Sign in to follow this  
Niranth

Wave Three?

I agree with Effenhoog on pretty much all points. I'd imagine Wave 3 as follows:

B-Wing 3 attack 1 defense 4 hull 4 shield

abilities: target lock, focus, barrel roll (they can rotate around the cockpit, and it would open up a lot of options for gameplay)

upgrades: torpedo torpedo ion cannon (non turret)

Pilots: Keyan Farlander, Ten Numb, Nova Squadron, Blue Squadron

Z-95 2 attack 2 defense 3 hull 1 shield

abilities: target lock, focus, evade

upgrades: missile

Pilots: Colonel Cracken, Mara Jade (smuggler), Tala squadron, Mercenary pilot (smuggler)

Tie Bomber 2 attack 1 defense 4 hull

abilities: target lock, focus

upgrades: torpedo torpedo missile mine

Pilots: Major Rymer, Captain Jonus, Scimitar Squadron, Beta Squadron

Tie Defender 3 attack 3 defense 3 hull 3 shields

abilities: target lock, focus, evade, barrel roll, boost

upgrades: missile

Pilots: Colonel Jendon, Captain Yorr, Onyx Squadron, Advanced x7 prototype

Then I'd add some more upgrades:

Mag pulse warheads- missile, 1-3 2 attack. If it does at least 1 damage, that fighter may not roll attack dice this turn

Ion pulse Torpedo- torpedo, 2-3, proton torpedo stats but also adds ion counter if at least 1 damage done.

Countermeasures- modification, adds evade to actions

Jamming Beam- modification, if within range 2, may action to reduce one enemy attack dice by 1 this turn

It's possible thst Disney will not even recognize the EU.  Apparently, they pulled the plug on the upcoming Star Wars 1313 game because it wasn't related to the new trilogy.  The EU fiction quality is kind of a mixed bag and it's not necessarily canon. Sure, the fact that Maarek Steele is a pilot means that some of it has been acknowledged, but I wouldn't be expecting any Ssi-Ruuk or Yuzhaan Vong.  In fact, my preference would be to throw everything post-Endor away.

Clone Wars era stuff is obviously canon, so that is possible.

KevinBakon said:

It's possible thst Disney will not even recognize the EU.  Apparently, they pulled the plug on the upcoming Star Wars 1313 game because it wasn't related to the new trilogy.  The EU fiction quality is kind of a mixed bag and it's not necessarily canon. Sure, the fact that Maarek Steele is a pilot means that some of it has been acknowledged, but I wouldn't be expecting any Ssi-Ruuk or Yuzhaan Vong.  In fact, my preference would be to throw everything post-Endor away.

Except Droid Fighters don't have pilots, there is literally almost zero source material to draw from for Squadrons, pilots, etc. Same with the clones but theres at least a few named pilots not counting Jedi. Also think before you say, throw away "everything post-ROTJ." Don't be blind and just toss away the 10% of the good stories that exist in that era because someone told you all the bad stories. Clone Wars, Dark Times, and Old Republic eras are just as bad as the current state with Post-ROTJ EU. 

KevinBakon said:

Last official news I heard (yesterday) was that 1313 was not cancelled…  http://www.gamespot.com/news/star-wars-1313-on-hold-6404659

Granted they don't want negative press but there was a quote stating that development continues.  

"…the company said. "Star Wars 1313 continues production."

My buddies and I were also speculating the wave three releases and the z-95, bwing, tie bomber and lambda.  But what of wave four I was hoping for the skipray blast boat, missile boat, outrider, talon karrde's ship, and scenario based models and rules for fighting on the death star surface, the Maw installation, Kuat drive yards and stuff like that.n  With that said I have to go and pl;ay my first scenario

Laters

plokoon9619 said:

Except Droid Fighters don't have pilots, there is literally almost zero source material to draw from for Squadrons, pilots, etc. Same with the clones but theres at least a few named pilots not counting Jedi. Also think before you say, throw away "everything post-ROTJ." Don't be blind and just toss away the 10% of the good stories that exist in that era because someone told you all the bad stories. Clone Wars, Dark Times, and Old Republic eras are just as bad as the current state with Post-ROTJ EU. 

There's lots of great stories from post-ROTJ EU.  Thrawn, Rogue Squadron, I even like the Black Fleet Crisis.  I read just about all of them up until Chewbacca died and Han got a drinking problem.  I'd just rather the new trilogy not be tied to any of that baggage.  The movies are probably going to focus on the "next generation" because Mark Hamill is now old.  I'm sure they'll design new starfighters among many other things.  They shouldn't be forced to include the (kinda so-so design) E-Wing because it was in a comic 20 years ago.  Start fresh! Surprise us! Give an awesome concept team millions to design some sweet new ships as charismatic and iconic as a B-Wing.  

