Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toqtamish

Edge of Darkness Deluxe Expansion

84 posts in this topic

The "coolness" factor aside, my first impression was something like "WTH, I have to buy two to get a complete playset!?".  it didn't take long before it dawned on me that this isn't really a delux expansion.  It's more like a second starter for the two missing factions. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ziggy2000 said:

Nexuhs said:

 

All this talk about purchasing extra sets made me think of something and tell me if I'm just crazy because it's a competive card game, but…

 

I completely understand the idea and stagetic power behind owning 2x core sets, deluxe expansion sets, and even smaller expansion sets for deckbuilding purposes and competitive tournament play… That being said, FFG seem to pride themselves on the "closeness" to the movie battles and events during gameplay and they obviously want to stay true to the franchise so how is for example: playing 2x Obi-Wan cards among others staying with the feel of the franchise.

I can see it for TIE fighters and other standard units like that but for Elite cards such as Yoda, Vader, Paplatine etc I personally think it takes away from the feel of it. Can you appreciate what I mean? or are you all hardcore card players and you gotta do what you gotta do to win haha. Am I alone in this?

 

 

Uhm, Obi-Wan is a unique card, and therefore you cannot "play" 2x of him… also all of the other Elite cards you mention…

 

I think he's referring to being able to play them twice (one gets destroyed and you play another one a few hands later).  Thematically, I look at it more as a retreat than that character being killed.  They flee in the face of overwhelming odds to come back and fight another day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, I LOVE some of the thematic things going on with this set.  The blockade runner getting stronger when it attacks alone, representing a lone ship running a blockade.  The Hive of Scum and Villainy objective echoing "No blasters!  No blasters!"  All the fun stuff going on with the capture mechanics.  Really looking forward to this set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kiwamu said:

flightmaster101 said:

 

Kiwamu said:

 

If my math isn't off, you seem correct (22*5=110) and I guess again two sets are in there a second time (like the core game)… well at least I know how much to order …

 

 

22*6=132 (objective cards are still cards)

 

 

 

I knew something was off… well I know now^what it was… besides they pretty much updated their news page and confirmed it…

No worries, this just reminds me of the old AOGT Chapter packs and expansions where you needed 2 to get a 3x/card set for play. 

I think I wouldnt mind buying 2 sets as long as there are no "Only 1 of this objective per deck" objective sets in it.  Otherwise I'm gonna be stuck with an extra 1 only set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nexuhs said:

All this talk about purchasing extra sets made me think of something and tell me if I'm just crazy because it's a competive card game, but…

 

I completely understand the idea and stagetic power behind owning 2x core sets, deluxe expansion sets, and even smaller expansion sets for deckbuilding purposes and competitive tournament play… That being said, FFG seem to pride themselves on the "closeness" to the movie battles and events during gameplay and they obviously want to stay true to the franchise so how is for example: playing 2x Obi-Wan cards among others staying with the feel of the franchise.

I can see it for TIE fighters and other standard units like that but for Elite cards such as Yoda, Vader, Paplatine etc I personally think it takes away from the feel of it. Can you appreciate what I mean? or are you all hardcore card players and you gotta do what you gotta do to win haha. Am I alone in this?

I can see what you mean, but I think FFG isn't so much concerened with theme with this move. To me it seems more like they want to give the casual player a more traditional game feel with a core set and a few expansions. It seems to me they want to market the big boxes toward casual players and the Force packs toward "hard core" players wihle also enticing "hard core" players to buy multiples of the core and each deluxe expansion.

As for me, though, I really want to compete, but I just want to compete for the fun of it so I can play different people and different decks. So I see myself as somewhere between casual and competitive. However, I still want two of every objective set, not because it helps you win but because it's more fun. For example, there are only 3 DS objectives with Fighter units. If you built a deck with just those 3, you would not be very likely to execute card combos. For me, a lot of the fun of a card game is in getting combos to work. Whether I win or lose, if I was able to pull off something nifty, then it was a good game. That is not as likely to happen when I have 10 different objectives in my deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

flightmaster101 said:

Kiwamu said:

 

flightmaster101 said:

 

Kiwamu said:

 

If my math isn't off, you seem correct (22*5=110) and I guess again two sets are in there a second time (like the core game)… well at least I know how much to order …

 

 

22*6=132 (objective cards are still cards)

 

 

 

I knew something was off… well I know now^what it was… besides they pretty much updated their news page and confirmed it…

 

 

No worries, this just reminds me of the old AOGT Chapter packs and expansions where you needed 2 to get a 3x/card set for play. 

I think I wouldnt mind buying 2 sets as long as there are no "Only 1 of this objective per deck" objective sets in it.  Otherwise I'm gonna be stuck with an extra 1 only set.

So far the only "limit 1" objective sets have been neutral objectives, if I remember correctly.  I'm actually glad to have more than one of these since I generally keep a deck for each affiliation, so that extra objective might be needed.  Obviously that could be an issue once I start keeping 6 decks after this expansion comes out, but hopefully there will not be an objective that I would need in all 3 decks on one side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there actually many people with no aspirations toward competitive play? Are there people who would buy a core set, some chapter packs, and this expansion, and only ever play with others in their own house, etc.? Even if you only play against one other friend, you would want full playsets of things, especially if that friend had them. 

I don't care how many cards are included, I don't care how much it costs, but FFG needs to include full playsets of things, and even 2x of the "limit one per deck" objective sets. Any objective released should be an auto-2x in its package. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

divinityofnumber said:

Are there actually many people with no aspirations toward competitive play? Are there people who would buy a core set, some chapter packs, and this expansion, and only ever play with others in their own house, etc.? Even if you only play against one other friend, you would want full playsets of things, especially if that friend had them. 

