Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Narsil0420

On the Doorstep is Available!

44 posts in this topic

Yeah, that's the real trick, with Dain being kinda the elephant in the room (imo) when talking about dwarf decks.  Is he necessary?  No.  Does he make your dwarves much better?  Yes.  I like Thorin alright, but it's not as if Leadership didn't have other access to resources, and when you need them most is BEFORE getting to that 5 dwarf threshold, although having additional resources can be good any time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jc1138 said:

Yeah, that's the real trick, with Dain being kinda the elephant in the room (imo) when talking about dwarf decks.  Is he necessary?  No.  Does he make your dwarves much better?  Yes.  I like Thorin alright, but it's not as if Leadership didn't have other access to resources, and when you need them most is BEFORE getting to that 5 dwarf threshold, although having additional resources can be good any time. 

All very true; but that's also why my Thorin, Oin, Bombur deck idea is growing on me.  Pull one of the three erebor record keepers that should be in your deck turn 1 and you start getting the xtra resource turn 2. That's huge. Throw in a Navri's belt that you could play turn 2 and paying for things of any color will be a breeze regardless of if you pull steward of gondor. Plus even tho Bombur lacks the card draw perks of Ori as a lore hero, you can easily make up for it with legacy of durin and the new king under the mountain card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

made the deck last night after my box came in; works pretty great but i needed some extra questing power in the second quest to get past smaug so i substituted Dain in for Thorin.  Its also pretty satisfying make Bombur a defensive wall.  Throwing in some cheap dunedain signals and giving him a burning brand turn him into an absolute wall.  His high hp is really nice too especially for the flies and spiders quest because he can soak up a lot of poison before going "unconscious".  Another nice little combo i've found with the deck is using Stargazer (despite her lack of theme…or hey maybe she can help them read the moon writing on the map!) with king under the mountain to consistantly draw a good card and discard an unnecessary (or superflous) one.  Having Oin in the deck i was able to run Will of the West too incase i ran through my deck too quickly (whcih i did especially on the first scenario that makes you discard a lot of cards from your deck a la foundations of stone and the nameless things)

i'm planning on posting a new topic later with my observations on all the players cards and quests later today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pharmboys2013 said:

made the deck last night after my box came in; works pretty great but i needed some extra questing power in the second quest to get past smaug so i substituted Dain in for Thorin.  Its also pretty satisfying make Bombur a defensive wall.  Throwing in some cheap dunedain signals and giving him a burning brand turn him into an absolute wall.  His high hp is really nice too especially for the flies and spiders quest because he can soak up a lot of poison before going "unconscious".  Another nice little combo i've found with the deck is using Stargazer (despite her lack of theme…or hey maybe she can help them read the moon writing on the map!) with king under the mountain to consistantly draw a good card and discard an unnecessary (or superflous) one.  Having Oin in the deck i was able to run Will of the West too incase i ran through my deck too quickly (whcih i did especially on the first scenario that makes you discard a lot of cards from your deck a la foundations of stone and the nameless things)

i'm planning on posting a new topic later with my observations on all the players cards and quests later today

I might try out a deck along those lines myself. I like how you can get all four spheres represented in a single Dwarf deck. 

However, I can't try any solo runs through On the Doorstep until my wife and beat them all together. :P

We're trying to play at least mostly thematic and utilize all 13 dwarves. Her deck is Bombur, Ori, & Nori while mine is Thorin, Balin, and Oin.

So far the only time we've beaten Flies and Spiders, it was via accidentally cheating (we didn't discard all of the Baggins resources on beginning Stage three).

I'd like to make the decks stronger, but I'm not sure how without sacrificing some theme. (Thorin or Balin might need to bow-out in favor of Dain.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pharmboys2013 said:

made the deck last night after my box came in; works pretty great but i needed some extra questing power in the second quest to get past smaug so i substituted Dain in for Thorin.  Its also pretty satisfying make Bombur a defensive wall.  Throwing in some cheap dunedain signals and giving him a burning brand turn him into an absolute wall.  His high hp is really nice too especially for the flies and spiders quest because he can soak up a lot of poison before going "unconscious".  Another nice little combo i've found with the deck is using Stargazer (despite her lack of theme…or hey maybe she can help them read the moon writing on the map!) with king under the mountain to consistantly draw a good card and discard an unnecessary (or superflous) one.  Having Oin in the deck i was able to run Will of the West too incase i ran through my deck too quickly (whcih i did especially on the first scenario that makes you discard a lot of cards from your deck a la foundations of stone and the nameless things)

i'm planning on posting a new topic later with my observations on all the players cards and quests later today

