Sign in to follow this  
Lanowar2

Fallout 3 In Dark Heresy?

Been playing alot of Fallout 3 and it be a cool game to run using the Dark Heresy rules ok it's not the first rule set you would think off when trying to make a new game. I've not put much thought into it but here's what I got so far.

• Change the lores to reflect the universe (Super mutants, Brotherhood of steel, Raiders, Conclave, Wasteland, Robot etc etc.
  • Drop psychic powers and perhaps corruption becomes Radiation as your radiation increases stuff goes down like gaining mutations and the like?
  • Classes are renamed to be more universal then Warhammer specific (Tech Priest becomes Mechanic)
  • Weapons would be intresting like how would you do a flaming sword in Dark Heresy?
  • Mutant's become Supermutants, Ghoul's would be easy enough to do, Robot's are servitors, Genestealers or Lictors could easily be modded to be Deathclaws.

What do people think?

Hahah! This is so wierd, I was just thinking something similar along the lines to this! Well, not really, I wa splaying Fallout and wondering if there was a Space Marine mod, but I digress...

It could work, could. Everything would have to be scaled down majorly, so no hive cities sprawling continents :( Or space ships. Well, there is one in Fallout 3, but that's a one off....

Also, you may end up having a lot mroe types of Super Mutants and Deathclaws, since condesncing entire species' into one class is rather limiting.

Also, what about the Chaos gods? And would the players be Acolytes of the Enclave?

That's the thing you would need to remove the chaos gods it's more about the Mutants, Robots, and humans then deep dark things that live in the warp. If anything the group is more like a typical roleplaying party brought together for any number of reasons be it survival, adventure, fame or money. You could be vault dwellers that undertake missions for there overseer so the vault can survive, maybe you live in Megaton and the group is tasked with taking a message to the next town over. You could very well be a member of the enclave or work for Talon corp. Most likely you would be residents of a town banded together for many a reason.

It's not a perfect fit granted and it won't be a cakewalk to use but at the same time there's alot more going for it then if you used somthing like Savage Worlds or the D100 system.

hahahha! I did this with some friends a month or two ago, only it wasn't very well though out, and had something to do with the warp, and a planet isolated from the imperium, it wasn't very well thought out when we started...

The campaign I'm currently running is currently occupying a "fallout-esque" planet. I called it a dead world from a horrific civil war that the imperium has completely abandoned due to the radiation, seismic disturbances, complete lack of tithe-worthy goods, or anything really of any value to the imperium. I altered all the availability ratings on items and changed the time and avaiability charts. I also made up a "perils of the wastes" chart for when they fail navigation/survival tests.

I replaced the enclave with a renegade tech-priest and his minions, replaced their little drones buzzing around with servo skulls, and don't have the brotherhood around. Mutants are easy to port over, and supermutants are represented by ogryns, basing them off the stats in DotDG.

At some point, I was planning on typing this stuff all up and putting it online somewhere, but I don't know how long that'll be.

So far, they're not doing a good job of blending with the populace and not seeming like they came from off world to hunt this guy down...we'll see how it goes.

Peril's of the waste sounds intresting I have to admit. the only problem I have is how to do Radiation, it can easily replace Corruption but how you would get Radiation is a problem it be unfair for PC's to pick it up like the game. I didn't think of using Ogryns as Supermutants but it works the other day I messed about with the Lores skills and the Peer skills mostly replacing it with Fallout groups (Raiders, Brotherhood of steel etc etc) and also created some new talents (really just old ones with a new name)

Child At Heart

+10 to Fellowship when dealing with children

Lady Killer/Black Widow

+10 to Fellowship when dealing with the opposite sex

Bloody Mess

Critical damage is increased by one

I am trying to think of some starting packages at the moment I more or less have names

Vault Dweller
Freed Slave
Ex-Raider
Brotherhood of Steel Recruit
Ghoul (works like the untouchable quality in DotDG)

I don't know if anyone is actually following this topic but I began work on the "races" of Fallout so to speak, condensing the origins of most of the people you met. (Minus Super-mutant) Also need help with the names I've changed Tech-Priest but some obviously don't need to change (Scum and Assassin)

Tech-Priest- Mechanic (Fixer of machines)
Adapt-
Arbitrator-
Scum- Scum
Cleric-
Assassins- Assassins
Guardsmen-

Vault Dweller

You lived your life behind the sealed door of a vault, life wasn’t easy but compared to the wastelands it was a whole lot harsher. Maybe the water processing chip stopped working or a relative fled or you were exiled but for some reason you are out in the wastelands now fending for yourself.

Careers
Adapt- Studier of knowledge, teacher of children
Arbitrators- Police force of the Vault
Clerics- Religious and moral centre
Mechanic- Mechanics to fix there machines

The GOAT Exam

As part of every Vault Dweller’s passage to adulthood you are expected to undertake the GOAT exam. The test is a series of moral dilemmas designed to assign your perfect career.

Effect: Depending on your starting career increase your characteristic by +3
Adapt- Intelligence +3
Arbitrators- Perception +3
Clerics- Fellowship +3
Mechanic- Willpower +3

Ghoul

You thought the worst of it was over when you were exposed to the radiation, and then your hair fell out. That’s when you knew what was happening you were becoming a Ghoul. Now as walking corpse you try your best to survive knowing that if you were to give up you’ll become a feral animal.

