Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darik

How do I score a "bye" in Netrunner Tournaments?

8 posts in this topic

I searched through the tournament rules but I can't find any guidance on how to record the score when a player gets a "bye" in a tournament with an uneven number of players. For our inaugural event at Your Local Game Store in Matthews NC last night we had NINE players (a great turnout for a random Thursday night) and so we had a bye each of our three rounds. 

In the absence of an official rule, I decided the bye was worth 6 prestige since you are considered to have won the match. But this ended up being a bit too strong, I think. Is there an official policy?

Did you ever get an answer to this?

I had byes in my tournament that I ran a few weeks ago.  I gave the 6 prestige, but there is nothing to add to 'strength of schedule' and no agenda points would be scored etc.  As a matter of fact, I see a bye as hurtful for a strong player to get first round of a tournament, but it does but them in the 'winners' bracket.  

Giving the bye to the lowest ranking player keeps them in the game a bit. Have you found a final/official ruling?

Thanks for the question. Byes are scored as 6 prestige and 0 match points. The TO, of course, can choose to give byes as many match points as he wants. Hope that helps,

--
Lukas Litzsinger
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

I know there is now an offical answer but they way I do it is. If I am the TO I will drop or play to make the numbers even. I have also played where everyone got the same number of byes. It added more rounds but it seemed more fair then giving someone 6 points. 

Lindorm said:

Did you ever get an answer to this?

I had byes in my tournament that I ran a few weeks ago.  I gave the 6 prestige, but there is nothing to add to 'strength of schedule' and no agenda points would be scored etc.  As a matter of fact, I see a bye as hurtful for a strong player to get first round of a tournament, but it does but them in the 'winners' bracket.  

Giving the bye to the lowest ranking player keeps them in the game a bit. Have you found a final/official ruling?

Generally, byes are scored as the best possible win - 6 Prestige Points and 20 Match Points, because to do so otherwise cheats the player out of the opportunity to score 6 PP/20 MP.

I'm still surprised Lukas hasn't fixed the rule allowing the TO to play in his own tournament, though -- you need two secondary TOs in case the TO ends up playing against their backup.