Sign in to follow this  
WombatMan

Next Expansion for Talisman

I think it would be neat to have an expansion based on a CASTLE theme. It doesn't have to be a "corner" expansion. Maybe it could just be another board. And maybe you could enter it from the CASTLE space in the middle region.

I've thought about this one myself. I didn't imagine it as a board, but as a card, similar in size to either the alt ending or Reaper/Werewolf cards where there could be scenarios based on dice rolls.  This card would have or need a little stanchion to help it stand upright, on the space, and players landing there could either follow the regular space instructions (heal, return Prince/ess, etc.) or choose the options on the card or the die roll would happen.

Back before someone told me that FFG would never have sets/concepts that 'require' any other expansions, I thought it would be neat to have an option, die-roll, etc. to find a passage way in the Castle that could take you to other regions ( the library space in the Dungeon seems like a spot for a secret passage).

I've also thought that other court 'characters' as NPCs could juice up the game in different ways. A Queen who needs safe passage from the castle to the City (rewards!).  A duke or nobleman who can hire or give you special items.

Good ideas!

Never say never about FFG making an expansion that depends on other expansions. They did it for Arkham Horror in the shape of Miskatonic Horror which includes new content for the core game and seven of its expansions! Even the latest PoD expansion for Mansions of Madness requires the core game and Forbidden Alchemy.

That's not to say they would do the same for Talisman, but I suppose if enough people were clamouring for it, they might think about it.

Never say never about FFG making an expansion that depends on other expansions. They did it for Arkham Horror in the shape of Miskatonic Horror which includes new content for the core game and seven of its expansions! Even the latest PoD expansion for Mansions of Madness requires the core game and Forbidden Alchemy.

Not to mention House Baratheon for Battles of Westeros, that should implement (IIRC) material from different expansions. And back in the Days of Old, Descent's first edition The Tomb of Ice had levels to be added to the Road to Legend deck. Don't know really what's in the future of Talisman, but it's a great line, with many expansions and followers, so the idea of a blender expansion doesn't sound so impossible to me.

Let's see what happens, though

That's not to say they would do the same for Talisman, but I suppose if enough people were clamouring for it, they might think about it.

Well I guess you're suggesting that we can continue imaging such possible expansions.  Really opens up a lot of speculation. I often wonder how much of their implementations come from observing these speculations.  

I guess in the case of game flaws or mechanics, to be reasoned out in faqs, is one idea.

Perhaps if enough good ideas or way-arounds certain 'issues' with Dragons or whatever, they might do it, too.

The one idea I have thought about is a 10-sided die to be thrown with the six sided die.  On the 10 sided die would be:

1.  A Symbol with Grilipus to invoke any cards to be drawn from his deck.

2.  A symbol with Varthrax to invoke any cards drawn to be from his deck.

3.  A Symbol with Cadorus to invoke any cards to be drawn from his deck.

4.  A symbol to activate the Werewolf

5.  A symbol to activate the Reaper

6.  One side with a day/night symbol to change whether it is day or night.

7-8.  Two sides with a Dragon Symbol signifying the drawing of a dragon token. One change would be that no tokens are placed on the board since cards will be drawn anyway(This would alleviate some of the congestion of the playing area.

9-10.  Two sides blank; No effect  (Or other mechanics that may be added)

What? Ten siders? That's pure HERESY!  :P

Heresy? HA! I love D10's. I have never thought enough games use them. I have always thought Tabletop wargames should use them since they work so much better for balancing out a game and adding diversity to the armies. 2d6, d66.....those combinations irk me.

I think it would be neat to have an expansion based on a CASTLE theme. It doesn't have to be a "corner" expansion. Maybe it could just be another board. And maybe you could enter it from the CASTLE space in the middle region.