Good point about the droid pilots, hehe.  I wouldn't be interested in collecting Clone Wars era stuff anyway, but it seems more likely than a Missile Boat.  

KevinBakon said:

The EU fiction quality is kind of a mixed bag and it's not necessarily canon.

That's being unnecessarily polite. The second-worst thing about most of the EU fiction is that LucasFilm's licensing department clearly decided quite a while ago that they could just slap the Star Wars logo on any piece of cringe-worthy fanfiction and turn a profit selling it to thousands of geeky fans.

The very worst thing is that they were right. avergonzado_triste

I went online and looked at other ships of the line for star wars and seen a few I would like to see. As far as ships that could be played for either side there is a couple of Bounty Hunter ships out there in the size range of the Slave 1 which was 21.5 metres.

IG 2000 - IG88's ship 20 metres

Hounds Tooth - Bossk's ship around 20 metres

Mist Hunter - Zuckuss's ship 21 metres

Some other large ships could be:

Ravens Clan - 26 metres , 1 pilot, 1 co-pilot

Ebon Hawk - 24 metres, 1 pilot, 2 co-pilots, 2 gunners

G-Wing Shuttle- 17.2 metres

YT-1760 Frieghter - 20 metres

Some smaller ships could be:

E-Wing - 11.2 metres, 1 pilot, 1 R7 Droid

K-Wing - 16 metres, 1 pilot, 1 gunner

M12-L Fighter - 16 metres, 1 pilot, 1 Astromech

Tie Phantom - Crew of 2 14.3 metres

Tie Aggressor - 7.8 metres, 1 pilot, 1 gunner

Tie Hunter - 6.6 metres, armament 2 laser cannons, 2 ion cannons, 2 warhead launchers

Some interesting threads and upgrade ideas, also i wonder if they bring out another class of ship or scenarios they could potentialy bring out speed 4 and 5 turns for larger more slugish ships but limiting the slower moves as inertia is more on a larger ship and they seem to fit about 13 moves on the dials.

People seem to be forgetting the canon story setting of Shadows of the empire which have at least 3 ships they could use outside of the B-Wing and TIE Bomber. 

The Star Viper attack platform which was developed by Mandalorian engineers and mass produced after the fall of Xizor.  Then you have the Aggressor assault fighter popularised by the IG-88 and finally you have the YT-2400 (although this is the least likely to be added of the three)

Wave 3 is going to be revealed this year as it doesn't make sense to stop making models when you have as lucrative a licence as Star Wars.  FFG are going hell bent with a three pronged star wars product line all of which can be expanded upon multiple times, so cancelling one of these lines after wave 2 would be pointless and only give the licence up to another company to profit from it, since miniature wargaming is very popular.

But let's look at the situation with wave 3 as it's a little tricky.  We have no solid information about what era FFG are going for with this game.  We know they have acknowledged the expanded universe with some of the pilots and other references but that isn't proof that we will see things like T-Wings anytime soon.  But we have 2 movie ships left to add, the B-Wing and TIE Bomber which we can assume are definitely in wave 3.

So what we have left are two slots for this wave.  The Z-95 is now canon after it was added to the clone wars series recently, so technically it can be added to the rebel faction.  The V-Wing could potentially be added to the Imperial faction as it was used during the jedi purge era after revenge of the sith, but it may not stack up compared to other imperal vessels.  One thing you have to remember is that imperial ships like the TIE series are cheap for mass production purposes so they aren't necessarily better than clone wars ships, they are just easier to make in numbers and require less maintenance.  This could allow ships like the V-Wing to be used as a tougher fighter that is more survivable, but less maneuverable.  Another possibility is the Sienaar developed Skipray, but this is never in the movies and until we know exactly what era's FFG are planning to use it has be counted out of any future waves.

The shadows of the empire could be used for the aggressor and Star viper.  IG88 could be a imperial unit since like Boba fett he works for the empire when needed.  The star viper is tougher to give a faction to, so maybe it wouldn't make the cut.  This leaves the YT-2400 which could be another large vessel that like the YT-1300 can be a neutral vessel used by both sides for different scenarios.

If they decide on a clone wars era expansion, then it should be in a new core set with new rules for droid fighters and the like.  It seems like the most logical step since there are plenty of ships to choose from this era compared to the original trilogy.

On the point of ground vehicles I have to ask why?  The game is called X-Wing and involves dogfighting, unless there is a variant of the AT-AT with sublight engines =p.  Ground battles need a separate game and a civil war era ground warfare game would be tiny and massively imbalanced.  Using only the three films for reference the rebels have turrets, ion cannons, air speeders and soldiers.  The Empire has massive armoured walkers and soldiers, the Empire wins every single time.

Ground warfare would be better suited to the clone wars anyway since there are again more vehicles to choose from here and both sides are more balanced, but I don't see FFG getting into the ground warfare wargaming when they have space combat, a card game and a tabletop roleplaying system to print money from.