Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RGun

The Ongoing Pain of Ithilien!

26 posts in this topic

Arghhh…after playing this quest solo 2-handed about 15 times over the last month and not yet winning I finally thought I was going to claim victory tonight only to have it snatched away from me at the last minute!  I was on the final quest stage and it looked like if I committed all my characters to the quest I could win through….so with 13 characters committed I started turning over encounter cards….wham…first card is the @#$%$ Watcher in the Wood…"When revealed raise each players threat by the number of questing characters".  Game Over.  Finished.  Nothing left to do but pack the cards away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Into Ithilien is a pain to be sure. Took quite a few (alot actually) tries before I solved it with my lotr partner. In the end we found that lore cards to look at and manipulate the encounter deck raised our chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RGun said:

Arghhh…after playing this quest solo 2-handed about 15 times over the last month and not yet winning I finally thought I was going to claim victory tonight only to have it snatched away from me at the last minute!  I was on the final quest stage and it looked like if I committed all my characters to the quest I could win through….so with 13 characters committed I started turning over encounter cards….wham…first card is the @#$%$ Watcher in the Wood…"When revealed raise each players threat by the number of questing characters".  Game Over.  Finished.  Nothing left to do but pack the cards away.

I've had that happen a few times.  The trechary cards are brutal in this quest, so I just tried a deck including Eleanor and three test of wills and two dwarves tombs to counter this.  In a solo one handed game last night, I used her, Beorn, and Beregond, and they really hung in their for the win.  21 rounds, 49 threat, and both Beregond and Beorn were destroyed.  I almost went through the encounter deck twice.  A lot of this is attributed to the consistent treachery cancelation of Eleanor and the spirit threat reduction cards she has access to.  What a game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tracker1 said:

I almost went through the encounter deck twice.  A lot of this is attributed to the consistent treachery cancelation of Eleanor and the spirit threat reduction cards she has access to.  What a game!

Prefer Out of the Wild (lore event) myself for those prolonged games. Gets rid of those nasties once and for all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nerdmeister said:

Prefer Out of the Wild (lore event) myself for those prolonged games. Gets rid of those nasties once and for all.

 

Indeed, and if we ever get some Lore event recursion like Hama does for Tactics, we'll really be in business!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tracker1 said:

RGun said:

 

Arghhh…after playing this quest solo 2-handed about 15 times over the last month and not yet winning I finally thought I was going to claim victory tonight only to have it snatched away from me at the last minute!  I was on the final quest stage and it looked like if I committed all my characters to the quest I could win through….so with 13 characters committed I started turning over encounter cards….wham…first card is the @#$%$ Watcher in the Wood…"When revealed raise each players threat by the number of questing characters".  Game Over.  Finished.  Nothing left to do but pack the cards away.

 

 

I've had that happen a few times.  The trechary cards are brutal in this quest, so I just tried a deck including Eleanor and three test of wills and two dwarves tombs to counter this.  In a solo one handed game last night, I used her, Beorn, and Beregond, and they really hung in their for the win.  21 rounds, 49 threat, and both Beregond and Beorn were destroyed.  I almost went through the encounter deck twice.  A lot of this is attributed to the consistent treachery cancelation of Eleanor and the spirit threat reduction cards she has access to.  What a game!

Everyone who claims to have problems with this scenario should give Eleanor a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The scenario is yet another reason that A Test of Will is the most important card in the game. Any deck I make that I want to beat multiple quests will use 3x A Test of Will and at least 2x Will of the West (to allow me to recur A Test of Will, among other cards). Until another sphere gains reliable methods to cancel scenario-breaking Treachery cards, any deck I run will have at least 1 Spirit hero, Song of Travel, or Aragorn plus Celebrian's Stone.

That said… If you learn which treacheries are likely to hit you, the scenario's not that hard if you have A Test of Will and can soak the early pressure (I like Frodo for that bit).

