Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toqtamish

Edge of Darkness Deluxe Expansion

84 posts in this topic

Once a product is on a boat, the estimate is usually correct.  If I had to guess, I'd say it'll be in stores the week of March 18

I was a little miffed when I first heard about needing to buy two copies of Edge of Darkness, but on the whole I think it'll work out for the best. It still ultimately ends up being bigger enough from the montly Force Packs that I feel fine. We'll be seeing roughly five new pods a month from the Force Packs, with this expansion we get 22 unique pods. Buying two copies costs the same as four Force Packs, and you end up with a bit more. Coming from AGOT, where I had to buy the two expansions for the two additional houses, Greyjoy and Martell, separately, I look at it as being worth getting all these cards at once, versus getting half as many in duplicate and inevitably having to wait for another expansion release to get the rest.

So, who's up for some speculation on what we'll be seeing in the pack? I'm assuming the 22 objective sets will break down into 7 pods for Smugglers and Scum each, 1 pod each for Jedi, Sith, Navy, and Rebel, and 2 pods for Neutral Dark and Light. That keeps everything evenly distributed for someone who only owns the core set and the expansion, which tends to be how FFG designs their products.

From what the news articles have said, we have definite or pretty near definite confirmation on several major units: Scum's got Jabba, Bib Fortuna, Slave I,  Greedo, and Bossk coming; Smugglers have Lando and Chewie, and I would be surprised not to see a Millennium Falcon pod as well. Blockade Runner is also the second of six cards in its respective set. I imagine each of those units will be the major card in their own pods.

We know Rebel is getting both Bail Organa and Tantive IV, which I assume come from the same objective set. We've seen a Navy objective, Imperial Blockade, but no idea what it says and there don't seem to be any other spoiled or partially spoiled Navy cards yet. There's also a Sith enhancement, Dark Memories, but no other information. And no sightings of any Jedi cards yet. We've also seen two Neutral units, Wookiee Warrior and Paid Informant, but its hard to say where they might belong. Wookiees are pretty safely Light, but it could be either from a Neutral pod or a Smuggler pod. (If it's a Neutral pod, one which all the factions could conceivably want to run, it'd make Bossk's capturing-Wookiees-equals-draw ability work more consistently). Hard to say on Paid Informant.

We can also speculate a bit on other, vaguer suggestions in the announcements. Bothans are mentioned, in bold Trait text no less, which seems to make it a pretty safe bet that they'll show up in Smugglers and Spies. (The Sabotage card, despite its Han and Chewie art, could make the most sense in a Bothan pod.) Will we just see some non-unique Bothan spies, or will they flesh out the species a bit more? Maybe we'll see a card for Borsk Fey'lya. And given that I dunno what other cards could appear in Smugglers, I wonder if we'll also be seeing Talon Karrde?

The other two species mentioned are Jawas and Tusken Raiders, though I'm curious to see which affiliations FFG assigns them to. Tusken Raiders seem pretty safe on the Dark Side, but will they be a part of Scum and Villainy (a lot of Tattoine in that faction), or are they Neutral Dark? And Jawas, I'm not sure they necessarily fit on either the Light or the Dark side, they're about as truly neutral as you can get. Dark Side certainly seems the wrong place for them, so I'd say they make the most sense as Neutral Light.

So rather than re-read the whole thread, do people think that this will hit before the Hoth Force packs? Or are we talking about the first Force Packs around 18 March?

We'll probably be about halfway through the Hoth cycle by the time this expansion comes out. The first Hoth pack should (hopefully) be out next month; the Edge of Darkness announcement puts the release as Q2 2013. It's probably best to be a bit pessimistic about the release date and assume it'll be the end of Quarter Two, so it'll probably be around June.

To recap the thread, we need 2 of each expansion set ( hoth packs and edge of darkness) for competitive play, correct?

XWing32 said:

To recap the thread, we need 2 of each expansion set ( hoth packs and edge of darkness) for competitive play, correct?

No. You will need 2 copies of Edge of Darkness, but only 1 of each hoth pack. FFG clearly said that there will be two copies of each objective set, except for the ones that say "Limit 1 per deck."