Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XWing32

Expansions based on the prequels?

80 posts in this topic

I know a lot of people dislike episodes I,II,and III for their flaws, but I love a lot of Prequel-era characters, so im definately in favor of them making cards based on them. I agree with the people who say it should just be two new factions, maybe with some ability to discourage mixing of eras or something. EIther that or they could create another core set with different win cons (no death star dial in the prequels, maybe some order 66 counters or something). They would have the same base mechanics and backs so they COULD be mixed by geeky people like me who like cannonically improbabble battles, but tournement-wise they wouldn't be mixed. By the same token I really hope that we get some expansions for the new sequel trilogy. I mean if they have the rights it would be a shame to pass up such a marketing gold mine. 

I don't understand how those people who want prequel era and OT-era stuff to remain separate and never mix together can be cool with stuff in the LCG like Yoda fighting a TIE fighter like Backstabber.  How can one be cool and the other horrid?  Don't they both conflict with your internal ruleset that says only things that actually happened in Star Wars should be allowed to happen in-game (even though Star Wars is fiction and didn't really happen)?

The Empire Brings Sexy Back said:

I don't understand how those people who want prequel era and OT-era stuff to remain separate and never mix together can be cool with stuff in the LCG like Yoda fighting a TIE fighter like Backstabber.  How can one be cool and the other horrid?  Don't they both conflict with your internal ruleset that says only things that actually happened in Star Wars should be allowed to happen in-game (even though Star Wars is fiction and didn't really happen)?

Putting aside the "cinematic gameplay" of SWLCG that allows situations like Yoda vs. "Backstabber" to make thematic sense, you're asking why these are more acceptable than, say, Darth Maul vs. Princess Leia?

I'll try to answer this as best I can. Note that I am in favor of seeing the game expand into other eras. I'm posting this only because I believe I understand the contrary position as well.

While Yoda never fought "Backstabber" during the films or expanded universe continuity, he very well could have. I can easily see a Jedi Master casting his lot with the Rebel Alliance and aiding the fight against the Imperials. In the saga, though, he remains on Dagobah to await the arrival of those who wished to learn from him, which is perhaps the better use of his talents, a fact which is reflected in the game by the fact that Yoda is generally more effective as someone to fight in the Force struggle, rather than attacking or defending objectives.

On the flipside, Leia wasn't born until after Maul's demise. The fight could still occur, but only if one assumes drastic changes to established lore (I've explained how this could work in a previous post). The farther apart in continuity the cards in question become, the more of a thematic issue it becomes. There is no possible way that Darth Malak could have fought Mara Jade, no matter how awesome such a match-up might be. 

So it really depends on whether you're willing to dispense with continuity for the sake of the game. Honestly, SWLCG's gameplay is abstract enough that I don't think any particular case would faze me, and I'm about as Nedly as you can get with regard to playstyle. But keep in mind that unlike A Game of Thrones, which prior to the HBO series was responsible for leading much of its playerbase to the source material, and not the other way around, the majority of players are playing this game because of their love for Star Wars, and that is going to affect how they view certain elements of the game, be it rancors fighting capital ships, or Jedi dueling across time.

Everybody talks about the fact that it is impossible for certain battle to occur- it doesn't matter. Star Wars: The Card Game is an ultimate What If? of possibilities, and one that I enjoy immensely. I love playing the game and watching as my friend pulls out Devastator and the only defender is an Ewok Scout. I was put on the floor laughing when the Ewok Scout stole Vader's lightsaber. All things are possible in a game like this. I personaly would like to see the inclusion of the Prequil Trilogy into the game, I may not enjoy the dialog in those films, but there are characters (Jar Jar Binks, Kit Fisto, Plo Koon) to name a few that I have come to love and cherish. Even the Thrawn Trilogy is quintisential to what is Star Wars and I doubt Disney would disrupt such a beloved set of books. Thrawn's Trilogy paved the way for the reemergance of Star Wars in this day and age. Yes there had been an RPG by West End Games and a few Video Games. But Star Wars had been for the most part such a niche, and when the prequels arrived, Star Wars as we know it changed all the rules. I read earlier taht there was an issue with Vader fighting Anakin. This is a non-issue, just use your imagination and imagine PROXY from the Force Unleashed in all those disguises.     Regardless of what happens, I still want my Jar Jar Binks card.    Also, some mentioned the idea of Sticking with the current sick affiliations (I agree) all you need is flavor text to reference New Republic or Old Republic, or even Separatists. But we need Thrawn, Jar Jar (he can be one heck of menace), Palleaon, Mara Jade, Tallon Karrde, The Secret Apprenctice, Revan, Asoka. They are characters that fuel fanboys and girls alike.