inflate a bad players score or lower a good players score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holliday88 said:

What happens if game 1 goes to time? Is game 2 automatically considered a draw?

It's hard to imagine a single round of this game taking a full tournament timeslot, but I suppose it would force a draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MarthWMaster said:

 

Holliday88 said:

 

What happens if game 1 goes to time? Is game 2 automatically considered a draw?

 

 

It's hard to imagine a single round of this game taking a full tournament timeslot, but I suppose it would force a draw.

 

 

 

Rules say any game that goes to time is a draw so would be 1 point for each player that match. Game two wouldn't even be a factor as it never started. I cannot see a match being a single game going to time. 70 minutes is plenty of time for two let alone one game of Star Wars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toqtamish said:

MarthWMaster said:

 

Holliday88 said:

 

What happens if game 1 goes to time? Is game 2 automatically considered a draw?

 

 

It's hard to imagine a single round of this game taking a full tournament timeslot, but I suppose it would force a draw.

 

 

 

Rules say any game that goes to time is a draw so would be 1 point for each player that match. Game two wouldn't even be a factor as it never started. I cannot see a match being a single game going to time. 70 minutes is plenty of time for two let alone one game of Star Wars.

i think if game 1 times out both players get 2 points.  2 games must be played, so I would think game 2 is considered to have timed out also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think it's going to be interesting to see how time plays out… but in the "spirit" of the game, I am sure a polite "c'mon, dude… you're killin' me!" to speed up a turn would work… 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

flightmaster101 said:

Didn't see this so feel free to point it out if I missed it but: what do you do in case of an odd number of players.  Seems to me in a x round Swiss x of the players get screwed by no being able to score any points.  Any ideas or solutions?  My only idea is to give 2 points for a bye, but that can artificially inflate a bad players score or lower a good players score.

A bye has to count as a full win.  A player should not be eliminated from the running for first place (in a tournament with no cut especially) because they were randomly chosen to get the bye.  You just can't penalize a player for something they had zero ability to control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ScottieATF said:

A bye has to count as a full win.  A player should not be eliminated from the running for first place (in a tournament with no cut especially) because they were randomly chosen to get the bye.  You just can't penalize a player for something they had zero ability to control.

Agree with ScottieATF.  4 points for the bye.  It's enough of a downside that it will contribute 0 points to your Strength of Schedule, it doesn't need to have points cut too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

flightmaster101 said:

Toqtamish said:

 

MarthWMaster said:

 

Holliday88 said:

 

What happens if game 1 goes to time? Is game 2 automatically considered a draw?

 

 

It's hard to imagine a single round of this game taking a full tournament timeslot, but I suppose it would force a draw.

 

 

 

Rules say any game that goes to time is a draw so would be 1 point for each player that match. Game two wouldn't even be a factor as it never started. I cannot see a match being a single game going to time. 70 minutes is plenty of time for two let alone one game of Star Wars.

 

 

i think if game 1 times out both players get 2 points.  2 games must be played, so I would think game 2 is considered to have timed out also.


 

That's my interpretation also and until FFG releases a specific guideline for such situations, that's the way we will score such games in our tournament group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was correct, game 2 does not matter as it never started. So 1 point per player.

 

Nate French says:

If the first game goes to time, only that first game is scored, and each player receives 1 point for the match. The second game was not played, and no result is recorded.

 
Regarding byes:
 
The "bye" should be treated as a player who loses all his games.
 

This means that if a player has no opponent for a round, he is considered to have won both games for that round. (This happens both with byes, and if an opponent doesn't show up for his match.)

 
There are a couple implications for the bye here:
 
1) The bye is random in the first round.
 
2) In all subsequent rounds, the bye, with 0 match points, is always at the bottom of the swiss standings. (This means that a player from the lowest ranked group will receive the bye.)
 
3) The bye contributes no points to a player's strength of schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0