Troymk1 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thorongil said:

The scenario is yet another reason that A Test of Will is the most important card in the game. Any deck I make that I want to beat multiple quests will use 3x A Test of Will and at least 2x Will of the West (to allow me to recur A Test of Will, among other cards). Until another sphere gains reliable methods to cancel scenario-breaking Treachery cards, any deck I run will have at least 1 Spirit hero, Song of Travel, or Aragorn plus Celebrian's Stone.

That said… If you learn which treacheries are likely to hit you, the scenario's not that hard if you have A Test of Will and can soak the early pressure (I like Frodo for that bit).

 

There is the way how to win without spirit and without Test of will. My Thorin Company deck can win all quests( Dol-Guldor is only one problem) and there is no spirit only Lore/Leadership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Literally beat this quest yesterday (albeit on my second try) solo using a very similar version of Galarung's "Thorin and company" deck

I have to say, "hardy leadership" is so necessary to avoid the destruction of cheap allies from blocking wargs.  Everything else is managible 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glaurung said:

Thorongil said:

 

The scenario is yet another reason that A Test of Will is the most important card in the game. Any deck I make that I want to beat multiple quests will use 3x A Test of Will and at least 2x Will of the West (to allow me to recur A Test of Will, among other cards). Until another sphere gains reliable methods to cancel scenario-breaking Treachery cards, any deck I run will have at least 1 Spirit hero, Song of Travel, or Aragorn plus Celebrian's Stone.

That said… If you learn which treacheries are likely to hit you, the scenario's not that hard if you have A Test of Will and can soak the early pressure (I like Frodo for that bit).

 

 

 

There is the way how to win without spirit and without Test of will. My Thorin Company deck can win all quests( Dol-Guldor is only one problem) and there is no spirit only Lore/Leadership.

How do u make it through Cair Andros? I feel like the deck doesn't have enough defense to quest successfully especially early game when traveling through the battlegrounds is so important. Playing with a second deck it can be done, but solo it's quite the obstacle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Henamarth Riversong (look at the top card of the encounter deck) helps me a lot in Ithilien.

Then you can see if there's wargs or watchers and quest accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pharmboys2013 said:

Glaurung said:

 

Thorongil said:

 

The scenario is yet another reason that A Test of Will is the most important card in the game. Any deck I make that I want to beat multiple quests will use 3x A Test of Will and at least 2x Will of the West (to allow me to recur A Test of Will, among other cards). Until another sphere gains reliable methods to cancel scenario-breaking Treachery cards, any deck I run will have at least 1 Spirit hero, Song of Travel, or Aragorn plus Celebrian's Stone.

That said… If you learn which treacheries are likely to hit you, the scenario's not that hard if you have A Test of Will and can soak the early pressure (I like Frodo for that bit).

 

 

 

There is the way how to win without spirit and without Test of will. My Thorin Company deck can win all quests( Dol-Guldor is only one problem) and there is no spirit only Lore/Leadership.

 

 

How do u make it through Cair Andros? I feel like the deck doesn't have enough defense to quest successfully especially early game when traveling through the battlegrounds is so important. Playing with a second deck it can be done, but solo it's quite the obstacle 

I have played Cair Andros 5 times today, 4 times as a 2 player game and lost the lot. Then i tried solo tactics just out of interest and finally beat it. It was a heavy eagle deck with Defenders of Rammas and Winged Guardians helping me quest early on at 4 a piece (not bad for 2 cost allies). Hama was regenerating Feint which stopped the enemies. The Lieutenant of Mordor killed Beregond on stage 5 but with a Song of Kings i managed to Sneak Attack Gandalf in and added 2 Vassals to add questing power at 3 each for 1 token each. Try solo tactics a few times and see how you get on. Cheers ted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got to play this quest for the first time last night. My wife and I beat it on our first go through. She was playing a Spirit/Lore deck (Glorfindel, Frodo, and Elrond) and I was playing a solid Tactics deck (Beregond, Hama, & Legolas).

With the Battle and Siege keywords, those cheap eagle allies become super questers (Blocking Wargs is a big danger to them of course). Add Support of the Eagles and suddenly the Tactics deck is bringing some massive questing strength.