I don't care how many cards are included, I don't care how much it costs, but FFG needs to include full playsets of things, and even 2x of the "limit one per deck" objective sets. Any objective released should be an auto-2x in its package. 

So you would be fine paying twice the cost for an expansion with 264 cards?  Or would you rather the expansion have only 12 new objective sets and pay the same price for a full playset?  Personally I'm happy for more cards to create a more diverse game.  Given that, I'll begrudge FFG the flexibility to market this to the more casual gamer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say, I'd personally prefer 132 different cards in one box than 2 different boxes that contain 2x of 66 cards where I'd have to buy both to be able to try every card.  The option to buy 2 of the same box for a full set is great for casual players or competitive players that just want to use 1x of any objective set in the box for their competitive decks.

I assume that 2x of 132 cards would force the box to cost 2x the current price of a deluxe box, so what is the difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow…..

It is awesome to be excited again about a SW card game. The PC was great for keeping the old game alive, but it became less fun. FF has done a great job promoting this game with all the images, I just hope they make the street date for all these sets. Those that play other LCGs from FF, do they ever delay sets?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rogue 4 said:

Wow…..

It is awesome to be excited again about a SW card game. The PC was great for keeping the old game alive, but it became less fun. FF has done a great job promoting this game with all the images, I just hope they make the street date for all these sets. Those that play other LCGs from FF, do they ever delay sets?

 

Well they've already delayed the Search for Skywalker force pack (and presumably, the other force packs as well).  Initially, they said Desolation of Hoth and Search for Skywalker were q1 and Dark Time was q2.  Now they say Desolation in March (still q1), Skywalker in April (now q2), and Dark Time in May (still q2).  Technically only one of those is outside of the initial release target, but I assume that all of them have been delayed a month from what FFG initially intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problem with this distribution. 

1 set gets you 1 of every objective set. If you play competitively, get 2 and that's all you need.

FFG really had no choice but to do it this way. In AGoT, the deluxe boxes are focused on 1 house, which works because all the cards could potentially go in a deck. In Star Wars, they have both light side and dark side, so it wouldn't make sense to expand one side of the force and not the other. This is most similar to some of the early Warhammer: Invasion boxes. They could not do 2x objective sets without reducing the number of unique sets or increasing the price to a point equal or higher to a core set, which they would never do. FFG is providing us more variety, equally expanding the sides, and giving us a reasonable price.

For the completionist buying 2 boxes, it is like purchasing a Scum box and a Smuggler box without waiting months in between. For the casual player / collector, they are getting what they want in 1 box.

Good job FFG!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ziggy2000 said:

 

Uhm, Obi-Wan is a unique card, and therefore you cannot "play" 2x of him… also all of the other Elite cards you mention…

 

 

 

Yeah sorry, I later that day discovered the line in the rules explaining this, dont know how i miss it but thanks anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

doctormungmung said:

divinityofnumber said:

 

Are there actually many people with no aspirations toward competitive play? Are there people who would buy a core set, some chapter packs, and this expansion, and only ever play with others in their own house, etc.? Even if you only play against one other friend, you would want full playsets of things, especially if that friend had them. 

I don't care how many cards are included, I don't care how much it costs, but FFG needs to include full playsets of things, and even 2x of the "limit one per deck" objective sets. Any objective released should be an auto-2x in its package. 

 

 

So you would be fine paying twice the cost for an expansion with 264 cards?  Or would you rather the expansion have only 12 new objective sets and pay the same price for a full playset?  Personally I'm happy for more cards to create a more diverse game.  Given that, I'll begrudge FFG the flexibility to market this to the more casual gamer.

I want to pick up a product and know that I have playsets. It is a minor point of contention. I will obviously be buying two, if I have to in order to have playsets. But, something about it feels odd and lame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

superradjoe said:

Lets be honest, would you really be interested in a set that's just 11 objective sets?

I would buy a set of 14 x2 objectives and 2 1x only for 180 cards for smugglers and another for scum.  Just like I got 180 card Martell and Greyjoy sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aargh, in my quest to support my FLGS I'm still awaiting release of the game in NZ, already drooling over Hoth cycle and now a deluxe set to keep an eye out for.

looking forward to all core, cycle and deluxe expansions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

stormwolf27 said:

 

yagyu said:

 

sweet bail organa is gonna be in this set

 

 

Where did you see this? and why would he be in this set?

 

 

Because every affiliation gets a OSet in the box. He is on the background image on the Edge of Darkness sites main page. First in the fan of 3 cards. Rebel Alliance, 3 cost, 3 damage capacity, 3 force icons, 1 tactics icon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say i am quite happy to see this deluxe box set come out, was a little disapointed at first about having to buy to but when i looked more closely it is just the missing cards from the core set. it pads out the smugglers / scum pools. as for having more pods that are only limit 1 per deck does not bother me.  I like to have multiple decks and it will save on deck building time if i am having multiple decks run this pod.

As only 2 people, my self included, in my play group currently have the cards, having the extra limit 1 pods help with my friends who want to play but are not quite sure yet about commiting to the game. And with the next deluxe more than likely being the multiplayer / WoW raid one it will help further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toqtamish said:

 

 

Because every affiliation gets a OSet in the box. He is on the background image on the Edge of Darkness sites main page. First in the fan of 3 cards. Rebel Alliance, 3 cost, 3 damage capacity, 3 force icons, 1 tactics icon.

Wait, which page is this?  Link please?  I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just can't find it and if there's a fan of cards I haven't seen yet I want to find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, I see it now.  Sweet.  Now if only I can figure out a way to grab that image… I think the event card is also not shown elsewhere…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0