Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kennon

2 Champs and a Chump- Episode 100: Ultrasode!

18 posts in this topic

Be prepared guys, this one is a doozy! Some of you may remember an interview that we scored early in our run with a certain man named George RR Martin, without whom this game wouldn't exist. Well, sadly, getting another one is likely to be next to impossible, so what did we do for this milestone episode? Instead we went right to the source and loaded down this 3 hour ultrasode with 4 interviews with FFG's AGOT designer/developers past and present. Yes, that's right- inside you'll find Eric Lang, Casey Galvan, Nate French, and Damon Stone jam packed together with our patented 2C1C goodness. Plus, a Moonboy Classic Retrospective and stuff. Be aware, this episode is extremely SFW. Except for Darryl.

Mostly.

Ok, pretty much just that last quote from him.

And last but not least, I'd like to give a very special props here to the folks who keep me doing this- the fantastic listeners that we've had over the years. Cheers, and here's to 100 more!

We'll be recording episode 101 this week, and we're looking for feedback. Going forward into the next 100 episodes, what would you like to hear? Be sure to email us at 2champs1chump@gmail.com

Geeze, I wish I could get one of the website guys on the show to answer that. Have they overloaded their database or something? It's been growing orders of magnitude worse each week.

Kennon said:

Geeze, I wish I could get one of the website guys on the show to answer that. Have they overloaded their database or something? It's been growing orders of magnitude worse each week.

I actually contacted FFG's website support about the sluggishness of the site a couple of weeks ago. They said they are aware of the issues and they are working on improving it, but they didn't specify in what way or what the time frame for that is.

So was I the only one extremely fascinated by Eric's explanation of some of the early design of the game? Or Nate's walk through the design of the melee Titles? Or better yet, Nate's surprisingly candid admission that The Maester's Path was too much?

All of the designers were very interesting, especially that Darryl guy.  You should try to get them on the show more often.

Kennon said:

So was I the only one extremely fascinated by Eric's explanation of some of the early design of the game? Or Nate's walk through the design of the melee Titles? Or better yet, Nate's surprisingly candid admission that The Maester's Path was too much?

I enjoyed hearing Eric's explanation of early design decisions. Nate's admission of TMP felt pretty straightforward. It was playtested against wildlings in their heyday. Since wildlings received a nerf for being too strong, it only makes sense TMP would similarly need to be brought down too.

Awesome! Glad to hear it!

Folks have been begging us to get Nate on the show forever, and it was awesom to finally have a big enough milestone episode that I could guilt him into appearing. ;)

Eric was the real treat for me -- hearing him talk about how he and Chris thought up the core components and mechanics of the game was really cool.  Definitely loved the episode, thanks for bringing stuff like this to the community.

Vaapad said:

Eric was the real treat for me -- hearing him talk about how he and Chris thought up the core components and mechanics of the game was really cool.  Definitely loved the episode, thanks for bringing stuff like this to the community.

ooo that actually makes me want to listen to this one. havent listened since worlds. might be time to dive back in.

@Vaapad- Yeah, talking to Eric was a total blast. I'd love to have the chance to pick his brain about game design more generally again.

@DCDennis- You should give episode 100 a whirl, if nothing else. Many of the questions are roughly the same for the designers, to keep the structure up, the way in which each of them answers is pretty fascinating to me, and getting a bunch of behind the scenes info was pretty cool.

In other news about structure, you guys may notice a bit more structure to the episodes going forward. I'm making a bit tighter structure a goal here after episode 100, so let me know how it goes.

Great episode. Nice interviews, good choice of questions, some good information. It was a good length too, given that I had a 4 hr plane-ride.

I very much appreciate the work you guys do to bring us 2c1c, and it's good to hear that some of the devs (past and present) feel the same!