Support of the Eagles + Plus Rivendell Blade + Hands on the Bow + Legolas (+ Hama to retrieve Hands on the Bow) = Lots of dead enemies in the staging area w/ that nice bonus of an extra two Progress Tokens each time.

 

It was still close though. We both had 47 threat when we completed the 4th stage (We quested with a whooping 30 to burn through that stage!). A timely use of Test of Wills to cancel a Watcher in the Wood earlier in the game was part of what made our victory possible.

 

 

I think the Quest would have been VERY difficult with three or four players as those Blockin Wargs would have just kept coming out time and again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pharmboys2013 said:

Literally beat this quest yesterday (albeit on my second try) solo using a very similar version of Galarung's "Thorin and company" deck

I have to say, "hardy leadership" is so necessary to avoid the destruction of cheap allies from blocking wargs.  Everything else is managible 

Hardy leadership so powerfull and neccesery card for dwarfs deck. 

Really important one! Without this card many scenarious can be much more harder!

 

Still, Thotin company deck is broken! Should to get some errata!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tracker1 said:

RGun said:

 

Arghhh…after playing this quest solo 2-handed about 15 times over the last month and not yet winning I finally thought I was going to claim victory tonight only to have it snatched away from me at the last minute!  I was on the final quest stage and it looked like if I committed all my characters to the quest I could win through….so with 13 characters committed I started turning over encounter cards….wham…first card is the @#$%$ Watcher in the Wood…"When revealed raise each players threat by the number of questing characters".  Game Over.  Finished.  Nothing left to do but pack the cards away.

 

 

I've had that happen a few times.  The trechary cards are brutal in this quest, so I just tried a deck including Eleanor and three test of wills and two dwarves tombs to counter this.  In a solo one handed game last night, I used her, Beorn, and Beregond, and they really hung in their for the win.  21 rounds, 49 threat, and both Beregond and Beorn were destroyed.  I almost went through the encounter deck twice.  A lot of this is attributed to the consistent treachery cancelation of Eleanor and the spirit threat reduction cards she has access to.  What a game!

 

I tried adding some of the lore encounter deck manipulation cards to my deck, as well as Eleanor and still got destroyed 3 more times.  This quest just has me tied up in knots for some reason, to-date it's the only one other than the PODs that I haven't been able to win.  I've only played it solo 2-handed though, maybe it's easier solo with one deck.  I'm going to take a break for now and move onto Seige of Cair Andros…maybe some cards in the new Hobbit expansion will be what I need to get through it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted at all on these forums, but this quest has me as agitated as everyone else seems to be here. :)

Difficulty 4 ??? What a joke!!

We've played it maybe 15-20 times now (I lost count) and still not even close to a win.

Every other try we do we get stomped the first round. but most of the time we get as far as the Hidden Path (3B) and then we (more often than not) get smashed by the sheer impossibility of questing through that Path, since Enemies are piling up and we can't (are not alloewd to) deal with them.

We've tried almost every combination we can think of, Treachery Handling, attacking into the Staging Area, swarming out cheap Allies to sacrifice as Blockers etc. etc. BUt in the end we have reached the last Stage of this Quest maybe 3 times (out of 15-20 tries) and ever single time we get stomped when we do since our Threat is too high to handle +3/round for any period of time.

Like a lot of you guys we have played this game since it came out, we have at least one win in every scenario (even POD ones), but this one is still unbeaten.

Usually we play 2 player games, but we have also tried with 3 players…. 3 player games are the worst. We never get past the first Quest Stage.

Seems to me that this Quest has NO weak spot. Enemies are brutal, Treachery even more so. Locations is maybe the only thing you don't need to be able to handle all that well (because there are so few), but everything else is just horrible.

I'm reading the tips and trick you guys are sharing here and I'm thinking, "Yeah we tried that…. didn't work…" but we will continu to try…

Honestly… Difficulty 4? It has to be a missprint!?

/wolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For 3-4 player games my play group could not beat it unti we tried it one easy mode.  We had a victory then, but it was still tough.  Remember that Blocking Wargs was errated, so that it does not shuffle back into the encounter deck, not sure if you knew that, but even then it is tough.