Careers
Scum- Perfect underworld enforces
Clerics- Leader's of there kind, champions of the Ghoul way
Assassins- There grizzly visage is the last thing you'll ever see
Guardsmen- It's tough to survive down there, best be armed

Settler

You live in what passes for a town in the wastelands it could be a series of shacks guarded by an iron fence or a crashed naval carrier converted into a city the point is you are now a member of a society. It will be a hard road but either out of a need to survive or a desire to do good you are willing to help out your town when asked to do so.

Careers
Adapt- Scientists, Doctors and Historians for the city
Arbitrators- Secruity detail makes sure everyone gets along
Mechanic- Keep's everything going
Cleric- Keep's everyone going

Wastelander

You are on the edge of a new frontier there’s so much opportunity to explore and adventure to be had. From raiding the robot factory to discovering new townships and exotic locations you live your life as you want to. Usually you are alone but sometimes a job will come along that’s too much for one person.

Careers
Scum- It's a rough world out there
Mechanic- Looking for machine parts for that pet project
Guardsmen- It's killed or be killed
Assassin- And sometimes you just want someone dead

I think this is AWESOME!  Just finished Operation Anchorage and am still pumped about The Pitt.  Keep up the work man, also remember that ghouls are actually healed by radiation, and that super mutants leave them alone.

I was talking to a freind last week about how this system would be as close to perfect for this setting as there is now.  I was thinking of a BOS game.  Adepst and Techpriests would be Scribes,  Arbites and Guard would be Knights.

Peviously I had been toying with using Alpha Omega, as you could make anything in that system much like Hero, but DH is closer to begin with and thus would be WAAAAY less work to make it fit.  gui%C3%B1o.gif

Heck, with VERY few tweaks Fallout makes a perfectly acceptable lost death world.  It'd be interesting to to see the Imperium arriving to reclaim it.  :P

Aureus said:

Heck, with VERY few tweaks Fallout makes a perfectly acceptable lost death world.  It'd be interesting to to see the Imperium arriving to reclaim it.  :P

I would say a lost War World...(Thus Imperial world)

Yeah, I went with Dead War World. I actually many years ago ran a long and statisfying Shadowrun Campaign based on a Fallout setting. I actually just printed out the map from the first game and filled in the blanks with my own inventions.

Post apocalypse is fun as hell, and the reason I did it was to "tone down" my campaign. AKA, take away the party's toys and throw them at nasty horrifying things without all their gear. It also forces them to rely on other skills than they normally would, like navigation, survival, medicae, bartering, etc.

Aftermath anybody?!  

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aftermath!

Fallout 3 would indeed make a great setting for a 40k game...perhaps not for Dark Heresy, but for a desparate band of survivors on a War World, for sure.

The one thing i'd note though is that the Fallout 3 main story / narrative doesn't really fit 40k at all...its FAR too optimistic...partido_risa.gif

Hey all,

I'm new here, and I saw this interesting thread and had to reply.

I'm currently playing FO3, and am another person who has thought of using DH in a post-apoc setting. I would give more details, but I don't want to have any of my potential players reading this! ;)

Cheers! :D

Well I spent yesterday brainstorming and got about to changing the backgrounds. Void Born, Imperial World, Hive World and Feral World become Vault Dweller, Ghoul, Settler and Wastelander. I mix and matched from all the backgrounds (including Forge World and Noble Born and Schola Progerium) it's a bit long though.

The biggest problem I have though is Radiation I want it to replace Corruption but not sure how exactly without forcing people to roll every 5 seconds whenever they eat somthing!

Lanowar said:

The biggest problem I have though is Radiation I want it to replace Corruption but not sure how exactly without forcing people to roll every 5 seconds whenever they eat somthing!

How about: Make a Toughness check whenever you come into contact with a radioactive source (contaminated water, nuke site, whatever). Each source has two radiation levels - one for those that make the toughness check, and one for those that didn't. Sources are either one-shot (touch this and you gain three rad points) or constant (take one rad point per minute of exposure) with a specified frequences (ie. how often you gain the indicated amount of radiation). Stuff like Rad-X would just decrease rad point gain for a period by X amount.

That way you'd only have to roll once per incident.

Alternatively you could just say that Toughness doesn't make any difference at all, and skip rolling entirely.

Slaunyeh said:

Lanowar said:

Alternatively you could just say that Toughness doesn't make any difference at all, and skip rolling entirely.

Being contaminated with radiation has no bearing on someone's physical fitness/well-being/toughness. Believe it or not, I have been contaminated (externally, thankfully) and my fortitude did not help me. (I work in a hospital's radiation department, if you're interested).

ComicJam said:

Slaunyeh said:

Lanowar said:

Being contaminated with radiation has no bearing on someone's physical fitness/well-being/toughness. Believe it or not, I have been contaminated (externally, thankfully) and my fortitude did not help me. (I work in a hospital's radiation department, if you're interested).

You could make it a Fellowship test for all the difference it makes. It was more of a "should there be some sort of save against this or not?" conundrum. Having a save would mean some people break down a little slower than others. Without, you could set your watch to it. Depends on what ya want out of the system.

Reading both Insanity and Corruption I think it's best it should work like Insanity but uses Toughness instead of Willpower. Why toughness because even if Radiation doesn't really work like that I got to give the players somthing to roll otherwise it be "you get Radiation...wait where are you going." Radiation itself has a degree just like Fear to represent how radioactive somthing is and like fear the more radioactive they become the less weaker sources effect them. If you become more radioactive you gain mutations and can spend XP or large amounts of money to decrease your radiation.

Rad-Away instead of curing Radiation would help you fight aganist it, giving you a +20 bonus to fighting Radiation and lasts for a certain amount of time.