Pharmboys2013 said:

made the deck last night after my box came in; works pretty great but i needed some extra questing power in the second quest to get past smaug so i substituted Dain in for Thorin.  Its also pretty satisfying make Bombur a defensive wall.  Throwing in some cheap dunedain signals and giving him a burning brand turn him into an absolute wall.  His high hp is really nice too especially for the flies and spiders quest because he can soak up a lot of poison before going "unconscious".  Another nice little combo i've found with the deck is using Stargazer (despite her lack of theme…or hey maybe she can help them read the moon writing on the map!) with king under the mountain to consistantly draw a good card and discard an unnecessary (or superflous) one.  Having Oin in the deck i was able to run Will of the West too incase i ran through my deck too quickly (whcih i did especially on the first scenario that makes you discard a lot of cards from your deck a la foundations of stone and the nameless things)

i'm planning on posting a new topic later with my observations on all the players cards and quests later today

Yes please explain about the quests mechanics and game process.

Is it difficult? Sounds like those quests is more easy then HON….

What you can say about each quests?

thanks a lot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glaurung said:

Yes please explain about the quests mechanics and game process.

Is it difficult? Sounds like those quests is more easy then HON….

What you can say about each quests?

thanks a lot

I've only played Flies and Spiders and it's pretty tough. The bulk of the encounter cards are Spiders with effects that are likely to start doing poison to your characters. Poison occurs when you take damage from an attack. When a character has poison equal to their printed Hit Points then they are unconscious  (unable to collect resources or basically do anything). It wouldn't be so bad, but there's a bunch that will poison you even if they don't make successful attacks and then there start being bonuses and automatic damage against poisoned character. The real kicker though, is when the party gets separated (kinda like the Foundations of Stone quest). The first player has to quest and deal with spiders with only Bilbo, until they're slowly able to get some of their characters back. The other players can't move on from where they are until the first player rejoins them and get an extra spider every turn (two extra spiders if there are four players. This is pretty tough in two player.

While the quest is challenging, I'm sure that I could tailor decks that could handle it pretty well. Using ways to kill the spiders in the staging area for instance would make it a lot easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

gatharion said:

Glaurung said:

 

Yes please explain about the quests mechanics and game process.

Is it difficult? Sounds like those quests is more easy then HON….

What you can say about each quests?

thanks a lot

 

 

I've only played Flies and Spiders and it's pretty tough. The bulk of the encounter cards are Spiders with effects that are likely to start doing poison to your characters. Poison occurs when you take damage from an attack. When a character has poison equal to their printed Hit Points then they are unconscious  (unable to collect resources or basically do anything). It wouldn't be so bad, but there's a bunch that will poison you even if they don't make successful attacks and then there start being bonuses and automatic damage against poisoned character. The real kicker though, is when the party gets separated (kinda like the Foundations of Stone quest). The first player has to quest and deal with spiders with only Bilbo, until they're slowly able to get some of their characters back. The other players can't move on from where they are until the first player rejoins them and get an extra spider every turn (two extra spiders if there are four players. This is pretty tough in two player.

While the quest is challenging, I'm sure that I could tailor decks that could handle it pretty well. Using ways to kill the spiders in the staging area for instance would make it a lot easier.

Thanks for info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ted Sandyman said:

Attention all uk players, Gamesquest now have it in stock. Just ordered it, cheers ted.

RRRRRRRR Lucky Dudes! I hope next week i will get it in Bangkok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully its on its way to your part of the world. Lets see how "Glaurungs Dwarf Deck" gets on against this expansion!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ted Sandyman said:

Hopefully its on its way to your part of the world. Lets see how "Glaurungs Dwarf Deck" gets on against this expansion!!

I sow the first quests of the Box i think Thorin Company migh have a problem with this one.

Will see will see. Still Only when Dain get errata i will be happy. this deck is unfair.

There is was i not so bad idea about Dain errata: Something like: Planing action: Exhaust Dain to make All dwarfs character +1 attack or +1 will power until the end of the round. Choose one and limit once per round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glaurung said:

Ted Sandyman said:

 

Hopefully its on its way to your part of the world. Lets see how "Glaurungs Dwarf Deck" gets on against this expansion!!

 

I sow the first quests of the Box i think Thorin Company migh have a problem with this one.

Will see will see. Still Only when Dain get errata i will be happy. this deck is unfair.

There is was i not so bad idea about Dain errata: Something like: Planing action: Exhaust Dain to make All dwarfs character +1 attack or +1 will power until the end of the round. Choose one and limit once per round.