We managed a few 2 player games, and solo I have a number of wins.  IMO, I think it's one of the toughest quests in the game, but I'm sure player cards in the future will cahnge this.  I'd say difficulty 10 for Three or more players and , difficulty 7 for solo to Two player on standard mode.

Do you really think they are going to nightmare mode this?  What could they do?  Maybe, they will be asking us to physically destroy cards at that point. Treachery:  Hero cards committed to the quest are removed form the game and burnt.   It would be a way for them to increase sales at least.

 

 

Troymk1 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tracker1 said:

For 3-4 player games my play group could not beat it unti we tried it one easy mode.  We had a victory then, but it was still tough.  Remember that Blocking Wargs was errated, so that it does not shuffle back into the encounter deck, not sure if you knew that, but even then it is tough.

We managed a few 2 player games, and solo I have a number of wins.  IMO, I think it's one of the toughest quests in the game, but I'm sure player cards in the future will cahnge this.  I'd say difficulty 10 for Three or more players and , difficulty 7 for solo to Two player on standard mode.

Do you really think they are going to nightmare mode this?  What could they do?  Maybe, they will be asking us to physically destroy cards at that point. Treachery:  Hero cards committed to the quest are removed form the game and burnt.   It would be a way for them to increase sales at least.

 

 

This is going to be the BEST nightmare deck conversion.  I can't wait to cry.

Troymk1 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted at all on these forums, but this quest has me as agitated as everyone else seems to be here. :)

Difficulty 4 ??? What a joke!!

We've played it maybe 15-20 times now (I lost count) and still not even close to a win.

Every other try we do we get stomped the first round. but most of the time we get as far as the Hidden Path (3B) and then we (more often than not) get smashed by the sheer impossibility of questing through that Path, since Enemies are piling up and we can't (are not alloewd to) deal with them.

We've tried almost every combination we can think of, Treachery Handling, attacking into the Staging Area, swarming out cheap Allies to sacrifice as Blockers etc. etc. BUt in the end we have reached the last Stage of this Quest maybe 3 times (out of 15-20 tries) and ever single time we get stomped when we do since our Threat is too high to handle +3/round for any period of time.

Like a lot of you guys we have played this game since it came out, we have at least one win in every scenario (even POD ones), but this one is still unbeaten.

Usually we play 2 player games, but we have also tried with 3 players…. 3 player games are the worst. We never get past the first Quest Stage.

Seems to me that this Quest has NO weak spot. Enemies are brutal, Treachery even more so. Locations is maybe the only thing you don't need to be able to handle all that well (because there are so few), but everything else is just horrible.

I'm reading the tips and trick you guys are sharing here and I'm thinking, "Yeah we tried that…. didn't work…" but we will continu to try…

Honestly… Difficulty 4? It has to be a missprint!?

/wolf

 

Maybe you want to give this combo a try:

 

Dain/Bifur/Denethor (threat 26)

Deck composition (53 cards – 30 lore, 18 leadership, 5 neutral): 23 events, 15 attachments, 15 allies.

Events: 3x Durin’s song, 1x Infighting, 2x Sneak attack, 3x Fresh tracks, 3x Expecting mischief, 3x Gildor’s counsel, 2x Radagast’s cunning, 2x Secret paths, 2x Rumour from the earth, 2x Shadow of the past

Attachments: 2x Steward of Gondor, 3x Cram, 2x King under the mountain, 3x Dunedain mark, 2x Protector of Lorien, 3x Ranger spikes

Allies: 2x Erebor hammersmith, 3x Warden of healing, 2x Gleowine, 1x Henamarth Riversong, 2x Ithilien Tracker, 2x Erebor Record Keeper, 3x Gandalf (old)

Thalin/Legolas/Dunhere (threat 26)

Deck composition (53 cards – 34 Tactics, 15 Spirit, 4 Neutral): 24 events, 15 attachments, 14 allies.