I've thought about this one myself. I didn't imagine it as a board, but as a card, similar in size to either the alt ending or Reaper/Werewolf cards where there could be scenarios based on dice rolls.  This card would have or need a little stanchion to help it stand upright, on the space, and players landing there could either follow the regular space instructions (heal, return Prince/ess, etc.) or choose the options on the card or the die roll would happen.

Back before someone told me that FFG would never have sets/concepts that 'require' any other expansions, I thought it would be neat to have an option, die-roll, etc. to find a passage way in the Castle that could take you to other regions ( the library space in the Dungeon seems like a spot for a secret passage).

I've also thought that other court 'characters' as NPCs could juice up the game in different ways. A Queen who needs safe passage from the castle to the City (rewards!).  A duke or nobleman who can hire or give you special items.

Good ideas!

Really good ideas as well!  Especially the quest idea

It seems to make sense, of course, and it also may tie in,  or be able to be tied in to the Dragons expansion, since the Dragons live/come from The Firelands.

The Ifrits are the Spirits forced by the Old Wizard to create the Crown that was hidden in the Firelands.

Of course, the Ifrits are really, most likely the more earthly/temporal manifestation of the Spirits enslaved by the Wizard. Still with great power to mess with the game.

They are making it easier... or impossible to not . . . enter the Inner Region and make a stab at the Crown. What is their true game? Do they want Adventurers to kick some Dragon butt ? I can see where this can be optional, or easily considered from a home-brew point of view:

To wit, my wife, who never gets as enthusiastic about the "new" expansions (till we start playing them) asked me if they'll take care of the proliferation of Dragon scales. We use each expansion set produced with the occasional non-use of the Dragon Realm inlay board, though we keep the concept of Dragon scales. But mostly with the Realm side (have not used the Tower side at all, yet) and all the other stuff. It makes it pretty hard to get to the CoC, for us, in our 2 player games.

My thought would be that some home-brewers might want to (and this is all theoretical, based on how the mechanics actually work in The Firelands) have an option where if there were no other 'burnable' cards effected by this mechanic, *but* there was / were Dragon scales . . .   maybe the scales could be burnt from the game.

Of course this leads to other speculations or home-brew thoughts: 

1) would there be a retaliation effect( that Dragon's deck is drawn and encountered, or a rage is encurred, etc.)?

2) how about this only effects the Dragons who are not the Lord. The reigning Lord is immune to such burning.

... well, I'm obviously eager for this game, but main point will be : how much of a connection or tie-in will Firelands have with Dragons, and/or other sets.

I do think the mechanic of burning cards is quite novel, and timely, as that seems to be another constant comment by players; that there are so many cards and some of them linger for so very long.

* be careful what we wished for!

To find the best balance using together all the expansions will be a true art in this game! hehe...

I am thinking in to use the Dragon cards ONLY in the Tower side in the inner region. In my version of the lore, to play in this way, the dragons aren´t powerful enough to leave the Inner region, but they are really powerful IN the Inner region. 

In the same way, i use the Reaper ONLY in the Middle Region, and the werewolf ONLY in the Outer Region.

The other big expansion regions have not problem because they have their respective adventure cards. And what about to mix the frost expansion with the firelands? I see no problem with that. A "contest" of powers striving...

Edited by arkiva

Now those are interesting ideas, arkiva. I see the logic with the Dragons.

I am not so sure I want to exclude The Reaper or the Werewolf from the surrounding regions; Death should be able to go anywhere.

But I could see where the Werewolf might be able to enter the Dungeons or Highland, but not the City (bright lights would make him wary?), Likewise, perhaps the Middle regions, has more potential guards - the Castle, Temple... - and other enchanted or magical areas that might keep the Werewolf away.

so my compromise would be yes, Dragon/cards in the Tower, Death everywhere, because... Death, and The Werewolf cannot traverse the river to the middle region - they really don't like getting wet I hear, but they do fine in the Dungeon or Highlands. City has Bright lights, more guards, and a river too, nearby, possibly slightly encircling, so the Werewolf would stay away there too.