Glaurung: your Thorin deck will own these quests.  My deck (Thorin, Ori &Nori) does ok, but doesn't get the questing power boost from Dain on all the allies in play.  You won't have any trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bullroarer Took said:

Glaurung said:

Ted Sandyman said:

 

Hopefully its on its way to your part of the world. Lets see how "Glaurungs Dwarf Deck" gets on against this expansion!!

 

I sow the first quests of the Box i think Thorin Company migh have a problem with this one.

Will see will see. Still Only when Dain get errata i will be happy. this deck is unfair.

There is was i not so bad idea about Dain errata: Something like: Planing action: Exhaust Dain to make All dwarfs character +1 attack or +1 will power until the end of the round. Choose one and limit once per round.

Glaurung: your Thorin deck will own these quests.  My deck (Thorin, Ori &Nori) does ok, but doesn't get the questing power boost from Dain on all the allies in play.  You won't have any trouble.

Hmmm so Dain is too powerful then….. this guy crying for errata…..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glaurung said:

Ted Sandyman said:

 

Hopefully its on its way to your part of the world. Lets see how "Glaurungs Dwarf Deck" gets on against this expansion!!

 

 

I sow the first quests of the Box i think Thorin Company migh have a problem with this one.

Will see will see. Still Only when Dain get errata i will be happy. this deck is unfair.

There is was i not so bad idea about Dain errata: Something like: Planing action: Exhaust Dain to make All dwarfs character +1 attack or +1 will power until the end of the round. Choose one and limit once per round.

 

ive agreed previously that the deck is really good and I've had lots of fun playing with iterations of it myself, but I just can't understand the insistence that it needs to be merged. You claim it is unfair…unfair to who? Who are the victims? The encounter deck? It's an object I don't think it minds, the game makers? They already got your money they prob don't care if its unfair. to the players? We chose to use the deck knowing it is likely you'll be able to beat most scenarios, no one is forcing anyone.

they only way that I see Dain as a potential problem for the game is in the new competitive format (which isn't even released yet) hopefully in the near future other traits will gain power like the dwarves (who are u likely to see any specific cards anytime soon) so that there are multiple competitive deck styles to make.  It would be a shame if it is errata'd then a few months down the line after the AtS cycle is complete Gondor is now the new super power and no one cares to use dwarf decks becuse they've been nerfed to the point of being obsolete (like most errata'd cards)

whew, that's my two cents anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pharmboys2013 said:

Glaurung said:

 

Ted Sandyman said:

 

Hopefully its on its way to your part of the world. Lets see how "Glaurungs Dwarf Deck" gets on against this expansion!!

 

 

I sow the first quests of the Box i think Thorin Company migh have a problem with this one.

Will see will see. Still Only when Dain get errata i will be happy. this deck is unfair.

There is was i not so bad idea about Dain errata: Something like: Planing action: Exhaust Dain to make All dwarfs character +1 attack or +1 will power until the end of the round. Choose one and limit once per round.

 

 

 

ive agreed previously that the deck is really good and I've had lots of fun playing with iterations of it myself, but I just can't understand the insistence that it needs to be merged. You claim it is unfair…unfair to who? Who are the victims? The encounter deck? It's an object I don't think it minds, the game makers? They already got your money they prob don't care if its unfair. to the players? We chose to use the deck knowing it is likely you'll be able to beat most scenarios, no one is forcing anyone.

they only way that I see Dain as a potential problem for the game is in the new competitive format (which isn't even released yet) hopefully in the near future other traits will gain power like the dwarves (who are u likely to see any specific cards anytime soon) so that there are multiple competitive deck styles to make.  It would be a shame if it is errata'd then a few months down the line after the AtS cycle is complete Gondor is now the new super power and no one cares to use dwarf decks becuse they've been nerfed to the point of being obsolete (like most errata'd cards)

whew, that's my two cents anyway

There is a couple ^unfair things^

First is unfair for the game balance. In my opinion is not right when some combinaion of cards is too powerful in the game. Is meat bad job of designers.

Is unfair for tournaments system

And is unfair to Tolkien world. I like to fear the encounter cards not laugh about them. I can win in 5 rounds again Balrog. I dont scare him and feel boring.

In Middle-earh ccg or Lotr Tcg all Mordor cards was scary. You really have a problem and scre them. Is good fit Tolkien them. here is just a matter who make it more quicly. Is only 1 powerful enemy in the gmae now is Smaug. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that FFG do care about our opinions regarding the over powerful dwarf deck. I fully expect them to learn from that and not to make Gondor (or any other trait) too powerful. Im sure in hindsight they could have adjusted Dains special ability to boost HEROES ONLY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0