Events: 2x A test of will, 2x Hasty stroke, 3x Unseen strike, 2x Quick strike, 3x Khazad! Khazad!, 2x Feint, 1x Swift strike, 3x Hands upon the bow, 3x Hail of stones, 2x Foehammer, 1x Shadows of the past

Attachments: 1x Unexpected courage, 3x Light of Valinor, 3x Miruvor, 3x Great yew bow, 2x Gondolin Blade, 2x Rivendell blade, 1x Black Arrow

Allies: 3x Veteran axehand, 3x Winged guardian, 3x Vassal of the windlord, 2x Arwen, 3x Gandalf (new)

Edited by Figo3434

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah this is actually the reason I joined the forum. I wanted to rage against the utter ridiculousness that is Watcher In the Woods in a 3-4 player game. You think 13 threat is a bad number. Try roughly double that... or MORE in group playing an Outlands/Elrond Deck + another doing a Dwarf deck.

 

I love all these quests but frankly I STILL Haven't played a single of the new quests in the current cycle because my group has yet to create decks that can consistently beat Into Ithilien. 

 

I would label it all the same things as Rekath... but also add Humbling on to the list. It really makes me rethink every deck I have ever made.

 

Anyway...

 

 

Pharmboys2013 said:

 

Literally beat this quest yesterday (albeit on my second try) solo using a very similar version of Galarung's "Thorin and company" deck

I have to say, "hardy leadership" is so necessary to avoid the destruction of cheap allies from blocking wargs.  Everything else is managible 

 

 

Hardy leadership so powerfull and neccesery card for dwarfs deck. 

Really important one! Without this card many scenarious can be much more harder!

 

Still, Thotin company deck is broken! Should to get some errata!

 

Glaurung... you are errata-happy. I saw you posting on Tales From the Cards that you thought the Warden of Healing should be errata'd too. Chill mate :) Hahaha

Edited by Rainelotr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

I love all these quests but frankly I STILL Haven't played a single of the new quests in the current cycle because my group has yet to create decks that can consistently beat Into Ithilien. 

 

i made a secrecy deck that could beat ithillien consistently. theodred, glorfindel, bifur. the key is to mulligan for timely aid, get someone like gildor or haldir out in round 1 for pretty much nothing, play risk some light for nothing to manipulate the encounter deck so you can clear that first location first round

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds pretty cool. I'm thinking of modifying my current Ladies of Gondor/Rohan/palantir deck to include Glorfindel (the more powerful but less thematic choice in an all blue deck) and going in swinging with that secrecy style attempt and see what happens.

 

I love playing trisphere decks but they take much more planning than ye simply mono or bisphere choices... Theodred + Bifur are actually excellent choices to approach this problem. I will try that sometime soon. Thanks for the suggestion Rich!

richsabre likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully the following will help at least in solitaire play:

 

I find clearing Ithilien Road on turn once crucial in this quest. The one hero combination against Into Ithilien I have fared well with consists of Lore Aragorn, Spirit Glorfindel and Beorn (4 wins, 1 loss). If you send all three into the quest, you are pretty much guaranteed to clear the road:

 

13 quest power (Aragorn 3, Glorfindel 3, Beorn 5, Celador 2) vs. 3 threat (Southron Company), 4 quest points and a maximum of 4 threat from another Ithilien Road or the Mumak. 

 

If you happen to draw Haradrim Elite or Morgul Spider, Beorn will survive any undefended attack. By round two, you have six resources to get some help (e.g. Ithilien Tracker in this enemy-heavy quest, Ranger Spikes, Tactics defenders, Asfaloth for the  next time Ithilien Road shows up and the typical array of excellent cards well-known in the three spheres).

 

Keep in mind that this is the worst possible outcome and does not account for helpful 1-cost cards you might have on your hand for the first turn.

 

The great thing about Aragorn is that you can reset your threat for the final quest stage if you prefer to avoid Siege (it might actually be easier given the access to multiple Defenders of Rammas and Winged Guardians).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That makes a lot of sense. My problem is though I have started to enjoy a game of solitaire here and there, I still primarily play 3 player, with 2 and 4 player games scattered in for good measure.

Edited by Rainelotr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0